Trojan remover?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by notageek, Mar 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I first would like to say It's good to see this forum back up. I was having withdraws. ;)
    Anyone every tried Trojan Remover? Is it any good? Anyone know about the updates? How much is it updated? Is it just a scanner or does it have a resident? Does it work well with McAfee 7.0? Thanks.

2. angel

angel Registered Member

22. district, Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth
    Well ... if you are using McAfee 7.0, why do you want to use a trojan scanner? McAfee has a very powerfull unpacking engine and a strong trojan detection. Since version 7.0 it has process memory scanning, too. So why do you want to use a trojan scanner?

3. JacK

JacK Registered Member

Hello,

No resident but an option to scan at startup programs starting. No heuristic engine, only sig DB.
    Updated when needed, once or twice a week.
    No known issue with McAfee.

Rgds,

4. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

5. notageek

Thanks Pete and Jack.

Angelo, Thanks for your info also.

6. peakaboo

peakaboo Registered Member

Hey Notageek,

good to c ya.

I tried Trojan Remover back in Dec 2002. I liked it.

Scan was very fast as I recall.

On a Win ME machine, I got a clean initial scan, but when I ran a scan on my hard drive the file secur32.dll was cited as having scorpina (remote access trojan). I assumed it was a false positive, and did not remove or rename.

Turned out to be a wise decision on my part as Nigel confirmed in an email stating:

Trojan Remover hit 92.5% detection rate 7/3/02 PC Flank review

Very good in this review, just behind KA & Tauscan.

Kaspersky Antivirus 94.5%
    Tauscan 94.1%
    TrojanRemover 92.5%
    Trojan Defence Suite (TDS) 91.7%
    Dr. Web 233 of 256 91.0%

My only caveat is if your scan comes up with something, make sure you feel comfortable it is not a false positive. Not a big deal as this can happen with any similar software.

7. notageek

Hi peakaboo, good to see ya also. I'm going to download it and try it before I buy it. lol Thanks for the info.

8. xor

xor Guest

Kaspersky Antivirus 242 of 256 94.5%

256 Trojans ? :D HAHA *ROFL*

they should test with at least 10.000 Trojans - then let's see how much space is between Kaspersky and the 2nd place :D :D :D

9. peakaboo

Maybe PC Flank test lopped off 97.5% of your 10k sample criteria to just give you the best of the new in the wild view.

ROTF ;)

If you have a better test (with a bigger sample of trojans), post the link.

At any rate, all those who are enamored of Trojan Hunter should look at these results and take a pause eh...

10. notageek

I tried TH and didn't like it that much.

11. muf

muf Guest

That test was a long time ago in Anti-Trojan software terms. its also far too long in terms of the amount and the intelligence of some of the trojans that are appearing currently. You condemn Trojan Hunter for its performance in that test but it a relatively new product and in those days it was just breaking onto the scene. To use those results now is ludicrous.

I myself have TrojanHunter and the current version is a lot better than the version used in that test. I also use KAV4 and PestPatrol4. All fully paid. All three are on that test but i take no notice of their performance in those tests because the tests were far too long ago to mean anything now.

What you need is a comprehensive test done in the last 2 months. I don't know of one to be honest but until one appears there really is little point in looking at those test results. What next, a review from 1999?

muf

12. peakaboo

Relative performance at any recent (within last 6 mos) point in time is a data point worth considering.

For some your 2 month criteria may be dated.

I don't own either program so I have no vested interest in which is better.

I have heard of quantum leaps in tech development, but doubt the relative performance today would be significantly different from 6 or so months ago.

more info:

http://www.simplysup.com/tremover/details.html

Trojan Remover's database currently holds 6715 individual trojan/worm signatures (including variants) [as at 17th March 2003].

compare that to Trojan Hunter, if you can find the same info for this program.

13. notageek

Yeah how many trojans/worms sigs are in TH and TDS?

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

That's easy for TDS:

[Init] • Systems Initialised [23144 references - 7382 primaries/5976 traces/9786 variants/other] (as of today's update).

I'm not really sure about TH, though - c'mon TH users - don't be shy!
    (The 3/18 update contains 5579 detection rules, whatever that means). Pete

15. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

The test mentioned earlier was from a trojan dump on the net, there was some specimens that were source code, and some that were clients only.. that said, it was a well known place a lot of users got their trojans, so those that did poorly were a bit disappointing :doubt:

16. Gavin - DiamondCS

TDS database grows at an exponential rate for the last year, and still coming. TDS doesnt care about VBS worms, as it detects many generically, and Wormguard detects them far too easily (close to if not 100% rate) and is automatic. Radius4 engine / database has thousands more signatures being added for detection sake :)

This is hardly development, but it shows on these "tests". However, TDS also has large number of generic detection IN the database which are added as per needed, and advanced signature database which is pure code we hide in there to detect some.. things. This is some actual development more so than signatures. Many powerful trojan detection routines are unknown, and rarely mentioned. It is for our users protection that they are there, not for tests :)

The current stats were mentioned, add to that an unknown number of modified variants detected by these methods.

17. notageek

TDS is good but it's a little pricey for me. :)

18. angel

angel Registered Member

22. district, Vienna, Austria, Europe, Earth
    >TDS doesnt care about VBS worms, as it detects many generically,
    >and Wormguard detects them far too easily (close to if not 100%
    >rate) and is automatic.

Well, i think you will agree if i say: VBS worms aren't an issue.

19. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

On the say-so of Calamity Jane & a couple of others, I gave Trojan Remover a trial run. After just 3 days I bought it.

During those 3 days it went from ver 4.9.9 to 5.0.0 & updated its DB twice. The updater worked smooth as silk for the new version and for the DB updates.

It scans strictly on-demand, which is just what I need for my old box. It seemed to me that it scans pretty fast, but take my statement with a grain of salt -- this is the very first AT I have ever installed so I have no basis for comparison.

A button click gives you a full, alphabetized list of its DB. That list also has a pretty good search function. The latest db update says it has "6728 unique trojan signatures."

Good to see Wilders forum is back.

moo goo gai pan......bellgamin

20. Gavin - DiamondCS

Hi notageek,

How much is TDS-3 plus a free upgrade worth to you ? ;) And why ?

bellgamin, all the best with your choice :)

Angelo Bachmayr, glad we agree on that, VBS were somewhat a fad for a while there :) .. now its P2P spreading that seems to be the "in" thing

21. peakaboo

notageek,

c what u started :)

FYI, I'm kinda in AB's camp. seems like u would be covered having McAfee. Even the 5.21 scan engine covers a bunch of Trojans, & last time I looked did very well on In the wild tests. Since u have Mc7 u should be in good shape.

When I ran TR, my objective was to verify my system was clean. If I ever suspected a Trojan, I would run again as necessary, also easy enough to do a netstat or netstat -a in dos window.

Short of that just wait for a² (Ants) and be careful where you surf, click on, or open in an email - you should be ok, but you know all that, bears repeating for others who may not.

http://www.a-2.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=1&sid=b5674360dbdef8482814adcec026ab42

BTW, good to see Andreas tweak so that all Windows OS can enjoy...

also ck here:

http://www.virusbtn.com/vb100/archives/tests.xml?200302

although these guys probably do not test for trojan or worm detection, or maybe they do I don't know, it should give you some comfort when you see McAfee's scan engine though not 7 mentioned in the 100% category.

22. notageek

Gavin, I read the the home page and seen the $99 and didn't relize it was for all 3 programs. My goof. But in all fairness trojan remover $25 less than TDS. I'm sure they offer (or offered) a free update when they change from 4.8 to 5.0.

Peakaboo, I should of listened to my mom when she told me whan I was young not to start anything just finish it. lol Yeah I might not even woorry about a AT. I don't click on links unless I trust the person that sends it. I don't open attachments. A2 (don't know how to make the little 2) looks cool but it's still in alpha, right? Thanks for the info.

23. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

To do the little 2, hold ALT and tap 0178(on numpad), then release ALT, and ta-da A²
    ;)

24. notageek

Thanks Tinribs.

25. peakaboo

just an append here...

Don't know how many machines are still out there using Win 95 & soon to be pulled from M$ support win 98.

One way to stop M$ from rolling over consumers (lining their pockets at consumers expense) and forcing upgrades when existing OS works fine is for great programs & programmers to allow their software to work with all versions of Windows to the extent possible.

Examples of great programs which I am aware of that are compatible with win95:

Proxomitron
    AdShield
    Cookie Wall
    Look n Stop
    Spybot Search & Destroy
    Script Defender

to name but a few...

It's looking like Andreas will try and add a² support to this outstanding list. Hope so anyway...
    ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.