NOD32 2.5: EMON scanning pop3 accounts?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by mystp, May 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mystp

mystp Guest

I've just done an over-the-top NOD32 v2.5 install and the EMON module has been added. I'm running Outlook 2003, so that's fine.

However, I thought EMON was for scanning IMAP accounts only? If so, I find it slightly odd that it seems to be scanning my Outlook files, considering that I'm only using a POP3 account (it reports having scanned 15 files since v2.5 was installed).
    Since I'm not using any IMAP accounts, should I just disable the EMON-module - even though it appears to be scanning something?
    Also, is NOD32 effectively scanning files twice, considering I have IMON running as well?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi Asbjoern, EMON is designed for MS Outlook, so it would appear to be working well...

Cheers :D

3. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

Does EMON scan e-mail from Outlook Express as well?

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

No, this is what IMON does.

Cheers :D

5. mystp

mystp Guest

I seem to recall that EMON was previously only for scanning IMAP accounts within Outlook, and that IMON took care of POP3 account scanning. And given that I only have POP3 accounts registered in Outlook, is there any point in having EMON running?

Perhaps EMON's functionality has changed with this new release to include POP3 scanning as well?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Imon is the pop3 scanner.

7. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

EMON is a MAPI scanner as opposed to IMON which scans the POP3/HTTP traffic.

8. mystp

mystp Guest

Thanks everyone for your replies.

Now, since EMON is a MAPI-scanner, I'm quite puzzled why it's scanning my Outlook mails - as I have only set up two POP3 accounts in Outlook and no MAPI accounts whatsoever. EMON is currently reporting to have scanned 44 files.

Anyone know the explaination?

Thanks,
    - Asbjoern

9. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Since EMON is a MAPI scanner, it scans all data sent/received via MS Outlook.

10. rseiler

rseiler Registered Member

I don't follow. My Outlook 2003 is configured for POP3 accounts, like the OP, not for MAPI-style corporate email accounts like MS Exchange. These are two entirely different things. IMON is what's doing the checking of all POP3 mail. Unfortunately, EMON is doing it too, unless it's disabled, which it is now for me.

I'd actually like to have EMON deleted from Control Center, since I know I'll never use it and don't need my mail checked twice, but there doesn't appear to be an option to do that.

I think shipping NOD32 so that EMON is running for anyone using MS Outlook is a mistake; it should distinguish how Outlook is being used first. Very few people would know at a glance that it should be IMON and not EMON doing the work for the home user.

11. alglove

alglove Registered Member

Would it be fair to say that EMON scans all the e-mail in Outlook, regardless of how it got there (POP3, IMAP4, Exchange, other...)?

12. rseiler

It sure appears that way, but the mystery is why. Even Eset's own page says:

"IMPORTANT NOTE: When the MAPI Interface is not used on the computer EMON is not needed and therefore will NOT be installed. The e-mails incoming via the POP3 protocol will be checked by IMON."

I don't think NOD32's installer cares what you're doing with Outlook; if it sees it, you get EMON, period. And that's just wrong for millions of home users.

13. alglove

alglove Registered Member

On the other hand, you have more and more home users using stuff like GMail, with its SSL encryption. IMON cannot scan SSL encrypted e-mail (because of the encrpytion), but EMON can, because it scans it after decrpytion. Of course, this is limited to Outlook, and is not available to other e-mail programs.

14. meichelman

meichelman Registered Member

And then there's Outlook Express configured with IMAP. Cannot use IMON because it's limited to POP3 only. Cannot use EMON because it's limited to Outlook only.

Unfortunately, this is my configuration, so I get no benefit from NOD32 email scanning.

15. rseiler

That's an interesting loophole! Incidentally, if you use IMAP in the style that I think it's meant to be used, wherein mail is kept on the server and not downloaded (otherwise you'd just configure for POP3, right?), how would NOD32 ever get at it (let's say in the fictional case where EMON was able to handle IMAP in any mail client)?

In trying to make sense of this thread, I guess one thing in favor of EMON is that it scans outgoing mail too, in addition to having a lot of other mail-specific tweaking features, unlike IMON. There's an argument to be made for Outlook users to disable IMON's POP3 and just use EMON. In a future version, Eset could eliminate IMON's POP3 entirely once they've made EMON work with any mail client (at least for POP3/IMAP).

Similarly, DMON would be superfluous relative to AMON once the latter incorporates the tiny bit extra that DMON does.

Consolidation and simplification should be high on the list of ideas for v3.0.

16. meichelman

meichelman Registered Member

The messages are still downloaded by the email client and stored in local data stores (what type depends on the client software), so the messages could be scanned as they are downloaded. The messages are just not deleted from the server without your request. Much like POP3 with the "leave a copy of the messages on the server" checked. IMAP, however, synchronizes all messages local to server on each connection.

17. nonmirecordo

nonmirecordo Registered Member

I haven't got Outlook installed (I use Poco) but EMON was activated. I've de-activated it. Can anyone foresee any problems?

18. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Unfortunatly since the developers have not really explained why EMON is now installed by default for those of us using PoP3 and not MAPI nor updated there websites FAQ section to reflect the new product. The whole discussion reminds me of Abott and Costello's Whose on first routine.

19. COSMO26

COSMO26 Registered Member

What a thrill to see this frustrating subject discussed as I perceive it! I confessed previously to confusion about the role of EMON on a stand-alone (or non-network computer {& I understand MAPI strictly as a Network tool) with Outlook and I never saw one Reply. The phrase "EMON is for Outlook users" is the typical mantra but if it really is for "Outlook users using MAPI, or for those who Aren't MAPI but want Outgoing emails scanned", then that's what should be in the Help material. Leaving out a word or two is too common in posts when one knows so much that presumptions are inadvertantly made that the "left-out word or phrase" is understood by all. I hope a moderator will clear this confusion up in "Layman's terms" as it is apparent I'm not the only confused soul out here.

20. jayt

jayt Registered Member

Unfortunately, this is no longer the case. Emon is installed regardless of what is or is not on the computer. Of course it can be deactivated, but it would be better to have an option just not to install it.

21. orthocross

orthocross Registered Member

1) I have MS Outlook 2003 installed in Internet-only mode. MS Outlook 2003 is my only email client. I use Outlook Express solely for newsgroups. My email account type is POP3, not MAPI or IMAP.
    2) On my system, EMON was installed when I installed 2.5.
    3) I have enabled IMON.
    4) I have disabled IMON email checking. At first, I had IMON email checking turned on, and both IMON and EMON placed signatures in all my incoming email. Didn't like this, so I did "4)" below.
    5) I have disabled IMON's placing a signature in email. This was probably not needed, since I have IMON email checking turned off, but who knows.
    6) I have EMON enabled, and it checks all incoming and outgoing email. Since my email account is POP3, I know that EMON checks POP3 accounts.
    7) I have enabled EMON's placing a signature in all incoming email, and all outgoing email infected with a virus.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.