Upgrade on top or clean install?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by beethoven, May 12, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

I am not a beta person so I waited for the final release.

On the release thread fredra posted
    Thanks Fredra but I am still wondering if this is this the official opinion of Eset or if a clean install is preferred? :eek:

2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

You will be fine going straight over the top.

Cheers :D

3. beethoven

beethoven Registered Member

Thanks Blackspear for the quick response and for already providing your Extra Settings. I appreciate how much work has gone in that :-* - it's a great help. :D

Btw, aren't they gutsy to release the new version on Friday, 13th?

4. Blackspear

My pleasure, and yes it took a great deal of time :D

ROFLMAO, nice pick up there :D

5. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I was wondering the same thing, I usually always do a clean install whenever I update to a new version of a program, but if it will install over the top fine, then I might as well do it that way. Two questions though, will my settings be retained? And if I do a fresh install how is NOD32 about un-installing? Does it do it cleanly without messing things up? BTW its the 12th here :D

6. Blackspear

Yes if you install over the top.

Really good, just use Add and Remove Programs in the Windows Control Centre.

Indeed it does, it’s a well built program, and that includes uninstalling :D

Ahhh you are in my yesterday, which means we are in your future ;) :D

Last edited: May 13, 2005
  7. LuckMan212

LuckMan212 Registered Member

well, here's an argument for the [GLOW=""]CLEAN INSTALL[/GLOW]
    I did the 'upgrade on top' install over my 2.12 installation. Everything seemed fine, but in my NOD32 Control Center, under Threat Protection Modules, the "NOD32" module was missing.

I had to do a complete uninstall/removal and re-install in order to get it back. Hmmm... o_O

8. Blackspear

On occasion there will be a glitch, in such instances you have to take the 2nd option as you have found out...

9. Xophile

Xophile Registered Member

The NOD32 module was also missing on my XP machine after I did an "over-the-top" installation from v 2.12.

As Blackspear said earlier, NOD32 is a very well built program and the uninstall deletes everything. I uninstalled, restarted my machine and then checked for my NOD32 folder, it was completely erased. I checked and searched in my registry and everything was clean there too.

My suggestion is that you unplug your network cable, uninstall NOD32 2.12 and restart. After that you can install the 2.5 version and everything will work perfectly!

Hope this helps!

Regards

Matt

10. Matt_Smi

Good to know it un-installs nice, I think I will just go for the fresh install, the only thing I am worried about is it messing up my network connection or LSP Stack, because IMON is integrated into it.

11. Elray

Elray Registered Member

Just thought I would mention that I opted for an "over the top" installation which seems have gone really well. No problems that I can find so far. Updated manually and ran a complete system scan with no glitches. All modules are present and correct and there are no rendering problems in evidence. My settings were retained but I used Blackspear's new settings guide and altered them in line with the recommendations there.

I have two queries - I used to notice that AMON was clicking through files continually and that doesn't seem as evident with this installation - but the count goes up with every file opened so it is obviously working. Secondly, I am not sure if I missed something in the settings post but in the NOD32 set up (scanner) what are the best settings under the "actions" tab for the Operating Memory. I have the radio button "Prompt for Action" checked. Is that right?

Elray :D

PS I'm a pretty happy camper where NOD is concerned.

12. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

I wonder if its only when updating from 2.12?..
    I updated from 2.13 and had no such problems at all. :doubt:

13. Matt_Smi

I just went ahead and did a clean install. Worked perfectly, I just finished setting it up with the “extra” settings like I had last time, only took about 5 minutes this time though; I think the default options are much better in this version. Sure is nice to have my IMON compatibility list cleared out!

14. Blackspear

After seeing yet another issue with installing over the top over 2.12.3, I think it might be time to change my advice, and uninstall and reinstall become advisable from here on in.

Cheers

Blackspear :D

15. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

I think it might, at least where NT based systems are concerned...

I updated my Win 98 SE system without a hitch. Mind you, I did shut down Nod32 first, then, using Process Explorer, ended task on the remaining Nod32 process (if I remember well it wasn't listed in Task Manager there).

Still, maybe this should be looked at again. It would be nice if people could simply update, being given the choice to keep curreent settings...

16. windstrings

windstrings Registered Member

Not sure thats the issue... for myself I run XP Pro and had no problems updating over the top of my existing... I've done it to 3 systems so far.

I wonder if its more a problem of something not being able to release and shut down properly on some systems in order to get updated or overwritten... of course you would think in the reboot process that would be resolved?.. so I'm only guessing.

At any rate it seems those that get it done successfully have no problems.. so its either gonna take or its not?

Maybe folks can try an overwrite update in order to keep thier settings and if it doesn't work then revert to and uninstall - reinstall technique?

17. TonyKlein

TonyKlein Security Expert

Well, that's my guess as well (dlls getting unloaded, service being stopped and removed, and so on).

However, not being a programmer I won't be able to offer more than a more or less educated guess...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.