Some final questions about Kaspersky...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Sputnik, May 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

I know there are already a lot of threats about Kaspersky, but I've some additional questions...
    Right now I'm testing McAfee VirusScan Enterprise, but I feel like switching back to F-Secure. Now I got a licence for "System Mecanic Professional" from a OEM cd from a friends pc. Crap utilities, but also a one year license for Kaspersky Personal, and that's nice imho :D

I've got a couple questions about Kaspersky and the ADS too:

1) ADS are a part of the filesystem (NTFS) so files copied to a FAT32 partition or send over the internet don't contain the ADS data?
    2) Can the use of ADS be turned off in this Personal version?
    3) Where can you download the official Kaspersky ADS Remover? I searched for it, but couldn't find... Only the one from Sysinternals with RejZoR's GUI.
    4) How are your experiences with the overall stability of this one? For example after 3 years F-Secure it never ever let my system crash or show BSOD's.
    5) What are the advantages of Kaspersky above F-Secure (weird question, but maybe there are already users who tried them both :) )

Thanks in advance, please give your comments :)

Last edited: May 9, 2005
  2. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

i think the advantages of kaspersky are that they get updates before f-secure.

and the advantages of f-secure are that they have the same scan engine (same detection) as kaspersky plus others. Including the f-secure scanengine

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OK Here are your answers for the little I know :D

1)FAT32 partitions don't have ADS :)
    2)Yes, if you do a custom install (KAV 5.0.227 Personal), you have the option to not install the iStreams (ADS) feature.
    3)Dunno :doubt: <but I do know that KAV 6.0 will clean up KAV 5's ADS>
    4)Kaspersky was relatively light and stable during my trial period
    5)Faster updates, and Extended bases (KAV does a bit better than F-Secure for Adware/Spyware/Riskware detection - but sometimes F-Secure pulls ahead, so they're pretty much equal there :))

4. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

1-2 covered by others
    3 http://www.kaspersky.com/faq?qid=156666512 , but the sysinternal one is better imo
    4 very stable
    5 f-secure is using way more resources, and is far slower than kav on my system, updates arent incremental (i think), kav seems to score better in tests than f-secure, which is strange considering f-secure's got 2 extra scanning engines. maybe it has to do with definition updates raeching f-secure users later

5. richrf

richrf Registered Member

One alternative you might want to consider is getting KAV 4.5 (very stable) from ICE Systems and moving to 5.0 when the MP3 beta is complete and the latest version looks stable. Kaspersky has stated that 4.5 and 5.0 use the same databases and scan/detection engine.

http://forum.kaspersky.com/index.php?showforum=16

Rich

6. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

7. Sputnik

Do 5.0 registration keys work on this 4.5?

8. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Yep, it works! :D

9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

ICE Systems says that will sell 4.5 Personal (even thought they told I had to purchase Pro when I purchasing). I would stay away from 5.0 Pro. You cannot suppress ADS during the install and they are extremely difficult to get rid of (if at all possible) once they are on.

If you try out 4.5 Personal, the main thing is to determine whether you want to use the extended database and then you have to go to their website or check back here on how to set the Update so that it retrieves extended databases.

Rich

10. Sputnik

Thanks all for help... One little thing: http://www.useice.com/_chtnarm.htm only mentions the Personal Pro 4.5? I need the normal Personal right?

EDiT:
    Using the Personal 5.0 without iStreams under VMware now, working stable so far, system impact is slightly higher however then F-Secure, but I see what I can tweak with the settings :)

Last edited: May 10, 2005
  11. SSK

SSK Registered Member

4.5 personal and pro work with the same key. Pro features are disabled when a personal key is used. :)

12. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

13. Sputnik

o_O An echo for what my friend ;)

14. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi StyleWarz,

Pro is more expensive and I don't think you need it. I would suggest that you contact their sales support or you go to their forum and ask how you can get a copy of Personal 4.5. They have stated on their forum that they will make Personal available to customers who want it.

I have to admit the overall sales policy of KAV is pretty chaotic. Someone else mentioned that the Swiss site has Personal 4.5. But don't pay anymore than you have to. ICE made me pay for a Pro and then several months later they tell another user that Personal is available for the asking. Kind of rubbed me the wrong way.

Rich

15. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Please read:
    To add: a custom install gives the opportunity to NOT install the pro components.

Last edited: May 11, 2005
  16. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

17. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.