Risk when excluding a program in IMON.

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by cdysthe, May 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cdysthe

cdysthe Registered Member

Hi,

To have Azureus and nod32 work together I have had to exclude javaw.exe from IMON or my system will hang on BT transfers. It is not enough to exclude Azureus itself since it's the Java VM that takes care of business. What risk am I running having such an exclusion in IMON? Since I am not able to find any other solution to this problem I hope it's not major.. :)

I am using nod32 2.50.9 Beta and Azureus 2.3.0.0

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

have u tried reading this thread? maybe it could help. i myslef have no issues with emule or shareaza.

3. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

Hi,

Not an answer to cdysthe, just a "me too" post.

No problems with NOD32 and previous versions of Azureus, but the new release 2.3.0.0 quickly sends cpu usage to 100%

On the Azureus site is the following description on how to add javaw.exe to the IMON exclusion list
    http://azureus.aelitis.com/wiki/index.php/ConfiguringNOD32

They also suggest making sure you have the latest java release 1.5.0.03, but it made no difference on my PC.

I don't know why this would now be an issue with the new Azureus version, perhaps I should have stayed with the previous release :p

As far as I'm aware I don't currently utilise any other Java apps so adding javaw.exe to the exclusion list in imon might not be too bad, apart from web pages that specifically launch java code i guess??

SimonW

4. dvk01

dvk01 Global Moderator

excluding java from checks by imon is extremely dangerous

The java VM is the way that a lot of newer malwares get installed by them using malformed or hidden applets

OK java itself SHOULD warn of something wnating to download and ask you to click yes, but you might think you are downloading something legitimate and get a very unexpected surprise

All P2P file shring carries risks and turning off part of your AV real time protection ism very risky

Hopefully AMON will catch anything bad as it activates but I wopuld preferr to get it blocked from downlaoding in the first place, which is what IMON does

5. SimonW

SimonW Registered Member

I guess, this is why the java approach has always been less appealing to me.

Every application has to be handled through the same javaw.exe process rather than on a program by program basis.

It would so much better (in this case) to be able to turn off imon just for the azureus program and not for all java apps. Equally true on the firewall side as well, having to grant control to javaw.exe and not the individual apps.

SimonW

6. msanto

msanto Registered Member

Might be time to look for a different (non-Java based) torrent client! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.