SpywareBlaster v2.5 released!

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by javacool, Mar 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. javacool

javacool BrightFort Moderator

*NEW* SpywareBlaster v2.5 has been released! (along with a new website)

A significant number of features have been added to version 2.5 of SpywareBlaster including:

-Spyware/tracking cookie protection
    -System Snapshot (more about this on the webpage)
    -Extra Tools
    -Proxy configuration settings
    -Refined interface
    -Help file

Short System Snapshot description: Take a snapshot of your computer in its clean state, and use System Snapshot later to revert many changes made by spyware and browser hijackers!

Information and download is available at the new webpage: http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html

Enjoy! :D

-Javacool

P.S. Donation information is available on the right side of the page... ;)

2. javacool

SpywareBlaster v2.5.1 has been released.

It includes a few bug fixes, and other misc. tweaks. If you Check for Updates with the version 2.5.0, you will be alerted that a new version is available - just download again from http://www.wilderssecurity.net/spywareblaster.html and you'll be all set. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

3. biga

biga Registered Member

Should we uninstall the old version first?

TIA

4. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

Thanks for the great work jc.

Cheers, TAS

5. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

just downloaded, wasn't sure about installing over old, so I uninstalled the Protection first, then uninstalled the program, reinstalled the new one, and all is fine.

Nice new features, especially the cookie protection. GREAT.

:) :)

Cheers, TAS

6. biga

biga Registered Member

Tks Tassie. In absence of any other answers I'm following you and uninstall first too ;)

7. javacool

Sorry for the late reply.

Whether you uninstall the old version first or install over-the-top, the SpywareBlaster installer can handle all the necessary changes. :)

Best regards,

-Javacool

8. mapsonx

mapsonx Registered Member

Hi Javacool,

As of this moment, the Wilders download page

http://www.wilders.org/downloads.htm

is still offering v2.5.

May cause some confusion when one "checks for update" & the advisory that a later version existes emerges, but the person thinks he just d\l'ed the latest issue.

As always, thx for the excellent work.

- J - :D

9. mowergun

mowergun Registered Member

Hi,

I uninstalled the older version of spywareblaster, downloaded and installed the 2.5.1 version, created a snapshot restore point, but then when I put a tick next to "Restore system to saved snapshot point" and clicked "go" to view the snapshot point it said "no system snapshots found for current user". I browsed to the spywareblaster folder with windows explorer and there were two files with an "sss" extension, one was ssave0.sss and the other was sslist.sss but nothing with the name that I gave the restore point when I created the snapshot. I have no user profiles set up on this comp, what am I doing wrong?

Mowergun

P.S. BTW, great program, thank you, Just went to PayPal

10. tahoma

tahoma Guest

hmmm, i was very supsiciouis about this, because 1: it redirects to a new site and 2: drweb picks up 2 trojans in spywareblaster 2.5. probably false positives but these two things combined made me worry a bit

11. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

mapsonx,

We will take care of that asap.

tahoma,

Of course it does; we have implemented this for good reasons: Javacool Software runs from a dedicated domain now, thus a redirect is needed ;)

Confirmed. As you might have noticed, Dr.Web states "possible..." - false positives due to the (well known) strong heuristics from this antivirus. Nothing to worry about: file(s) are clean.

regards.

paul

12. dp

dp Registered Member

Will spywareblaster 2.02 continue to function with updates continuing or does one have to upgrade to 2.5 to get future updates? I'm not real interested in the cookie stuff.

13. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Hi dp,

I'm afraid the old version is set to look at the wrong download site to look for updates. I'm not sure if the updates are compatible with the old version, but I don't think so.

Regards,

Pieter

14. Lena

Lena Guest

first time user, downloaded 2.5.1, full installation on Windows XP, got error msg Run time error 339 component mscomctl.ocx or one of its dependencies not correctly registered: a file missing or invalid.

uninstalled prg, deleted it, downloaded it again, installed, same error message.

any ideas what's wrong?

thanks for any help

15. anders

anders Eset Staff Account

There's a thread describing that.. You need too install two Microsoft packages as mentioned here:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=5169;start=0

JavaCool should perhaps add a link to that post as he had on the old site... :p

Regards,
    Anders

16. museheart

museheart Registered Member

Ditto!

And, "I am feeling much better now that all the people in my head and I are working as a team!!! " :D hee, hee... Ditto on that, also. :cool:

Peace,

17. fmoreno51

fmoreno51 Guest

The cookie protection feature is a great addition, but why is it that it has to be re-instated each time I reboot? Is there a way to prevent this?

18. sylvander

sylvander Registered Member

When I updated to version 2.5.1 I got the warning about "mscomctl.ocx" and followed instructions to fix that and the program worked at second try just once.
    After that it would not respond.
    Installed the update version 2.5.2 hoping that would fix the problem but no, the program still does not respond and has to be closed using "Ctrl+Alt+Del".

How do I get it to work?

19. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Sylvander,

Could you try the suggestions Javacool gave in this thread:
    http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8182 ?

Let us know if that solves it.

Hi fmoreno51,

Could you add your specifics to this thread: http://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=8055
    Maybe you can find something you have in common with the other users experiencing this problem, and help Javacool figure this out.

Regards,

Pieter

20. sylvander

Hello Pieter.

I followed exactly the instructions given in thread 8182 but the end result was no change.

1. I deleted the three ".dtb" files and then the prog would run ok.
    2. I downloaded the updates with no problem and installed them, but then the prog wouldn't run.
    3. I used the alternative download method [after deleting the three files again], which also worked ok but again the prog wouldn't run.
    4. I downloaded and ran "vbrun60sp5.exe" and at the first restart curious events occured. My secondary Slave CD-ROM drive failed "Dynamic Auto-Detection" and the boot into Windows went in fits and starts. The second boot was ok but the prog still would not run.
    5. I uninstalled and re-installed using the copy of the install prog for version 2.5.2 which I saved on a CD-RW disk [I have all downloaded installation prog's saved on this and never have any problemsd with it]["DirectCD" is therefore running in the background during the installation].
    "SpywareBlaster" was still "Not Responding".

21. Pieter_Arntz

Hi sylvander,

Sorry to put you through all that, to no avail. Javacool might be able to help you out, but last I heard he had trouble coming to the forum. I hope that will be solved soon.
    Maybe you could try downloading a fresh copy, just in case the last one got corrupted.

Regards,

Pieter

22. sylvander

Well!
    1. I downloaded another copy of the installation file for v2.5.2 from a different download site and overwrote the previous installation file on the CD-RW disk.
    2. Uninstalled and re-installed v2.5.2 using the new copy of "spywareblastersetup.exe".

No change.

23. sylvander

I decided to use "Filemon.exe" to study the action of the PC trying to access files after I click on a shortcut on the desktop to "SpywareBlaster".
    Would you believe it!
    SpywareBlaster opened successfully and all the file accesses registered as successful.
    So I selected all items listed and actioned them and THEN it froze [after the action was successful].
    I'll now go and check on Registry accesses using "Regmon.exe".

24. Pieter_Arntz

Keep us posted, sylvander.

You might learn something of interest to Javacool.
    You obviously know what you're doing. :)

Regards,

Pieter

25. sylvander

Identical result when using "Regmon.exe".

Modules accessing the Registry did so in the following order.
    1. Explorer
    2. 3 question marks were shown [I get an emoticon if I try to type them here]
    3. System
    4. Explorer
    5. MMTASK
    6. spywareb

Item 6 seemed to be about to go on without end so I terminated the recording of accesses.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.