HOW TO DO IT: USING ACRONIS 8.0 SIMPLE?

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Cybergal, May 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cybergal

Cybergal Registered Member

To Post #23, jimmytop: THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR RESTORING MY FAITH IN MANKIND (emphasis on "kind"). I REALLY APPRECIATE THE INFORMATION YOU GAVE ABOUT UPGRADING. AND YOU'RE RIGHT, I WILL HAVE TO LOOK FOR HANDS-ON HELP OTHER THAN ONLINE UNLESS ACRONIS SUPPORT TEAM HAS AN ANSWER TO POST #18. :D

I noticed your Post #24 regarding that mysterious "Acronis sz Drive E." I just want to give you an online hug for such kindness. I'm probably old enough to be everybody's mother so don't worry. I'm in the same age group as Menorcaman.......so, meantime, while following jimmytop's advice, I will just sneak back in from time to time to see if Acronis Support Team has an answer or if anyone has answered your Post #24....but regardless of age, I remain........Cybergal.

Windows XP Home
    SP2
    No virus', no bugs, no other PC problems.
    :-*

2. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I think the CD you have is a combined Installation & Bootable Rescue CD. Have you tried inserting the CD, and then shutting down your computer? Power-on again and the PC should boot from the CD.

If not, check you BIOS settings and make sure that the CD is tried before the HD.

But even if the CD is bootable, it probably is not the latest and greatest version, so register your copy of True Image on www.acronis.com and you will be able to download the latest version. And using that, you can create your own Bootable CD.

3. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Hi Cybergal,

Pull out the invoice for your computer and check on the size of the hard drive that came with it. My guess is that it will be a 15GB drive. That's 15,000,000,000 bytes when you buy a drive.

The total size of your current C drive plus the "Acronis sz Drive E" totals 14GB as reported by Windows, or 15,000,000,000 bytes.

As far as I can see, the only explanation is that your drive was repartitioned; and in a totally inexplicable event, the hidden Secure Zone became visible and assigned a drive letter. Has anyone ever heard of this happening??

For Menorcaman and other Wizards

If Cybergal confirms that her purchased hard drive is 15GB, what's the best way to recover the space now in the very odd Acronis sz Drive E? I assume she has no partitioning software.

How's this:

1. In Disk Manager (Control Panel / Administrative Tools / Computer Management / Disk Management) delete the Acronis sz E partition. (WinXP Home does have this path to Disk Management doesn't it?)

2. In True Image, create a Secure Zone to use the entire free space made available by the deletion of the E partition. Do NOT activate the Recovery Manager. Reboot

3. After rebooting, in True Image, remove the Secure Zone and add the space back to the C partition. Reboot.

It seems to me this should work. What do you think?

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

I guess that means I'm probably old enough to be everybody's father? Sigh :'(.

Regards

5. jmk94903

Good grief, this has degenerated into a Mom and Pop forum. :)

6. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

I'm 38. Does that qualify me as a "Son" or a "Pop" in this thread? How old are you guys? 80? 90? lol
    [MOVE]http://www.planetsmilies.com/smilies/character/1/character32.gif[/MOVE]

Cybergal - This has nothing to do with the topic at hand. It's just a pet peeve of mine.(and many others) ...
    I'm not upset at all, I just needed to point out that typing in caps usually indicates to the reader that you are yelling or upset. Until I read your last post I thought you were yelling at some of the other members. Personally, I only use caps when I want to EMPHASIZE a word. In public forums you may upset some people by using caps, and I'm sure that you don't want that to happen. Just a little tip to keep under your hat. ;)

Good luck with Acronis,
    Søul

7. jmk94903

Hmmm... Definitely not at Pop. You might be a son, but it probably will require DNA testing. :)

8. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

9. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I am on the wrong side of 40, soon to become a member of the Night Peeing Club.

10. SSK

SSK Registered Member

Hmmm, looks like some way or another the secure-zone became mounted. Maybe it can be unmounted again?

11. Menorcaman

Hi there John,

Good to go! I've just created a test setup and proved your method works. A couple of points in clarification as follows:

1. The SZ is displayed in Disk Management as "Acronis Secure Zone" with the drive letter that had been assigned to it. Delete it and it becomes unallocated free space.

2. In order to utilise this unallocated space when recreating the SZ, just move the Size slider to "Maximum Partition Size".

Regards
    Tom (a.k.a. Pop!!)

12. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cybergal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept my apologies for your inconvenience and for the delay with the response.

Could you please download the Acronis Report utility available at http://www.acronis.com/files/support/AcronisReport.exe and run it, create a report (usually named 'report.txt') and send it to support@acronis.com (please, indicating in the subject that you want to contact Irina Shirokova) along with the link to this thread. Please let me know your Acronis Request # which will be sent to you in autoreply. This would provide us with detailed information on the hard disk partition structure.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova.

13. Cybergal

5-12-05: And...from the year 2002, I still have the Invoice and yes, it confirms that the size of my hard drive is 15GB.

I found Disk Management and sure enough, there lay a "healthy" Acronis sz Drive E. I deleted it and now I no longer have that Drive staring at me at "My Computer."

Now I need to utilize the space it had taken and re-allocate that space to Drive C. I assume it may be like the instructions Menorcaman gave me in steps A. and B. of his Post #10. Whatever the procedure, I would appreciate the precise steps to take to re-allocate that space. Assume that I know nothing and walk me through each step (Menorcaman has expertise in writing such instructions). Acronis Support Moderator has answered now (Post #39), so it's up to you guys to decide Who will tell me what to do (if, of course, you care to do that for me).

Here is the size that the "Acronis sz Drive E" Read in Properties: Free Space: 6.69 GB / Total Size: 6.69 GB / Used Space: 656 KB and from somewhere I had written down that it had 4.09 KB allocated, 97% slack.

In Disk Management, my Primary Drive C reads: Basic: 14.06 GB Online / Drive C: 7.35 GB NTFS (Healthy System)/ Free Space: 6.71 GB.) But, at Properties in Drive C, it reads: Used Space: 5.26 GB/Free Space 2.08 GB/Capacity: 7.35 GB. I sure hope these figures are what you need.

I do not have any software for Partition Management and from the Wizards in this Forum, I now understand how the combined Installation/Bootable CD works.

Or...maybe now that I've deleted "Acronis sz" using Disk Mgm., and now that same chart that had said "Acronis sz" now reads "Free Space 6.71GB for Drive C...does that mean that there is no space from former Acronis sz to allocate? I'm totally confused.

I appreciate you all.

Cybergal

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  14. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello Cybergal,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

As for the CD in box version, it is the special combined CD: this CD is Acronis Bootable CD with the installation package on it. You should be able to boot with this CD. Please let us know what problem you encounter with the CD.

If you go to Disk Management once again ("Start" -> "Control Panel" -> "Administrative Tools" -> "Computer Management") you may right click on the unallocated space you have now and choose "Create partition" to create new partition. If you have some partitioning software (for example, Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0) you may enlarge the existing partition using the unallocated space you have.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytmann

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  15. Menorcaman

Hi Cybergal,

If you want to recover the ex Secure Zone unallocated space back to your C: partition then proceed as follows:

1. Temporarily reinstall True Image. Refuse any option to create a Secure Zone (SZ) or activate the Startup Recovery Manager during the install.
    2. Once TI is installed, use the Manage Acronis Secure Zone Wizard to create a new SZ.
    3. On the Disk Selection page of the Wizard select "Disk1" i.e. your C: drive (see Screenshot 1 below).
    4. On the next page, select the "C:" partition to take the free space from (Screenshot 2).
    5. On the Size page of the Wizard click on the slider and move it to the far right i.e. "Maximum Partition Size" (Screenshot 3).
    6. On the following page, select "Do not activate Acronis Startup Recovery Manager" (Screenshot 4).
    7. On the final page of the Wizard click "Proceed". Acronis will then reboot your computer and create the new SZ.

Once you are back in Windows, restart True Image and select Manage Acronis Secure Zone and remove the newly created SZ as per B in my earlier Post #10. Hopefully, after TI reboots the computer, you will then have the full size of your C: drive back again. If you wish, you can then uninstall True Image again until such time you obtain an external hard drive.

Fingers crossed and good luck.

Regards

Attached Files:

16. Cybergal

5-12-05/5:48p.m.
    DEAR MENORCAMAN: PLEASE FORGIVE THE CAPS AS THIS IS NOT YELLING BUT A LOUD CHEER. I'M DANCING ON A CLOUD. I followed your instructions in your Post #40 and it worked like a charm. I now have all my disk space back; ie, it stands at 62% free.

I just cannot thank you enough. Remember my first post when I requested an Angel of Mercy and Knowledge; well, you were It. And, I am not leaving out the other Wizards as this morning I read all the latest posts where they had "experimented" and I think they came up with what you told me to do in Post 40 (I love Screen Shots).

I have learned so very much. I know I have a long, long way to go but I am so happy with the knowledge I have gained.

With Respect to All You Wizards in the Forum
    Cybergal

17. jmk94903

As they say, "All's well that ends well.

Now, go out and buy that external drive and put Ture Image to work backing up your system.

18. jmk94903

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.