how to remove bad sector of harddisk

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by AXIS, May 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

hi
    i dont know where 2 post this letter
    i have a harddisk that got bad sector on it and cause some problems 4 me
    so i keep it up...i want 2 remove bad sectors in it..
    how can i do it..plz help
    AXIS

2. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

If your operating system is Win9X/ME, run Scandisk with the Thorough option; if Win2K/XP, open the Command Prompt and run "CHKDSK /R" -- the /R option will scan for and fix or relocate bad sectors. Hope that helps. ;)

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But what if it doesnt work? o_O

4. AXIS

AXIS Registered Member

if it dosent ....i will rely on firecat
    AXIS

5. Hadi

Hadi Guest

Hi
    -First you need a goog partitioning prog like "Acronis" Or "Partitionmagic" (actually with partion magic the "two boot floppies the prog creates are enough try to borrow them from some one if possible or try to download partitionmagicv8.0 or v8.2 its a demo BUT it gives you a chance to create boot floopies) same with acronis (4 floopies not sure if the demo creates floppies)

-Is the bad sector at the begining -where data is-or at the end. If it is at the end (the -blank-area with no data supposing ur hard disk isnot full)then

BACK UP YOUR FILES
    1-run scandisk/chkdsk depend on ur OS
    2-defrag (is very important)
    3-defrag again
    4-use partion magic to partion ur disk just enough that the bad sector lies in the 2nd partion and leave it UNFORMATED

Thats it actually. Now you have the "good" part of the disk running only(ofcourse disk size now is less than b4)

IF THE BAD SECTOR AT THE BEGINING Where data start
    unfortunately you need to REINSTALL
    1-format
    2-partion, leaving the bad sector this time in the first partition
    3- format the 2nd partion only leaving the first unpartitioned
    4- install OS
    GLuck

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Hmm...I see. Thanks Hadi :)

But how do we know if the bad sector is at the beginning or at the end of the partition? o_O

7. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    With FAT32 No problem because Scandisk will show you where the bad sectors are on the scanning map. With NTFS and other, there are two methods
    1- CANT FORMAT COZ I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY OS. Then hard disk repair tools from vendors. OR using progs like "spinrite" "HDD regenerator" none of them is free.
    2-HD CAN BE CLEARED (formatted). The method: re-format it in FAT32 and use 98/Me boot disk to run scandisk to locate the bad sectors

I have used this type of isolation of bad sectors quite a lot during 98/Me era. and it works FOR SURE except if the HD is wearing out. in this case hard disk repair tools from vendors or "spinrite" or any benchmark prog that can detect S.M.A.R.T tech(assuming HD support S.M.A.R.t)

8. hadi

hadi Guest

sorry the end should read
    except if the HD is wearing out. in this case hard disk repair tools from vendors or "spinrite" or any benchmark prog that can detect S.M.A.R.T tech(assuming HD support S.M.A.R.t) will show you that the HD is wearing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.