NOD32 vs Dr. Web

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Samjax, Apr 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Samjax

Samjax Registered Member

I have been using both NOD32 2.5 Beta and Dr. Web (not at the same time) to determine which one I will purchase.

I like them both...they both seem to be fairly easy on system resources and both seem to be well regarded here at Wilders.

Is there any strong reason to go with one over the other? Price is insignificant as both are under $50. (I have set $50 as my limit for this particular purcase)

I haven't been able to get Dr. Web's spiderguard and spider mail modules to show themselves on my window task bar...and I have checked the appropriate boxes and rebooted a few times. Perhaps the load on startup features are disabled in the demo version? Other than that...the program seems to run fine.

The NOD32 Beta has been a pleasure to use as well. No problems so far and it seems to be a favorite of many here at Wilders.

The other choice I had considered was BitDefender. I have been hesitant with BD after reading something about an "injection" type process it does that apparently can slow some systems down. I have no clue what that means...perhaps someone can fill me in and let me know if it deserves as much consideration as Dr. Web and NOD32.

I do a fair amount of online gaming (World of Warcraft), but other than that, just fairly basic web surfing and such.

I am currently running the following:

XP Home with SP2
    1.8 Ghz AMD
    512 Ram

BoClean 4.12 (licensed)
    Ad-Aware SE Plus (licensed)
    Sygate Personal Firewall (free version)
    Ewido Security Suite (free version for on demand scanning)
    Pest Patrol (licensed...but I don't use it anymore since getting Ad-Aware)
    RegProtect (free version)

Thanks much for your help.

2. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

im pretty sure the drweb icons are supposed to show..do you have two spidernt.exe's showing in taskmanager? there is supposed to be 2 of them, one is started as a service, the other the conventional way.

knowing this forum most people will recommend nod32, personally i much prefer drweb, simply cos it does better than nod32 against my personal collection of malware, and also because of the frequent updates (often every 30 mins) - and the updates are tiny, maybe 5-10 kb each time.

whatever you choose id strongly recomment using kav as a backup scanner, or if you want somethnig free, get the the mtwi free util, it uses the kav engine. it wont actually clean, but it will scan and tell you if you're infected, then u can deal with it. you can get it here http://www.mwti.net/antivirus/mwav.asp
    either nod or drweb combined with this just to make sure, should be a very good solution imho

3. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I prefer DrWeb myself over NOD, but either one you choose will be a very good choice.

4. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

if you plan to use bd ,trial the std version and see,coz some users have reported high resource usage with that one but some others say it is light..i am in the second group..i use bd without any problems..
    imho its signature database is better than nod and dr web partly due to its recent spurt in signature updates..
    heuristics is better in nod and dr web ,but bd will atleast equal it later this year when they fully implement the hive technology..

imho bd is very good av u must trial it see..

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Another NOD32 vs. DrWeb thread....here we go again! :eek::eek:

6. Samjax

Samjax Registered Member

I'm sorry Firecat for apparently starting a thread that you don't approve of. I wasn't aware that certain questions were "off limits". If you know of any other questions or threads that I should never ask about or post...please send me the appropriate information to save us both the headache and grief.

I did a search and read the exhaustive mind numbing arguments and rebuttals (concerning NOD32/Dr. Web) of many people who apparently post here on a regular basis...but in doing that, I am still looking for the short answer if indeed one such answer even exists.

I can only assume that since you are a very frequent poster (averaging just over 25 posts a day), that you could share a definitive answer so that this thread would remain a short one.

7. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Samjax,

I trust Firecat's tongue was not sufficiently in-cheek for all to see, I assume he was implicitly referring to his own similar quest recently: Summer vacation - AV purchase - BitDefender or NOD32?, although I could be wrong.

To your question - quantitative analysis is unlikely to decide this one. It's simple when the programs are based on different conceptual designs - rank your key decision traits against the design rules and your preferred solution generally pops out. However, Dr. Web and NOD32 have a number of key design rules in common. Light, quick, reliance on heuristic methods, etc.

My best guess is that this will have to be a gut call on your part. Which one do you like better? Right now they are pretty well matched on test performance. My own preference is NOD32, others tend towards Dr. Web. Both are solid. I know NOD32 works great with BOClean since it's a combo I run. Dr. Web should display equal aplomb.

Blue

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

No questions are off-limits here so long as the TOS is followed.

This is a subject which has been debated a lot here, but you really posed a slightly different question -

and I think the answer there is going to be "no." These are both excellent AVs. I am a NOD user, and I will say NOD's heuristics played a major role in my decision. Anyway, you've already narrowed it down to top-notch software and you can't really go "wrong" from here, IMHO.

9. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

If u r satisfied with nod32 and from your security 'scheme', i cant find the reason why u want to change it.

10. n8chavez

n8chavez Registered Member

No worries...I think Firecat us just worried about another flame wars thread. They seems to be typical here and especially NOD versus Dr Web. I think in this case it is valid since NOD has released 2.5 beta. I have used both products and was overall happy with both of them.

I think NOD has bitten off a little more than it can chew. It once to be the best AV (modern interface, best features, and beat detection) along with the lightest. It just can't happen. People are starting to realize this with the 2.5 beta release. Memory requirements are going up as it adds more features. That being said it is still among the top three AVs. The others being Dr Web 4.32b and KAV (or clones) 5. However NOD will tell you that they are concentrating on ITW (in the wild) virii and not so much trojans.

I just flat out like DR Web. It has a very simplistic interface and thus uses less RAM. Its requirements are ridiculously low. When configured properly Dr Web can offer the best (my opinion) protection while not sacrificing your system. As was already states the updates are frequent and small. A couple of arguments against Dr Web are that it has too many system tray icons (one for each "module") and that it does not have an encrypted area where virii are stored (instead it uses a "make-shift jail renaming folders using characters that windows can't touch or operate in. My vote goes for Dr Web.

Also Dr Web has licence upgrades for $20/year (http://shop.element5.com/product.html?productid=505974). Similarly, if your a student NOD offers student discount for $20/year. Just email a sales rep for that.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Memory usage may be going up with NOD32, but I don't think the beta puts further strain on overall system performance.

12. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Thats exactly it. No hard feelings anywhere. Sorry if I offended anyone.

Since I tried BD and NOD both I gave NOD the upper hand - but now Dr.Web comes into play too - therefore Blue is also right.

13. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

NOD & DRW are both good. Therefore, significant considerations for me are that DRW is lower in price, is minimalist in its GUI, & doesn't have all those ***mons.

Hoot ***mon, I give the nod to DrWeb. ;)

14. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I would also like to add that NOD32's support forum is very helpful. I can't say much for Dr.Web because the whole time that I have owned Dr.Web I have never needed to contact them. I can usually ask someone here if I have problems. Maybe some of the Dr.Web users here can commment on thier experiences with support. ;)

15. Mongol

Mongol Registered Member

With a license key I have always received very prompt support, Usually within 24 hours. That timezone thingy does come into play since they are a good 8 hours ahead of us Gulf coast folk... :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.