does newgrounds have spyware and stuff on it?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i don't trust that site. i heard it has spyware and viruses on it. is this true?

2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Err....What is newgrounds? o_O

3. cheater87

its a site with flash movies and games

4. Matt_Smi

Matt_Smi Registered Member

I would stay away from it, same with e-balmsworld (don’t know if you have heard of that as well). Reason being one my friends said his computer was fine until he went to newgrounds one day, then all the sudden he was getting hammered with pop-ups and other crap. I was able to clean the computer up but it did have quite a bit of crap on it, of course I am sure not all of this was from newgrounds, but I would still stay clear.

5. squash

squash Registered Member

I've an occasional visitor of ebaumsworld and newgrounds. I can say that these two sites are fairly safe...

Although they may seem dodgy because of the content and language of the creators of the site. If you have adblocking software, and use a browser other then IE (such as FF or Opera) then there is nothing to suggest that these websites are harmful, unless you of course download any .exe, "Funny programs" off the respective websites.

Check the HTML source code of the website, you have any doubts.

6. Annymonus

Annymonus Guest

Newgrounds is a respected site,it usually doesn't have any aware on it, but occasionly some ad company puts a little adware program in there code and hopes no one would notice.And at one point in time i think there was a Trojan link in the forums, though quickly deleted by mods.

The adware thing was reported to use ActiveX; thus using Opera or Firefox would have rendered yourself immune to it.

Pretty cool site anyway.

7. cheater87

i somehow got a horrible dialer from that site *shudders* it was called hottest shows on the net i didn't go to any of the bad stuff there. the symble was a ying yang. we had to kill the hard drive. all the anti spyware/virus programs could not kill that monster.

8. squash

squash Registered Member

Wierd, I never had a problem with the website.
    I only visit newgrounds, for the flash games and click on nothing else. And it seems to be totally clean.

I use Firefox as web browser with Adblock and 5MB Hosts file, I wonder if that helps.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.