Creating image backup on DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by djg05, Apr 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

I have just installed ATI Personal Edition (build 797) from the PCW cover disk this month.

It installed ok and created a bootable CD (as yet untested). I went on to create a disk image of Windows (Win 2k sp4) onto a DVD which according to the manual it should do. I updated as suggested Nero to the latest version including InCD but I am unable to get it do the job. The DVD is continually eject saying it is unsuitable, forget the exact wording.

I also use Retrospect Backup as my main backup and that does not have any problem creating a DVD backup.

Any suggestions please.

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

3. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks for that.
    As I understood it would write to DVD-R pre formatted, however after reading your post and looking at the manual again I found

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Format DVD disks. DVD+RW and DVD-RW disks can be formatted in any of the aforementioned applications, while DVD-R and DVD+R formatting is currently supported by Roxio DirectCD only.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So I will try again tomorrow with a re-writable one.

Cheers

4. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

Well, you updated me. I use Roxio 6 which only does formatting with DVD+R and not DVD-R (in addition to +/- RW). I guess version 7 or 7.5 added the DVD-R formatting.

Once I formatted disks, TI had no problem writing to them and no problem spanning disks if more than one was required for an image.

5. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello David,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

We regret to inform you that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support DVD-R (though sometimes it works), please use DVD+R, DVD+RW or DVD-RW instead. I would also recommend that you read Acronis article concerning burning to DVDs. If you have any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

6. S?ul

S?ul Registered Member

I have Sonic RecordNow Deluxe Suite 7.3. Didn't Sonic buy out Roxio and incorporate their program into Sonic's new software? And if that's the case shouldn't using RecordNow also work for DVD+R discs?

I'll look into it myself, but I think this info may be useful to some other members as well. I don't want to shell out any more cash for another program if I don't have to. ;)

7. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thank you Ilya

It does seem a weakness in the program that it cannot write direct to a DVD especially the -R. Since you can create a bootable CD during installation it was assumed that DVD's would also be accepted.

However following your link it seems the workaround is to create on HD then copy across to DVD. Since it verified I assume that this will work.

Out of interest I thought that I would test the bootable CD. It booted ok though it was very slow to do so and the DVD image was able to be selected. But during this process the program found errors on the hard disks I think mostly on HD 4 which presumably was the external disk. This is used by Retrospect so may not be relevant.

Arising out of this is the fact that the disks are not allocated in the same order as in Win 2k (sp4). Windows is on the E partition but elsewhere in Acronis, therefore where would the Drive Image E be restored to?

8. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

David, when you say "the program found errors on the hard disks", was that when True Image was loading, e.g. when it starts snooping around to discover all the devices? Some of these "error messages" are well-known and should not interfere with the program, but others indicates potential problems. What kind of errors did you see?

About the drive-lettering: Each(?) of Microsoft's OS'es assigns the drive letters in slightly different ways, so unless you expect True Image to guess which OS you are using (which can be difficult if you have a multi-boot setup), some differences are to expected. The best you can do, is to keep track of the contents of each image file, and learn how your OS assigns drive letters. Armed with that information, you should know how to restore what to where.

9. Acronis Support

Hello djg05,

In addition to MiniMax reply I would like to tell that Acronis True Image can read disk (and partition) labels and to label each partition seems to be the best way to distinguish disks.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

10. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks Minimax/Ilya

The errors were whilst it was examining the system after loading. Since it did not concern the disk in question I ignored them.

I know all the O/S's name differently, but surely if you create a a bootable disk on the system it would also note how the hard disks/partitions were arranged - not much to ask, and how would a novice cope with this situation. As for naming the partitions, I don't think that all the names were presented since I looked for that, but without checking again I can't be sure.

11. Acronis Support

Hello David,

Could you please clarify what you mean by "not all the names were presented"? Acronis True Image should display all the labels of all partitions when you use Acronis Bootable CD. Please check it once again and if something is wrong please send a letter to support@acronis.com with the description of the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

12. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Apologies Ilya - it is my fault. The naming was fine when I checked again.

There is still the problem with the disk errors. This time there was also one on drive 0. There are a plethora of errors on drive 4 on successive sectors. This has 60 Gb partitions and maybe this is causing the trouble?

13. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

I haven't heard of large partitions causing problems. Have you used the Windows Disk Check apps (This computer -> Disk/Partition -> Right-click -> Properties -> Utils -> Check Now) to see if you have bad sectors?

Do you have a program that can display S.M.A.R.T. values from the drive?

14. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

Thanks - tried the disk check and it comes up clean.

I do not have anything that can display the SMART values.

15. Acronis Support

Hello David,

Could you please let us know where exactly you get errors with disk? Is it when you boot Acronis Bootable CD? What is the exact error message that is displayed at the screen?

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

16. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

The errors occur when you start the wizard and it does a disk scan. It then comes up with error on disk no ## with an option to Retry, Ignore, Ignore All etc. I initially I went for ignore but after 30 or 40 clicks I lost interest and selected Ignore All.

The disk in question is a partitioned 128 Gb external firewire drive by Freecom but I think Maxtor internals.

17. Acronis Support

Hello David,

Could you please plug and turn on the external drive, create Acronis Report in the way described at Acronis Help Post and send it to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread? The report will let us investigate what is wrong with the disk Acronis True Image refers to.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

18. djg05

djg05 Registered Member

On its way to you.

I also tried checking with P Magic and again no errors.

19. Acronis Support

Hello David,

Thank you for taking time to contact Acronis Support Team.

If you don't get any response within 48 hours please let me know your Acronis request # which will be sent to you in autoreply to your letter. I will find out the reason for the delay.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.