javascript help...PLEASE!!

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Rosieglo16, Apr 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

I have been trying to play games at candystand.com but it keeps telling me that i don't have my javascript enabled so it won't let me play! I have enabled it many many times just to make sure and it still won't budge! Please help meeeee!!!!!

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Re: javascrip help...PLEASE!!

Which browser are you useing?

3. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

You are using Internet Explorer, right?

4. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

yes, internet explorer version 6.0

5. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

is anyone still helping me out here or what??

6. GForce

GForce Guest

Hi Rosieglo16,

If you go to the Tools tab and clk Internet Options, open the Security tab and select Custom Level.
    Then, scroll down to where it shows "Scripting" and enable "Active scripting." OK all windows to close.

I would strongly advise against the use of both Java and ActiveX, the leading cause of infection in IE (IMO)...
    instead running a block file such as IESPYAD that would allow you to selectively add sites you visit to the
    "Trusted Zone" instead of surfing the whole web enabled (risky). Just a thought. ;)

Let me know if you can now access Candystand, OK. :)

GF

7. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

Thank you for replying. The active scripting and everything else has been enabled the whole time, but this site still isn't working, it does, however, work on all other sites--just not this one...that is why i don't understand it. It's very strange...lol. Is there anything else that I could do? thank you for your time.

8. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Rosieglo16,

You didn't mention which system you're on, but goto control panel, add/remove and see if Shockwave
    and some form of Java is listed. I'm under the impression their site requires Flash. Please check. ;)

GF

9. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

Yes, i do have java and shockwave...but, unfortunately, still no go.

10. GlobalForce

A few questions Rosie, :)

Are these games you download, or play on site? Can you get to this page and successfully proceed
    by clicking the question links, or is the page telling you Java must be enabled?

One more. Are you registered with them?

EDIT
    I located a possible fix remembering you mentioned problems with this one site. Goto Tools again, Internet Options.
    This time open the Advanced tab, scroll down and tell me if there's a box for either.......

Use Java 2 v-.-.- for <applet> [requires restart] (Sun program)
    or
    JIT Compiler for virtual machine enabled (M$ program)

Keep me informed as to which and what's checked.
    Please forward you're OS as well, thanks. ;)

GF

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  11. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

They are games that you play on the site. Yes, I could get to the page you put up and I could click on the questions and stuff, but when I went to the page myself and tried to get there it wouldn't even click on anything except the games (which wouldn't let me play...).

And...Use Java 2 v-.-.- for <applet> [requires restart] (Sun program)...is the one that is there and it has been checked...that's the only one there...can you help me?

12. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

oh! lol...um...what is an OS?? sorry...

13. GlobalForce

Operating System. ~ I thought you knew ~ :D

Rosie,

Please go back to Tools (once more I know :p ), IOptions, General tab, Temporary Internet files, Settings. Check that
    "Every visit to the page" is checked, then click on "View Objects." Tell me if there's reference to Java Runtime
    Environment and Shockwave Flash Object.

They'll have a symbol like this...depending on OS, I think?
    http://img208.echo.cx/img208/8829/activexsymbol9272004102948pm42.jpg

I'll await the OS info. Please include version and service pack level.
    Could you also fill me in as to what sort of security programs may currently be active...firewall, blocking filter?

Oh and please, if anyone else has ideas why Java may not be working for Rosie...invites open! :D
    Hang in there Rosie, I'm work'in on it! ;)

GF

14. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

It says...Java Runtime Environment version 5,0,20,9
    and...Shockwave Flash Object version 7,0,19,0

I am also using...Norton Internet Security
    and...Norton Antivirus Auto-Protect

15. GlobalForce

Rosie Rosie, :)

OS pretty please? :D
    If someone else doesn't solve this first...KNOW I'm work'in on it, OK. ;) Past beddy-bye, think I may be suffering brain fade lol. :eek: :D

GF

16. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

Didn't I give you the right stuff? Sorry if i'm wearing you out...lol...i know i am a big pain...;-)

17. GlobalForce

No you're not wearing me out, I did that all by myself! :D

OS? Is it win98, win2k, XP...which? Hey, no worries. I don't have any pains. :D
    In fact, it's been nice having continuous replies. ;) I only regret we haven't worked this out yet. :doubt:

Against using Java in general, I put xxx.candystand.com/ (xxx to eliminate an active link) in my "trusted" zone,
    weeding through their FAQ to determine what may be causing the problem. Here's what they suggest...
    once again from the "Tools" menu (see screenie).

Try it. Delete cookies, files and offline content. Then goto the Privacy tab and select Advanced.
    Allow first party, prompt for third (you may need to allow third :ninja: ). Reboot! Open up again and try the site.

I don't run Norton, but I'll try to determine what settings if any may be preventing access.

GF

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 24, 2005
  18. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

THANK YOU!!!! LOL...it works now! I delete the cookies and cache(which i tried before) but this time i also did the first party and third party thing...and now it works! The only problem now is...i get TONS of pop-ups and that makes my computer incredibly slooooow....but thank you sooo much for all of your time;-) much appreciated! if you do, however, have any tips on how to keep the site working AND my coputer running quickly again...let me know! ;-)

19. dippy

dippy Registered Member

for any people running the game Runescape it has the trojan Java on board

20. GForce

GForce Guest

Hi Rosie, ;)

So.......it was that easy, huh? :D Well I'm happy to hear! :D
    Not so thrilled about the pop-up's slow'in down you're puter though, which BTW is Windows ____?
    In you're excitement, you forgot to tell me again!

Let me know which version of Windows and Norton (2004/2005) you're running. Doing some digging I discovered
    you're "net" defense...Internet Security has a few blocking options which may help, so forward the info, OK. :)

GF

21. GForce

GForce Guest

PS Rosie,

Do these pop-up's happen on candystand, or surfing in general?

GF

22. GForce

GForce Guest

Try this too Rosie,

It'll maintain a little privacy for ya, OK. Go back to IE's cookie setting, BLOCK third party cookies (OK all windows to close) then see if you can still navigate candystand. If so, all the better. ;)

GF

23. Rosieglo16

Rosieglo16 Guest

ok...before i forget (again)...i have...

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition
    version 5.1.2600 Service Pack 1 Build 2600

I'm pretty sure i've got it down this time...I also did what you said...I changed it to blocking all third party stuff and yes, i can still access the site fortunately....the only thing is...it is still very hard to play the games now bc of all the pop-ups and stuff...it's even really hard to type this out right now because i'm clicking to exit out of pop-ups every 5 seconds...:( not fun...

So, yes it happens with just general surfing of the net, not just when i'm on candystand.com...did i mention THANK YOU...for everything, GF? You're AMAZING!!

24. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Then u definitely have a spyware problem( and maybe more).

Do u run any anti-spyware apps?

If not, i would recommend u download and run either 1, or both of these(they're free),

http://www.lavasoftusa.com/

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/index.html

Let us know how it goes.

snowbound

25. GlobalForce

Rosie, :)

Thanks, but please don't use that "A" word...just a newb who's been prowl'in the boards here. :D

Now, have these pop-up's been plaguing you as of recent or has this been happening for some time? :doubt:
    Snowbound ;) inquired if you have or run any spyware applications, like the ones he posted links for? They're a bit different than virus scanners in how they target detection (bad guys and the source of those pop-up's), having one or two onboard's not a bad idea IMO (in my opinion).

I'm curious to know if you are the sole user of the computer you're using, perhaps you could tell me in so many words. :)
    My reason for asking is no more than my being cautious, you understand. Just I'm not a happy camper if friends of mine
    make adjustments unbeknownst to me. Maybe just me but I deem it impolite to make assumptions.

Oh! And finally...the OS! :D Life's good. I'm on the same! :cool:

Tell me, are you familiar with you're Norton Internet Security, version_____? You forgot that. :D
    From my understanding, it seems quite capable of protecting general web users from a good portion of the junk pushed around by marketing firms and advertisers found while surfing these days, it's just a matter of setting it up properly. ;)

Just one more question (for the moment) if you don't mind Rosie, I don't want to wear you out here OK. :D

How fed up are you with those pop-up's? You may not yet realize the potential for system instability by running IE with active controls enabled, once these bad guys get onboard casual surfing becomes a difficult if not daunting task. You said yourself how limiting it was to type even a simple reply. At some point Rosie, sacrifices in browser settings and surf habits need consideration on you're part in order to alleviate some of the webs invasive nature, if not for the simple pleasure of viewing a webpage in peace.

It may take some effort, but "nothing ventured ~ nothing gained!"

I sense from several comments you may already have an infection...sorting things out may be difficult now,
    but the only way to learn protection. The sooner, the better. :cool:

How do you feel about these thought's?
    C'mon, I lend you my ear... ;)

And Rosie...when you get to a reply window, goto the top of IE - click "File" - select "Work Offline."
    Have two IE windows open...one with this, and one with you're reply window (back/forth).
    It should allow you to close the ads and respond in peace before the post, OK.

*Try this also...Open Norton Internet Security.

• In the main window, on the left side click Norton AntiSpam.
    • Select Ad Blocking from the menu on the left.
    • New options should appear along the right-hand side of the Norton Internet Security window.
    • Click Turn On.
    • Select Pop-up Blocking from the menu on the left.
    • Click Turn On.
    Let me know if this helps. ;)

GF :ninja:

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.