Dealings and etc ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by worldcitizen, Apr 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

Edit Note: Several posts had been split off a thread in the TDS forum here, and moved into this forum creating a new thread to allow the discussion of anti-virus software to continue in the correct forum - snapdragin

I had Bit defender for a while and liked it very much. Never let a virus through and worked perfectly except when XP SP 2 came out. Whenever it would update many times the Windows Security Centre would not detect the update and so I had a warning icon in my system tray that my Anti-virus was not turned on. This cause a lot of problems because it was turned on and I inadvetantly would turn it off to get rid of the Windows warning icon. I mentioned this problem to their support ages ago and waited for ages for a fix and eventually got fed up and bought Kaspersky Pro.

Bit Defender is great except for that problem with the WSC which I don't know if it has been fixed yet.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 20, 2005
  2. SirBandit

SirBandit Registered Member

Hi, Jooske

I understand what you mean when it comes to V-scanners being a personal choice. I will check around on the forum and see what other people are having to say about the different versions. I still have almost 8 months of program updates and virius-defs left for Panda Platinum. I'll most likely will go back to when Bitdefender runs out. I guess that gives me plenty of time to read / learn about other virus scanners,firewalls and etc.

I've been thinking about the crc files check and exclusions. I think I'll just hold off for now. I got Process Guard also and I'll spend some time learning the programs. I decided not to exclude any files and you are right, one should know when files on their system have changed.

Hi, Worldcitizen

I noticed something near to that with my installation of Bitdefender to.
    WSC kept saying BD was out of date. After a couple of days, it seemed to
    return to normal. Perhaps the downloads / updates had something to do
    with that? Anyway, it seems fine now.

Thank you both for your comments!

SirB...

Last edited: Apr 7, 2005
  3. **********

********** Registered Member

I'm new to the board, TDS-3, and have been using BitDefender for the last couple of years. I'm currently running sp2 with BitDefender and haven't had any issues with it. I assume the issue has been fixed concerning the WSC, as there are no issues with my current system.

4. worldcitizen

worldcitizen Registered Member

That's good news if it's true. I still like Bit Defender very much and rate it as one of the very best AV available. It really does a good job at protecting your PC and I would have no hesitation recommending it to anyone. I was very unhappy about the WSC issue as I kept getting false reports and didn't know half the time whether my AV was turned on or off. I could download and use the eicar test but to have to do that regularly just to check if my AV was actually turned on seemed ridiculous and so I had to look elswhere. Kaspersky is equally as good but I did have a special place in my heart for Bit Defender - I just liked it.

Dave

5. SirBandit

Hi, WC / All

I plan to go back to Panda when BitDefender trial runs out and when Panda updates are over, I may buy BDer as the price is far cheaper. I haven't got any nasties since I've been using it. I might try the firewall leaktest program from grc dot com and see how that goes. I tried the Shields up test and BD firewall passed as secure. I've come to like BD and it seems to do its job well. The updates come in often and I like how it has anti-vi shield and email scanning. My default mail program is pocomail and when it checks / downloads mail, I see it being scanned in the BD's activity bar. If I run the leaktest I'll post back the results. Should set off a bunch of alerts as leaktest may fool programs into thinking its a trojan. Should be interesting if nothing else :eek:

BD, PE, TDS-3, WGuard, PGuard, SpyBot-S&D, Spysweeper .. This seems to be a pretty darn good combo for me so far.

Best & All for now

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

When there's a bug with BitDefender - Always report :)

I found Softwin's tech support to be quite good.

7. SirBandit

Hi all,

I tried to test some firewall leak test programs, but BD wiped them out on downloading. Couldn't even get them, let alone run them. I could disable BD,
    but I can't see that being fair to the v-scanner? Maybe I will though and see what happens. There is a whole bunch of them here on this web site.

http://www.firewallleaktester.com/

Test / advice etc.

I've found BD to be a very good AV product. Have 3 days of 30 left on eval.
    I'll go back to Panda until it runs out. Think I might get BD after.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.