R-Firewall

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Kerodo, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

This one has been mentioned before I know, and I had trouble installing it before, but I just tried installing the latest version and it works fine. Seems interesting. Might be worth checking out if you're looking for a free firewall.

Just wanted to mention that it's there and that they seem to have fixed the install problems.

http://www.r-tt.com/

2. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

still has issues here. flat out locked up during install had to hard boot system to get it out then go to safe mode and uninstall and remove it. if you had good luck great i have wanted to try this one but it just will not run for me

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Well, I guess I got lucky with the install, but I had trouble with it and Avast. It kept asking for permission every time I rebooted and Avast checked for updates. So that's no good. For some reason it wouldn't remember it's Avast rule and kept adding new ones. So much for this one for now I guess..

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

It seems that we have to wait some more time to try this one...

5. Arup

Arup Guest

So far Kerio 4.13 is running smoothly so if anyone is looking for an alternate, might give this one a try now.

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I thought that you are using the NetVeda :)

7. Arup

Arup Guest

Yes, on my wife's PC I am still using NetVeda.

8. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

didn't avast pose problems with another firewall?
    It should be in an old thread. tried a searcg?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I seem to remember something like that too.. Can't remember which firewall it was though. I guess I should send them an email about it and see what they say... I'm on to another one now though anyway...

10. Arup

Arup Guest

Think it was Sygate, that problem has been solved by Avast quite a while back.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There were at least 2 other firewalls that had problems with Avast. I think one of them was Look N Stop, but they (LnS) fixed it. Avast creates a temporary file called Avast.Setup when it checks for updates. So the firewall asks for permission for Avast.Setup to access the internet. But after it checks for updates, Avast deletes that file. Most firewalls don't care if the file disappears, but some check for the file periodically and if it's gone, they delete their rules for it. LnS used to do this. One other one does too, but I can't recall which one. This doesn't appear to be the problem with R-Firewall, but it may have something to do with it. That's what makes Avast different from the other AVs anyway, and it causes problems with a few firewalls...

12. Arup

Arup Guest

Speaking of response from R-Firewall tech, here is a copy paste of a query I had made regarding MS ICS support.

Quote:

Dear Arup,

Well... Why not to try - it is free!

Best regards,

Support Team
    R-tools Technology Inc.
    support@r-tt.com

--- Original Message ---

Hi,

Does R-Firewall support MS ICS between LAN computers with one acting as
    host and the other a client?

Many thanks.

end Quote:

Now what do you say to this? Looks like even the developers are not sure about the capabilities of their program in this case.

13. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I hope that wasn't one of their programmers.... :D

14. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Off-topic:
    This version of Kerio use less resources than NetVeda?

Thanks

15. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I have to say this software is appaling. I installed it, installations went fine started it up seems of 5 mins later and my computer just died. I dont mean it went unresponcive i mean it was as if someone had pulled the power cord the pc lost all power completely as if id just switched of at the wall. But then staright after loosing power it restarted the pc immidiatly. so it wasnt a proper restart or anything it was really weird. It cant had been good. It did it two times and I removed it immidiatly. I used to think iot was people machines and erros on them when this type of thing happen but this was terrable. Never touching this again.

Michael

16. Arup

Arup Guest

Scary.

17. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

same here!
    But I've seen that happen SO SO many times for so many reasons that I suspect windows was designed to do that.
    It ain't a bug, it's a feature.
    PS::: Do you have any other firewalls installed?
    I had NetVeda and Kerio 2.1.4.
    after getting rid of Rfirewall, kerio began to block all connections in and out of the WAN port.
    Bye Bye kerio 2... you were light and fast. too bad.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 23, 2005
  18. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I uninstalled my sygate firewall and put it on. Then took it off and put back sygate had no problems since. It really annoyed me because it looked to have some good features.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Quite often they can *appear* to be good or interesting and then turn out to be a dog, as in this case. I was disapointed also.

20. Arup

Arup Guest

Compared to this, Filseclab and Soft Perfect were far better in this regard, both worked nicely and uninstalled nicely too.

21. nicM

nicM nico-nico

I decided to give it a try this afternoon... This is a rebranded Outpost : the GUI is looking very much as Outpost's one, settings are quite the same as Outpost, same "policy" settings with 5 options (look at the screenshot), same .cfg files to load...

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4817/rfirewall37az.th.jpg

I would say it's based on Outpost 1? :D

It's working fine for me, and has interesting functions, like dll injection prompt, etc (although lots of features are greyed), and is not a ressource hog.

hmm :doubt: , not the most stable I've ever seen though - now crashing as I'm writing, lol

Cheers,
    nicM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.