Port Explorer and McAfee Firewall

Discussion in 'Port Explorer' started by bch, Apr 15, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bch

bch Registered Member

Just a quick query. Is Port Explorer compatable with McAfee's Personal Firewall which comes free with AOL? (I seem to remember reading in the past that it wasn't but can't find anything about it using the Search function).

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi BCH, Afraid not, McFee have failed to address the problem for reasons best known to themselves.

Soory to say but you will need to disable their firewall and use another if you want to use Port Explorer.

HTH Pilli.

3. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

4. bch

bch Registered Member

Many thanks to you both.

5. Inviernos

Inviernos Registered Member

bch,

Pilli said,
    McAfee seems to have no regard for you or me as consumers, when it comes to doing what's right. Have you ever tried to completely remove McAfees software? It's a real chore. A surly bunch, that lot.

Pilli also said,
    You might look at Outpost Pro personal firewall. It's is quite sturdy and yet flexible enough to allow you to determine rule sets appropriate for your box.

There are others, that have their own merits, just pop in on their forums and ask around about the pluses and minuses of each.

Happy hunting!

Ricardo

6. bch

bch Registered Member

Thanks, Ricardo. I'll have a weigh up about matters. I've only ever used the McAfee Firewall so haven't really read up much about the alternatives. It is also free with AOL which, if I am being brutally honest, is another factor. I'll delve into a bit of firewall reading and have a look at Outpost Pro.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.