enough security?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by resa05, Apr 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

hmmmmmm

Last edited: Apr 16, 2005
  2. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Whats your Anti-Virus and Anti-Trojan?

3. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

As far as I know, I don't have Anti-Trojan. However Anti-VIrus I have is AVG FREE Edition.
    Thank You..

4. BornMember

BornMember Registered Member

5. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Quite simply, no, not at all. You have been given a few links that will guide you in the right direction and get you sorted.

Cheers :D

6. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

thank you for replying but i dont understand all their "lingo". on those sites you gave me, bornmember. I have adaware and uninstalled spybotSD. i'm currently looking for a software for spyware.

7. Blackspear

Hi Thersa, there are a few setups that you can take a look at HERE. As well there are discussions HERE and even more HERE.

Hope this helps...

Let us know how you go.

8. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

i dont have anti virus or anti trojan and black spear i don't understand all that stuff their talking about :'( ...all those forum links people post in the threads doesn't help me...i'm to slow :oops:

9. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

OK Please post your setup again and we'll sort you out :)

10. Blackspear

That's ok, just take your time, and we will walk you through everything.

Please stick with this thread and don't post the same question elsewhere.

Let's start by getting you in to some basic security.

Do you have a Antivirus program yet? If not we need to know if you are prepared to pay for one or you want to try a Free version?

Make sure you have the folling downloaded and installed:

1. Anti-virus software - if not let us know.

2. Spyware Blaster (FREE) – Spyware Prevention from here:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

3. Spyware Guard (FREE) – Real time scanner for Browser Hijack prevention.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com

4. Ad-Aware (FREE) – Spyware removal. What Spybot Search and Destroy doesn’t pick up, this will.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com

5. Spybot Search and Destroy (FREE) – Spyware removal and protection, with registry monitor. If running the above 2 programs, your system should remain fairly clean of Spyware.
    http://beam.to/spybotsd

6. Zone Alarm (FREE, paid PRO product available) – Firewall with visual outgoing alerts.
    http://www.zonelabs.com

Come back to us when you have done that, and then we'll answer any questions you have regarding their use and setup.

11. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi Blackspear

(chlidren surf every where) BUT I wonder, Spybot and adaware they comeup clean every time I run them apart from adaware finds MRUs only. can this be considered as a sign of healthy system or what. Thanks

12. Blackspear

It's a sign that their "everywhere" and my everywhere are vastly different. And I would have to know more about what security you are using to fully answer your question.

13. hadi

hadi Guest

Hi
    their every where(digging deep down for games, music, films and cartoons on chinees and japanees sites).I'm thinking that some thing is wrong somewhere Because I have the minimum you mentioned in this thread
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=62972
    +microsoft antispyware and ccleaner set to "clean automatically on boot" thats all

14. Blackspear

You aren’t really doing anything wrong, it is just that your are continually crossing a massive multi lane highway and you haven't been hit yet, and unfortunately I can virtually guarantee that with their browsing habits an accident is going to happen. I would seriously look at going up to the next level of security in that link. The cost is minimal, the security is vastly improved, and it is simple to use and maintain.

Hope this helps...

15. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

I know have...

1. Anti-virus software - AVG Free Edition

2. Spyware Blaster (FREE) – Spyware Prevention from here:
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com <<got that too

3. Spyware Guard (FREE) – Real time scanner for Browser Hijack prevention.
    http://www.javacoolsoftware.com<<that too

4. Ad-Aware (FREE) – Spyware removal. What Spybot Search and Destroy doesn’t pick up, this will.
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com<< that too

5. Spybot Search and Destroy (FREE) – Spyware removal and protection, with registry monitor. If running the above 2 programs, your system should remain fairly clean of Spyware.
    http://beam.to/spybotsd <<<that too

I did not download the firewall...i'm not sure i want to mess with that. ..i still have a 'warranty' on my computer and if i mess it up ..the guy don't fix :(

thank you all a mil :)

16. Ronin

Ronin Guest

I think the minimal might be sufficient, even with the level of browsing habits described. But as they say, you can never have enough security. Enough Blackspear's setup can be improved.

17. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

RESA05,

HI! I know this looks long, please bear with me, OK? :)

I see you on alot of different forums starting new threads, this means, each subject has a forum, each forum has different topics of conversations taking place, each conversation is basically FOR one person to get help, that conversation is called a thread, does that help?

I see you on way too many different forums, starting threads, you are confusing yourself and the people who want to help you. They can't find you to answer, so it seems they are ignoring you, but they are NOT!

It also takes some time for someone to answer you, because there are alot of other people who need answers too. I hope this helps, and I hope you come back to this thread tomorrow, because you absolutely NEED a firewall.

There are many good ones, a simple one is Look n Stop, if you don't want Zone Alarm. Your warranty should have nothing to do with a firewall. If something bad happens to your computer because you weren't protected - that might.

Surely the place where you got your computer hasn't told you what you can and can't put on it, have they? That would be very wrong!!

I know you want to learn everything right away, but, give the people on this forum some time, and stay in one place, let them move YOU around instead of moving yourself, they won't mind a bit. :)

Please get a firewall, though, that is your first defense!!.

You will learn all you want, it does take a little time though!:D

Take Care, (and get a firewall, girl!) :D

Marja:cool:

18. Blackspear

The firewall is essential, to me it is your very first line of defence, next comes Anti-virus, then Anti-Spyware...

ZoneAlarm FREE is fairly simple to operate, it acts as a security guard standing between your computer and the internet, it will advise you what programs are trying to connect to the internet from your computer, and will also advise you what is trying to get into your computer from the internet (this part of ZoneAlarm can be switched off at any stage).

19. Ronin

Ronin Guest

Hi Blackspear, I hope you don't take my words as an attack, but here goes...

IMHO, the links to threads you love to paste in answer to "Do I have sufficient security" is I think not very helpful to most newbies,

Most of the thread I feel consists of people who already know more or less what they are doing posting all the various security software they use. If I were negative I would say, they were boasting about all the stuff they use.

Personally I feel a forum thread that is not locked is not ever going to be a good place for a newbie to gain info. The thread just gets too cluttered with people posting their security setups, using "lingo". That's all well and good, but it doesnt help the newbie.

20. Blackspear

Hi Ronin, no worries, that’s why the 1st Link is designed purely as a setup guide. The second and third link are there for discussions on products and why they are used, be it to read through the second and third link, or to simply ask questions about setups. The 1st Link also points to a further thread where discussions can be made for the actual setups seen in the 1st Link.

21. resa05

resa05 Registered Member

thanks for the support i appreciate it....i think im done with the security thing :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.