norman virus control - what are your views?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by tahoma, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tahoma

tahoma Guest

hi, i just got norman from my isp, it seems really fast, but a bit of a memory hog compared to dr web. but it does find everything in my personal virus/trojan collection.

anyway, what are the general views on this av?

2. wizard

wizard Registered Member

Norman AV changed with version 5 of their product to a new scanning engine (or better a new concept of scanning engine). But so far they did not had any luck with the advantages of the new engine as it seems. In recent reviews NVC was not very sucessfull (to say it in a nice way).

As you mentioned DrWeb32 I would suggest to stay with DrWeb32 as the product is at the moment more reliable than NVC.

wizard

3. tahoma

tahoma Guest

thanks for that :) i guess im sticking with drweb as my resident scanner and use kav and norman as backup scanners

4. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have trialed the last 2 versions of NVC but was not all that impressed.

Interface was confusing and it was not very stable on my Win XP setup. I also found the running guard memory intensive.

In the UK it is generally thought of as a business network scanner. However, I have seen recently retail laptops for the home market with NVC as the installed AV.

Overall I know nobody who has this scanner but it is supposed to be a good virus detector.

5. Technodrome

Technodrome Security Expert

Well NVC does a good job when it comes to ITW viruses. But it fails to show the same result on polymorphic field (even though there've been some improvements) and ZOO viruses. NVC is able to recognize only very basic Trojans (such as Norton or NOD32) so additional AT tool is a must.
    NVC was one of the first products to introduce “sandbox” technology (in AV product) which is nice (on paper) but in reality I didn't find it effective (at least not in my tests). They introduced this in version 5.40 (current 5.50) so they might improve this thru upcoming versions.

Technodrome

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.