Strange problem...

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by thaddeus, Apr 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thaddeus

thaddeus Guest

Recently, when I open NOD32, I get an error msg in the scanning log:
    "Error occured while scanning MBR sector of the 2. physical disk. Error reading sector."
    I'm using v2.12.3 with the latest updates, with XP sp2... Athlon XP 1.8gHz...
    512k ram... everything's working fine, except this error msg.
    I have only one hd on this computer, and have NOD set to only scan that drive.
    I've done all kinds of diagnostics on the hard drive, and it comes up working great.

Any ideaso_O

Thanks!

2. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

Why u dont try the new 2.50 beta version?

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

4. Thaddeus

Thaddeus Guest

Thanks!
    Namor, very interesting.
    My internal zipdrive shows up in disk drives. When I inserted a zipdisk, and opened NOD, the error went away.
    OK cool, it's related to the zipdrive. Then it's probably not a problem.

BUT, I have NOD set to scan only my hard drive (C:). Anyone know, is this a bug in NOD?
    Seems to me, if I have it set to read drive C, it shouldn't be checking the zip.
    But then again, maybe I'm just naive ;)

As for trying the beta, other than this error message, everything on my computer is working perfectly. I'll wait for the release version.
    My version has worked great, except the one time it let a trojan through.
    I reset my IMON to deep, advanced heuristics, and it's been perfect since.
    Doesn't even slow anything down.

5. irnux

irnux Registered Member

Are you sure you don't have any phisycal HDD problem ? Run scan disk and drive defragmentation ....

6. gberns

gberns Registered Member

Problem is not with hard drive. Nod reports same thing and I am sure it is finding my USB printer because it has ability to read flash camera disks. Been going on for over a year with two different hard drives installed.

7. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi there, as this is an unresolved issue, can you please send an email to support@nod32.com and place a link to this thread.

I would appreciate if you can let us know how you go, as we all learn this way...

Cheers :D

8. gberns

gberns Registered Member

There have been previous discussions on this. Eset said it wasn't a problem and I hate to bother them with it again.

9. Blackspear

No bother, let's get it sorted ;) :D

10. Thaddeus

Thaddeus Guest

Believe me, I've run chkdsk up the wazoo. I also have done several different
    hd diagnostic tools, including Spin Rite... the drive has never even whispered a problem.
    I think it's something in how NOD works with XP. I have NOD on an old computer, with win98SE... same NOD version, except the one for win98.
    Never had a problem.
    Sometimes I feel like reverting to win98... so much more stable than XP.
    And each XP version seems to get stranger... sp2 has so many bizarre issues... but this aint the place ;)

11. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

I assume the display of the error in case when there is no card inserted in the reader has been fixed in the beta. In the case of any issues, please try installing the beta in the first place to see if the issue has been resolved in the meantime.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2005
  12. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

It's a shame to see that the answer is so unfriendly. And this is not the only one. Why oh why doesn't anyone at Eset stop this man from doing this?!

And to inform eset: the problems aren't fixed in the beta at all. I still see that MBR thing too, on card reader stuff.

13. Bandicoot

Bandicoot Eset Staff

Dear Edwin024,

Hope you don't mind if I stick my 2 cents in. I work with Marcos at Eset and I just wanted to say that firstly, he works incredibly hard and long hours and one small part of his time is spent responding to NOD32 users on this forum (often at weekends and evenings when he's actually supposed to be relaxing a bit at home). Therefore, I'm sure Marcos has absolutely no desire to appear rude to anybody: he's just often trying to do 3 things at once, hence he may be a bit brief sometimes.

Secondly, English is not his native tongue, so I think his use of the English language is excellent but again, it may ocassionally appear slightly abrupt.

Regarding the problem of MBR sector scanning: I promise you we are checking the situation.

Regards,
    Bandicoot.

14. Thaddeus

Thaddeus Guest

Thanks for posting, Marcos.
    I'd love to help you guys, by testing the beta... but I've had a tough time getting this computer, to function well under sp2. Even doing a fresh install of sp2 was a problem... I had to do it 5 times, before my current installation, which seems to be relatively stable.
    So testing a beta version, at this point, is something I'm very hesitant to do.

I'm happy to see v2.5 will be tougher on trojans/malware, as that's been my only issue with NOD. Now that I know what's caused the MBR error, I'm happy to wait for the release version of 2.5. I hope the MBR issue has been addressed.

Thanks to all that've helped ;)

15. Edwin024

The editting of the message helped a lot :)

And another thing: I work hard too and English isn't my native tongue either but it isn't hard to be brief and a tad friendly for anyone ;)

16. Hazeleyze

Hazeleyze Guest

I got the same error and am happy to report it has been fixed in the beta.

17. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

I just purchased NOD 32 last week, i guess i should have kept my money and just ran the BETA? What about a fix for the paying customer? other than un-install the version you just paid out the butt for and install the Free Public Beta.

18. Blackspear

The Beta will go to final release soon, and it is a FREE upgrade to you, so I don't see the issue.

19. Mephisto

Mephisto Guest

The issue is ... I could have saved my money and ran the Beta (DUH). It is obviously a better product and it's free.

Even if it does go final in 2 weeks or 2 months that's just that much longer i would have had to go without having to renew my NOD32 license.

The best product available should be the one for sale ... period.

20. Blackspear

There is nothing wrong with the current product v2.12.3 and there will always be FREE upgrades available while you hold a current license. Eset continue to improve Nod32 every year, next will be v3.0 and this too will be provided FREE to valid license holders, it is part of Esets policy to do so, whereas a lot of other software companies make you pay to upgrade to newer versions.

The best product available is a PAID version v2.12.3, and I say this because it is NOT in Beta. When the Beta goes to final release, it will then be the Best product.

21. Stephanos G.

Stephanos G. Registered Member

I have purchased 2.12.3 and upgrade it to the new 2.50 beta. I hope to be the right way this.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2005
  22. Edwin024

Mephisto,

I guess you don't understand that a beta will expire someday and it's free updates are gone too. So i don't see your point either.

23. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Stephanos G,

the beta is not supposed to be used in a live environment - it's test quality software, even though it's beta, not alpha - it's still test. You should continue to run 2.12.3 unless told to run the beta for a specific reason, then update to 2.5 FULL release when available.

regards

Greg

24. webyourbusiness

webyourbusiness Registered Member

Mephisto - the beta is the test of a fairly large enhancement - it's being BETA tested -you can't expect Eset, to throw out a new release without full and proper testing -it would be commercial suicide... please appreciate that 2.50 will be released to the public as soon as it is of commercial quality.

The best version *IS* the commercial version for a live environment - you should only run the PRODUCTION version unless specifically told to run anything else.

regards

Greg

25. Edwin024

This beta is so stable that it in my case really beats the commercial version that I bought. So I can wait for the final to arrive... maybe it even gets a bit better in some aspects. But the beta is cool!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.