A very Jetico problem.

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by no13, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Installed Jetico v1.0.1.56
    My internet connection got smashed [couldn't surf OR update AV]
    Uninstalled it.
    simultaneously trialling::: LnS, NetVeda Safety.Net
    Any thoughts?

---
    Don't say "don't use firewalls in parallel"... it's a series connection.. they jump in one after the other.
    Plus Electrical engineers are certified to be as experimental as possible... We hack our own cars!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  2. Arup

Arup Guest

Hi no13, try sending a mail to support@jetico.com addressed to Sergey Frolov, you will be impressed at their fast reply like NetVeda.

3. tommy1

tommy1 Guest

Did you bother reading the help file? if you can't figure out how to create your own rules then you are probably better of with a simpler firewall than this one.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

Also quite important to note, Jetico installs 4 drivers which are visible under the hidden attributed non plug and play drivers under device manager, check to see if one of those installed drivers is clashing with previous leftovers, no firewall I have so far tested uninstall cleanly, all of them leave their packet drivers behind, have to be removed manually and a thorough registry cleaning too is the order, specially the Software section. I have gone through almost 8-9 different firewalls so far and have not had a single conflict due to my cleaning up procedure.

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Arup - I think that quite often problems arise due to this. I have gotten into the habit lately of restoring my HD from a backup, registry and all, periodically, just to insure a clean system. Takes 10 minutes. And saves a lot of work.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Kerodo, used to do it at least twice a month, now I am old and tired so take the shortcut and would only format and re-install if the system stops booting or reboots mysteriously.

You are probably younger than I am.

7. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't format any longer.. just a quick restore, 10 minutes. Easy as pie.

Me younger than you? Hmmm.. Do you remember Ozzie and Harriet? If not, then you're probably younger than me... :D

8. Green Dragon

Green Dragon Registered Member

9. Arup

Arup Guest

Just wanted to add, after few hours online, my system looses connection with my LAN with Jetico latest. Time to send another feedback to them I guess.

10. no13

hey.. gang? I was wondering....

if some one has a specific answer to what just transpired on my system. Win Xp SP1a.

If not... anyone have a ready 2 use JPF config?

Or a reference link that explains WHAT is all the "stuff" in its cofiguration??

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

In Win2k, I just did a full backup, including the registry, using Windows Backup immediately after my last reformat/reinstall of Windows. Then when you run into problems, just do a restore using Backup. There are also programs that will take an "image" of your HD, which you can later restore from also. Search for "drive image software" or something similar to that in Google.

12. shek

shek Guest

I have the same problem with Jetico (1.01.55/56). If I exit the jetico, the internet connection comes back. My system is winxp sp2. I cannot figure it out so that I have to uninstall it and use kerio 2.15 again.

13. Arup

Arup Guest

Please send them a feedback if you can, very important that they rule out this bug, didnt exist in previous versions.

14. shek

shek Guest

I sent the feedback three weeks ago, but i haven't received any response yet.

15. Diver

Diver Registered Member

They read all of it, but you may not get a response until the next version comes out. I have seen that pattern before.

I wonder if the problem some of you are having with Jetico dropping the connection has to do with a bad DHCP rule. As I recall the default rule uses services.exe which is for w2k. XP does DHCP using svchost.exe.

It is a bit hard for me to predict where they are going, especially since the pace of the releases has slowed. They have a fairly long list of features folks have asked for, and probably 75% of those run contra to the notion of a light firewall. However, the areas that have attracted the most critics, judging from responses I have received from them and comments on this board, are rule editing, and the numerous network access requests. Some things, like password protection, they might be saving for the paid version

Last edited: Mar 20, 2005
  16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

They do seem to have slowed down on their work on Jetico. I've seen people in other forums post long lists of valid "needs" for the firewall, so I'm sure there's no shortage of things needing to be done. I wonder what they're up to?

17. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Does Jetico allow for non application rules for system functions like this?

Regards,

CrazyM

18. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

CrazyM - Yes, you can just set up an Internet rule for dhcp if you like. No app involved, and specify addresses and ports only. I believe they tied the dhcp rules to services.exe in an attempt to make it more secure. But they forgot that XP doesn't use services.exe for dns or dhcp. Svchost.exe I think.

But you do have the flexibility to set it up as you wish. Pretty nice...

19. Diver

Diver Registered Member

K- I am trying to remember if you can do a Jetico rule with no application specified on the application table, or system application table, or if it has to be on one of the other tables that do not allow specifying an application in the rule.

All I can say is if those guys want to go 3 weeks between releases, it is going to take a long time to finish the project.

20. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Diver - Your intuition is correct. You can indeed do a non-app rule in the app or system app table. Just checked and created one here. Just leave the app portion blank. Whether it works normally, I don't know, but it should.

3 weeks between releases isn't bad compared to others, especially if they add or make some useful changes (not like the last release though).

I sent them an email today, asking them for a list of planned future features and fixes and so on. I'm curious what their plans are and I wanted to see if they would give me some info about what they're doing and planning for the near future. It'll be interesting to see what they say. If they send me a list of stuff, I'll post it in the Jetico thread for everyone.

21. Arup

Arup Guest

An update on my LAN access problems with Jetico, I reinstalled Jetico on both my machine after doing a clean uninstall which meant removing all the leftover drivers, registry entires and the hidden Jetico folder,so far, the LAN access is working fine here. During reinstall, instead of rebooting and then running the configuration tool, I ran it before reboot and added my trusted LAN IP.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 21, 2005
  22. no13

Explaina clean uninstall. what tools did you use?

23. Arup

Arup Guest

no13,

Jetico leaves behind 4 drivers with title of BC Wipe, BC Pakcet etc. under the non plug and play drivers section in device manager, they have to be removed, so does Jetico registry entry in HKEY_CURRENTUSER_SOFTWARE and HKEY_LOCALMACHINE_SOFTWARE, also the hidden Jetico folder has to be deleted under documents and settings>app folder.

24. shek

shek Guest

Thank you Arup. I will try this later. btw, in my previous rule set, i didn't put anything in the trusted list. I even deleted all the trusted groups. To be honest, sometimes i really like the pop ups and it makes me feel like the system is under my control.

25. Arup

Arup Guest

no13,

One of the reasons I didnt create an explicit rule for UDP diagrams from sites, this way, even though it is annoying, I get to keep a control over which website has the habit of asking for datagrams.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.