What is cwshredder ? And where can I get it?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SonyaM32, Mar 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SonyaM32

SonyaM32 Registered Member

I've heard that some viruses are hard to get rid of, and cwshredder can get rid of it.
    Can someone tell me what cwshredder is, and where I can get it?
    Thanx

2. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

3. dog

dog Guest

Hi Sonya, ;)

CWShredder is a removal tool for CWS (CoolWebSearch) trojans/infections ... it was created by Merijn Bellekom - http://www.spywareinfoforum.com/~merijn/ - The rights to CWShredder were sold to Intermute on October 19, 2004 ... and it now maintained by them - so It is only available from Intermute either free as a standalone product or it's available integrated into SpySubstract PRO (payware). You can DL it from here - http://www.intermute.com/spysubtract/cwshredder_download.html

Steve

Edit - Darn - Pieter beat me :p :D

4. SonyaM32

Thanks for the info. I downloaded the free trial.
    One more question. Does ewshredder have a quarentine like ad-aware has ? In case I need to extract a file back . There is one called marketscore that ad-aware finds. But when I quarentine it, my internet will not work. I always have to extract it for my internet to work. I am afraid ewshredder will find it, and not give me the option to extract it.
    Thanx
    PS here is a picture of the marketscore I am talking about

Attached Files:

5. Pieter_Arntz

Hi Sonya,

Can you rightclick that line in AdAware, then choose "Item Details" and click "To Clipboard"

Paste the information into your next post. I may be able to help you get rid of it permanently.

To answer your question: no, CWShredder does not make backups of everything it removes. This is one of the reasons why I don't recommend using it for people that are not infected with the hijackers it tackles.

Regards,

Pieter

6. SonyaM32

Yes here it is.
    Also, I ran the ewshredder, and deleted some things. And then my internet would not work. So I had to do a system restore to get my internet back. Here is the info. I dont know why that smiley is there (after this, can you tell me where you got your avatar from ? I love Metallica)
    Well, there was a smiley there, hmmm ?

Vendor:Marketscore(Netsetter)
    Category: Data Miner
    Object Type:Regkey
    Size:0 Bytes
    Last Activity:3-18-2005
    Risk Level:Low
    TAC index:7
    Comment:
    Description:Claims to increase the speed of your internet connection. Every web connection you make, including 'secure' connections, goes through the proxies and is logged and analysed on behalf of MarketScore's customer companies.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  7. Pieter_Arntz

As I expected.
    If you are running Windows XP you can use WinSockFix
    Let me know if you are using a different version of Windows.

I made the avatar myself, with a little help from my brother who runs a nice site about Metallica:
    http://www.joroprod.com/

Regards,

Pieter

8. SonyaM32

Thanks for the info. Can you explain to me how I use the winsock ? Like step by step since I am only somewhat computer literate, LOL
    Yes I have windows xp. Thanx
    Cool about the metallica deal :D Wanna make me one, LOL j/k/ :D

9. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Until Pieter is able to drop by....I'll offer a few comments that you can do until then. After downloading the winsockfix.exe file to a Temp folder....execute the file and click on the Info button. It will display the steps needed according to your operating system. You can also highlight all the info....paste it into notepad or direct it to your printer while you follow along with Pieter's instructions.

Attached Files:

10. SonyaM32

Thanx Bubba I printed the info. I hope I do not have to have a Windows XP CD, to do this ? I don't have one. It came installed on my computer already. All I have is the Windows 98 CD. o_O

11. SonyaM32

oh my !!!!
    I just tried to read what I printed, I don't understand not one bit of it, LoL :D :D :D I will need help. :oops:

12. Pieter_Arntz

How to use WinsockFix in this particular case.

Go offline and double-click on the WinsockFix.exe you downloaded. When the program launches click on the ReG-Backup button to backup your registry.
    Then run AdAware and have it remove the Marketscore/Netsetter item
    Then run WionsockFix again and click on the Fix button to fix the corrupted LSP Chain. Reboot your computer and you should now be able to access the Internet.

If anything should go wrong and you can't connect to the internet after this procedure, find and doubleclick C:\ERDNT\ERDNT.exe That will restore the backup you made.

Regards,

Pieter

13. SonyaM32

Thank you !
    I printed this, and now i'm off to do what you said. I will be back to let you know. :)

14. SonyaM32

Well, im back !!! It worked !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Thank you soooooooo much. :D I still want that avatar, LOL :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.