Full F-Secure + Adaware Pro for free w/Lifetime License.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by SDS909, Mar 13, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SDS909

SDS909 Guest

I ran across a company giving away rebranded F-Secure 2005 Pro for free, and F-Secure AntiSpuware (Adaware Pro Rebranded) for free.

http://start.shaw.ca/start/enca/Customer Service Centre/shawsecure.htm

On the second page it asks for your Shaw customer account number, then says:

"If you are a Shaw customer, please enter the following information. This step is optional and is not required to download Shaw Secure. If you are not a Shaw customer or do not wish to provide this information select the skip button and continue with your download. "

I emailed Shaw about this, and they said its for all current, and possibly future customers, but they said everyone is welcome to have it for free as a marketing tool for Shaw. Huh?

Seems to me F-Secure2005 + AdawarePro(Rebranded to Shaw Security) is now free for life or something?

2. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I'm going to give it a shot and see if they'll let me download it. I have never tried F-Secure. Hopefully, it isn't some monster Norton size download or, since I'm on dialup, I might be not have any info for quite a while.

I'm willing to take the time and chance that non Shaw customers won't be stuck with a time limited copy (ala Microsoft's 6 month deal) or an evaluation copy with some things unuseable.

3. webmedic

webmedic Registered Member

just curious how much info you can get into here a
    it is 5.9 megs and the adaware plugin for it is 4.6 megs.

I can not see anyplace in this were it is against thier tos.

4. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

Yep, 5.9MB. I didn't opt for Adaware since I already have it. I downloaded it, had to reboot twice to get things started, and now it's downloading security updates 7.28MB, and then goes to security applications, unknown right now how big that will be. I think the 5.9MB thing is a downloader or whatever it's called. I'm in the process of downloading the actual software now from the way it looks. We'll see. It is working though, so can't complain, and nothing else to do on a cold, windy, day.

*edit* okay, downloading software package, 33.94MB *sigh*

Well, sure wish we had broadband out here in the sticks.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2005
  5. quexx88

quexx88 Registered Member

Woah, this is awesome.

6. tahoma

tahoma Registered Member

any way to download the FULL package, without having to use the download installer?

7. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

I downloaded this and tried to install it but it wanted to uninstall KAV which I won't do no matter what.
    Okay, I went through the registry to clean up the stuff it left behind even though it uninstalled itself supposedly.
    I noticed it had tried to install the Backweb client as there were a few entries about it under Shaw Secure.
    I don't think I will be installing this again, it makes you think why they would give it away for free. :(

8. RAV

RAV Registered Member

9. F-Secure delivers virus definition updates with technology called F-Secure BackWeb. F-Secure BackWeb Client is used to update either centrally managed or stand-alone F-Secure Anti-Virus 5.x

10. Nitrox

Nitrox Registered Member

No thanks, I still don't trust it even if it's from a reputable company, I've read a few horror stories about Backweb.

11. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Beware of F-Secure. Backweb installed mandatory screen savers with ads and forced me to use them. That was about two years ago when I was given a free key for a year's subscription for F-Secure. It wasn't easy to get F-Secure off my box either. Don't go near any application that uses Backweb. Oh, of course, it called home immediately and not to get definition updates.

12. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

shaw.ca isnt that a Spammer domain? If you check anywhere you will see they are known for sending thousands or millions spam emails. I wouldnt trust any of that.

13. jlo

jlo Registered Member

Hi,

I ran F-secure 2003 for a year and had no problems with advertising and no problems uninstalling it. thought it was an excellent program with excellent support.

Don't now about Shaw AV though.

Cheers

Jlo

14. INTOXSICKATED

INTOXSICKATED Registered Member

my old compaq came loaded with backweb crap. caused nothing but problems, and came to find out that compaq themselves stopped using it. this looks too suspicious for me.

15. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

F-Secure is a seriously good av, I would be more than happy to leave my pc open to its security.
    The backweb deal is ,in my opinion, non existent, backweb in this case is needed and welcomed, I have tested and looked into it and its fine.

16. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I downloaded this program from shaw and installed it and it is running just fine,back web and all.

bigc

17. bigc73542

The shaw av is just f-secure with shaw on it along with the f-secure logo

bigc

18. bigc73542

And I do like the idea of getting F-Secure AntiSpyware (adaware pro) free also.

bigc

19. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Me too . What the Hell ? I am P4 2.4 but , geez . And I have a meg of ram . Slowed me down bigtime .

20. bigc73542

I didn't experience a slow down at all, it actually runs very well on my machine.

bigc

21. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I am running F-secure 5 on a 1GHz AMD box with 512 mb ram and no slowdown whatsoever.

22. hollywoodpc

Very strange . Big C . I take it you turned off NOD OR did you uninstall to try this Shaw F-Secure deal ?

23. bigc73542

I still have nod installed but it is set as on demand.

bigc

24. hollywoodpc

Thank you kindly my friend . I may try it out again and see how it goes . Please let me know if you have any problems . Would love to know how you get along with it . Take care for now

25. bigc73542

I will keep you up to date on any problems I might encounter if any in this thread.

bigc

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.