VERY Slow Imaging

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by EazyVG, Mar 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EazyVG

EazyVG Registered Member

Hi,

I am trying to backup my System-Disk, which is on partition C, with 20GB allocated to it. The problem I am facing is the speed. With 20GB partiotn, and less than 10GB info on it, it takes more time then stated when going through wizard, which says roughly 10-15 mins with Normal option.

First time I tried backing up, I waited for 2 hours, and the backup status was showing that less than 10% completed. Then once I left it for all night, after 7-8 hours, it wasn't even half way through. I reinstalled the WinXP eventually, and tried again, but the problem still persists. Can't understand what is wrong.

I am not using RAID, Dynamic Disks or some encryption on this particular partition, nor where backing up, and WinXP is the only OS installed on this hard-drive.

I tried to backup on same HDD (which has C - System, D - DATA, E - Paging) and on 2nd HDD (F - DATA_2). I needed to hold backups on DVD, so tried splitting images 2GB each, and also tried without this feature. Basically I have tried most of the options.

My System Specs are:
    AMD A64 3500+
    Asus A8V Deluxe rev.1.02
    1GB OCZ DDR500 Dual Channel
    200GB + 120GB SATA Maxtor Diamond MaxPlus 10 Drives
    (Both HDDs are installed on VIA SATA Controller)
    LiteON DVD-RW 832S
    WinXP Pro SP2
    Acronis TrueImage Workstation 8 build 935
    NO Overclocking on system
    All latest drivers are installed

Looking forward for a reply from Acronis Tech Staff, and also from other guys, who had such prob, or might give some suggestions.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello EazyVG,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please download the latest build (937), which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

Also please check your system performance in the disk access, i.e. make sure writing to disk and reading from it are fast enough with other applications.

Please be aware that estimated time and image archive size are quite approximate, as different type of data allow different level of compression and require different amount of time to be compressed.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. EazyVG

EazyVG Registered Member

I do understand this, but there is a huge difference between 15-30 mins and 7-10 hours, and not even completing the task! :eek:

What do u mean by saying to check my system performance in the disk access - which program should i use to post the results?

Downloaded the latest build. The problem is still there !!!

I really need this app to work. C'mon guys, help me out. o_O

Last edited: Mar 12, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

5. EazyVG

EazyVG Registered Member

I will do so and send the report in the coming days.

6. lietzen

lietzen Registered Member

Please look in this forum at:
    " Processing, please wait... "

---------------------------------------------------------

"... but when I reach the windows in the subject the PC locks.
    ... I'm using two SATA drives.
    Anyone can help me to find a solution?"

YES I have a solution for you:
    I had two times the same problem (with the newest build 800); the solution may sound very silly BUT IT WORKS for me:
    Just move the mouse, always move the mouse, move it and move it while restoring the image. You will see that the time calculated for image restoration may decrease rapidly - but if you stop moving the mouse, the program freezes again.
    This is not a very nice solution, but it was (2 times needed) easier for me to move the mouse for about 15 minutes and the image getting restored, than to reinstall the whole system!!!
    It would be very kind by Acronis Service to fix the problem or find a better solution.
    Thanks, R. Lietzen, Germany
    lietzen at web.de ~ edited to prevent harvesting ~ Blackspear

And after waiting for responsible service of Acronis - the problem is not new - I have a personal solution: Norton Ghost 2003 (2003!), the good old DOS based offline image software. That works not comfoprtable, but it WORKS!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2005
  7. Rich A

Rich A Registered Member

I've had True Image 8 for a while and imaged my drives when I first got it. In the last couple weeks I have not been able to do a single backup. I too find it taking WAY too long. So long that I've been cancelling the image session.

Don't know why this cropped up? For example I'm now trying to do a full image of a 120 gb drive that only has 15 gb of data or use.

Acronis has been running about 1/2 hour. Current Operation and Total Progress bars have not even started yet.

And Remaining time just keeps incrementing higher. Right now it says there is ONE DAY and 14 HOURS remaining. This is totally useless. I'm about to make a major change in the system and really wanted to image the drive first. I don't have a couple "days" to wait though.

8. Rich A

Rich A Registered Member

I guess I've found an answer. For me at least. Noticed there was a newer version available. Updated to the latest build .. all is back to normal.

9. simon_warner

simon_warner Guest

Please check wether your hard disk is running in DMA mode ...

http://www.michna.com/kb/WxDMA.htm

10. mareke

mareke Registered Member

Lietzen I recently encountered this problem. If you were using a cordless mouse or a USB mouse you should try attaching a corded PS2 mouse. This should solve the problem. If however you were using a PS2 mouse try downloading Logitech Mouseware free from the Logitech website and installing it (even if you don't use a Logitech mouse) and see if it solves the problem (it did for me). You should not have to resort to using a program like Ghost with its old fashioned and outdated Dos based interface.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.