Problems on multi-user machine with PG free

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by jimmytop, Mar 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jimmytop

jimmytop Registered Member

When switching between user accounts on a multi-user XP Pro SP2 machine, I sometimes get the following message when I go back into the Admin account:

"A part of process guard (pgaccount.exe) is currently not running.
    When this part is not running Process Guard will not be able to handle execution requests"

What gives? I'm not sure what causes this. All I'm doing is going from one user account to another. Sometimes I use Fast User Switching, but even when I log off of each user before going to the admin account, I still get this message.

I thought process guard protected itself from being shut down??

Thanks!

2. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jim, Pretty sure that this is normal behaviour as the pgaccount is usually in all user acounts. If you run a program that has allow once, do you get an alert from ProcessGuard?

Pilli

3. jimmytop

Yes, I think I do. I'll specifically try it the next time I get that message. But the message makes it sound pretty ominous... Like it's not working right and I need to reboot or something. The little PG icon even turns red and the status in the Main tab says PGACCOUNT.EXE not running.

So is it a problem or not? I guess I don't get it. Should I be concerned if pgaccount is not running? I look in task manager and it's not there. I'll try to execute something that is not on the allow list next time I get the message and let you know.

Thanks

4. jimmytop

Bad news. I got that message again. I was in my limited user account, logged out of it, and logged into my admin account and that's when I got the message.

I then tried to run several applications that were NOT on the PG allow list. They all executed!! ARG
    I went to the security tab of the PG gui and it had logged them all with the last action of "Permit Once (could not ask user)". All the while giving me the message that "pgaccount.exe" was not functioning. This is really not acceptable. I don't want stuff running without me specifically giving it permission.

What is causing the pgaccount.exe service to shut down? Is there a support email address I should send these issues to or does Diamond CS read these forums?

Thanks for any help.

5. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

support@diamondcs.com.au The response to your intitial posts was made within ten minutes - Hardly bad I think.

If you were running a previous version of PG did you follow the update procedure in the stcky's above?

Pilli

6. jimmytop

Pilli, I just didn't read close enough to realize that you were with Diamond CS. Sorry!
    Also my question was not to criticize - I just wanted to make sure I was in the right place ;)
    So anyway, thanks for the quick response, I appreciate it. I will try the support email that you provided.

No, this was the first install of PG on this machine. I have never used it before....

7. jimmytop

Well I sent this problem to the support email address but haven't received any help back.

I just don't get why this keeps happening. It seems related to fast user switching but I haven't found the exact steps to duplicate it yet. But without fail, after fiddling around in the user accounts, if I flip back to the admin account I get the message about pgaacount not running, and indeed it's not a false warning - it's really not running.

Anyone?

8. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Hi Jim, Hopefully DCS will respond to your email soon.
    Other fast switching users may also be of assistance.

Pilli

9. jimmytop

Re: Problems on multi-user machine with PG Full

I have upgraded to the full registered version of PG. I'm still having this problem. No response from DiamondCS. Here is the email I sent to them today:

"I am a paid and registered PG user. My system has three accounts: two limited user, and one admin account (plus the main Administrator account).

When I log off the limited user account and log into the Admin account, I receive the message that pgaccount.exe is not running. I check the Task Manager and it is NOT running - this is not a false error. The PG GUI also says it's not running.

I have to reboot the machine to get it running again. Then, if I login to the Admin account later, it happens again. It seems to happen about every 2nd time that I login to the Admin account.

I'm attaching screenshots:
    1) The error message
    2) The PG Main tab showing that it's not running
    3) The Task Manager process list in alphabetical order showing that it's not running

This is highly disturbing. Thanks for your help."

Please help!! This is not just a Fast User Switching issue. This happens even logging off each account before logging into the next.

Here are the screenshots that I sent:
    http://home.woh.rr.com/topjimmy/pgerror.jpg
    http://home.woh.rr.com/topjimmy/pgmain.jpg
    http://home.woh.rr.com/topjimmy/pgaccountmissing.jpg

Furthermore, I have confirmed (repeatedly) that after getting this message, application execution is no longer blocked!!! I get no alerts, it just lets any old thing run!

Last edited: Mar 19, 2005
  10. jimmytop

(bump)
    How long does it usually take DiamondCS to respond to technical support requests from paid customers? I have both emailed them and sent through their online support request email and have heard nothing back. This was days ago....
    Can someone change the subject of this thread to PG paid instead of PG free? I've registered the software, does that get me any better support?
    Thanks for any help.

11. Gavin - DiamondCS

Gavin - DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

12. jimmytop

Yes, they are both there in the keys that they should be in. And it works most of the time. When I'm in the admin account I get the PG gui along with pgaccount.exe. When I'm in a limited user account, not the gui but the pgaccount.
    But about every 3rd or fourth time that I log out of the limited account and log into the admin account, I get the message that is shown above and pgaccount.exe does not run.

13. jimmytop

(bump)
    I continue to experience this problem on a seemingly random basis. However, when it happens, it is not a false alert - the pgaccount.exe process is not running and PG is not protecting. I have to reboot to get it back.
    No response from DiamondCS via private email channels....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.