restoring primary partition

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by scaa, Mar 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scaa

scaa Registered Member

TI says restoring can be done from the windows interface and that it is better.
    I am using xp home. I find that once restoration of the primary partition is given and the proceed button is clicked a dialog box informs that a reboot is required as number of files are open. On reboot one has to give all the particulars for restoring a second time!!
    If the necessary options were given in the windows interface already, should'nt the restore start automaticallyo_O
    Otherwise what is the point in giving restore options in the windows interface.
    We could always do that with F11 command at the time of booting.

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello scaa,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Currently you will not be able to restore the system partition without rebooting into Acronis True Image standalone mode. This problem is a part of the big enhancement on the global scripting. This enhancement is being developed and will be implemented in future versions of Acronis True Image.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. scaa

scaa Registered Member

Thanks, Ilya.
    We all will be looking forward to it.
    In that case I feel it would be simpler to boot into acronis thru F11 and create the image there itself, instead of putting the options in the windows interface.
    A proper mention of this in the help file would help users this unnecessary duplication of giving options for creating an image of the primary partition thru the windows interface.

4. Acronis Support

Hello scaa,

The image creation can be done under Windows even if you create the image of a system partition. However, the restoration of a system partition under Windows is impossible.

As for the correction of the User's Guide, I have forwarded your notice to the responsible person. I think this addition is worth implementing.

Thank you for your input.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Yes but that would require creation of a the Secure Zone and activation of the Startup Recovery Manage. Not something I would recommend unless absolutely necessary (i.e. single hard drive system).

Regards

6. scaa

scaa Registered Member

Menorcaman,
    You can restore partitions by booting thru F11 even without the creation of secure zone from any image created elsewhere. However, activation of Startup Recovery Manager will be necessary.
    My main point was that since it is IMPOSSIBLE to restore the primary partition in windows, there would be unnecessary duplication as pointed out in my starter thread.

And thanks, Ilya for realising the issue.

7. danger69

danger69 Registered Member

Sorry to kinda thread jack this posting. But I restored my primary partition and everything works. But how do I fix the master boot and other misc stuff. Its not a real big problem that it takes about 30 seconds for my bios to boot up into win2k. But it does get annoying. How do I fix the mbr and others when I'm using win2k?

8. Acronis Support

9. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hi scaa,

Not strictly true. In order to activate the Startup Recovery Manager you need a Secure Zone. If it doesn't already exist TI will prompt you to create one.

If someone really cannot live without a SZ then so be it. However, I would always recommend that they don't activate the Startup Recovery Manager. Doing so causes TI to modify the system disk MBR, which can (and often does) cause compatibilty problems with non-Acronis multi-boot managers and other low level utilities. Still, each to their own as they say!!

Regards

10. tuttle

tuttle Guest

I wish I had seen this advice before I installed True Image. I read through the manual and it seemed to advise me to activate Startup Recovery Manager in order to better protect my system. As you know, that then created a Secure Zone. Unfortunately, in doing that it wiped out my system and data partition and made my drive unbootable. I'm awaiting advice from Acronis Support: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=69483

I wish I'd read these forums before I followed the manual's advice, as then I would not have activated Startup Recovery Manager.

11. 2budbeer

2budbeer Registered Member

I just got TI 8 build 800. I read this repley from Ilya so I tried to activate the Acronis Startup Recovery Manager through the TI program. All I wanted was to set up the Rec Man. not a secure zone, but it looked like that it did. After clicking proceed it rebooted my comp and started doing some sort of partitioning. Next thing I know the system rebooted and I was told "A disk read error occurred" and to do a restart. Restart no help system is stuck here. Fortunitly I was intending to dump my system anyways after I get the new hard drive dilivered today.
    What did I do wrong? I followed the owner's manual instructions. Apperantly a person needs Acronis Startup Recovery Manager installed in order to restore. How do you install Rec Man without having the secure zone installing too_O?

A quote from Acronis TI 8 web page.

"Its automated, wizard-driven operations make the backup and restore a no-brainer."
    Who are they foolingo_O Anyone who reads this forum knows thats a bunch of lies.

1budbeer

12. Dennis Hart

Dennis Hart Guest

Okay here's something else. I'm trying to restore my boot drive and I get the message to reboot in the Acronis "safe mode". Now I can't "see" the disk that my image is on (a USB external drive). Of course when I getting ready to perform the restore inside windows and Acronis it sees it just fine. How the heck am I supposed to make this thing work?

13. Acronis Support

Hello Dennis,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

First of all, please make sure you use the latest build (800), which is available on our web site at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/support/updates/. To get access to updates you should register your software first at http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/registration/. Please disable any download managers, internet download/connection boosters, etc. before the download.

After that please create new full version of Acronis Bootable CD with the latest build using "Create Bootable Rescue Media" tool, boot from this CD and choose the "Restore Image" wizard. If this doesn't work please try the "acpi=off noapic" workaround and if it fails please create sysinfo.txt file and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the detailed instructions).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.