Win MX + Zone Alarm (free version)

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by james09, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. james09

james09 Registered Member

I am currently unable to download anything off of Winmx. I think I need to set up a port so that it will work, if this is the case, can someone give me fairly detailed instructions on how to set up port forwarding so that WinMX will work with my pc. I have allowed the software Winmx.exe on the zone alarm 'allow list' but I still cannot download anything....
    James, help would be much appreciated.

2. Hello James,

I was using Za pro at the time,which I no longer use or would I recommend anybody buying any Za firewall free or otherwise(bad firewall),but back to your problem,if you add these two rules to WinMX you should have no problem connecting,not sure if the free version has a rule-editor?But if it does try and add these two rules on the pro version you can,not 100% about the free version.

WinMx:TCP:6669 allow and a UPD rule WinMx 6257 allow,I found by adding a 1 in front of each rule
    (ex: tcp 16669 and upd 16257,I was able to connect to many more severs on WinMX,and the slavenap severs in advanced options,Warning!!! if your computer is virus free?,Trojan free?,worm free?,it won't be for long!,found a stealth worm on there sever,was very hard to remove,every time I ran my AV,the worm would go to sleep,took two day's to rid myself of this worm,which comes from WinMX severs,and never download anything except Mp3s,Most Avi's files have a code built in to change your home page and other things in your computer and in a few months your computer is done! I was using WinMx,but on private severs so I knew the people who ran the severs so I had nothing to worry about,but if you start to use slavenap severs some of them are in fact the law!Make sure you have peer guardian running at all times! You problem could also be in the set-up of WinMX itself,one wrong answer to you connection questions and you won't be able to connect.Just a word of warning don't share much,or nothing at all!(your are opening your shares to the Internet,and there alot of hacking going on never download any exe files,or zip files,WinRAR 90% or more have a virus in them,or a Trojan,so I would really get a better firewall anything but zonealarm free ,pro,suite they all suck to high heaven!

Good luck James and watch out p2p is very unsafe if you don't know what you are doing,all the best!

3. james09

james09 Registered Member

StealthSSL 128B I tried what you said, there was no difference, but thanks anyway. I don't have that rule thing on ZA free and it seems that I cannot add a UDP port unless I have ZA Pro, which I don't have.

So I tried doing the set-up again and put my connection on DSL and it came up with "Win MX is unable to send/recieve UDP packets to/from the internet. This could be due to many factors, such as settings in your operatin system, a software based firewall, the use of proxy server, or a broadband firewall/router." It then goes on to say I may be able to open or forward a UDP port, but it is not required, but it says that you get more search results if you have a 'primary connection' rather than a 'secondary connection' which I am using at the moment.

So if anyone has ZA free or knows a site with a guide on how to add a UDP port I would be very grateful!I am just wondering if you add a UDP port does it make you more exposed/open to a hacker and if this is the case is there a way of stopping it?

Thanks

4. SteathSSL

SteathSSL Guest

Hello James,

Sorry you are having trouble,this should work and I was using this way for 51/2 years on WinMX,first zonealarm programs access rights WinMX needs 4 green checks always,when you go to options in WinMX,there are bandwidth options,uploading and downloading options and then there is are port options,this is where you have to tell WinMX which ports to use,if you don't check these options,you won't connect to the WinMX severs,so input these into ports options in WinMX :TCP:6669 and below UPD rule WinMx 6257,and make sure that they are activated,and you can also try tcp 16669 and upd 16257,if the first one won't work for you,by adding a 1 in front of each port will give you more connections and more people will be able to connect to you.As for using primary connection or a secondary connection,that depends on your computer, some work fine using primary connection and some work better with a secondary connection,try each one but after 15 minutes you still can't connect?(no green light?), you have something blocking your ports,many IP's will block these ports and,so we found (*Admin.,Mod's from private severs) a way around that and it was by using tcp 16669 and upd 16257 and telling WinMX to use these ports,as for protecting yourself against hackers,when using P2P unless you know about hacking yourself and how to protect yourself against them,then your OK,but if you think a firewall can protect you it just can't,and that goes for any firewall,first you have to trust IE,and you have to trust WinMX and that's where a hacker will find a way in by IE,WinMX,or your media player if it is running at the same time as WinMX,if they want in they will,unless you learn what they know which takes years to learn just how they do it,and then you will know how to protect yourself against these people,if you have a real-time trojan protector,virus protector,a sever detector software,and a few other things it help's,but still nothing is 100% safe when using P2P,I not telling you what to do, ,just telling what to expect when using P2P software,and if your firewall has SPI,you have to disable the SPI feature and in doing so there goes some of your security right there,I used WinMx for many many years with no problem with hackers,but when these stealth worms came out,that' when I called it quits,and it just became a zoo and that's going back about 6 years,hate to see what it like to day,also most people use anti-leech detectors,so if your not sharing 80 files or more ,the program sees you are sharing under 80 files or less and will nuke you off there sever,and another reason you might be having problems is zonealarm is set to high and is not allowing connections(look at the za log file and what is blocking it?),it can take up to 15 minutes to connect if the network is busy,also try importing some slavenap servers,in adanvced options,by using NapMX or add them yourself,good luck you should not have a problem connecting,99% of the people using WinMX who can't connect it is usuallly something the user did during set-up not WinMX,good luck

5. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Are you behind a router?
    Did you allow WinMX "Server" in the Internet zone?

Regards,

CrazyM

6. Diver

Diver Registered Member

For P2P apps, start with giving them complete access (internet, trusted for both access and server). If you have a good reason, such as known exploits dealing with that application, then you may need expert rules. In additon to any rules specified by the author of the program ZA needs DNS, loopback (in some circumstances), possibly ICP, and a terminating rule. The reason is that each app stands on its own in ZA. The firewall rules just seem to only be effective to block things, from what I can see.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.