Single File Encryption

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by DougWD61, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougWD61

DougWD61 Registered Member

I've been using Nick Payne's Cryptext program for year, and years, and. . . well you get the point, to encrypt single files and directories. I use TueCrypt for containers, but that isn't convienient for single files, such as my passwords lists.

So, no problem, right? Well, I'm concerned that Nick's Cryptext is getting long in the tooth, and since he is no longer updating the program, since 2001, I'm afraid that with the new 64 bit OS's, that it will no longer work in the near future.

That being the case, what do you recommend for "right click" encryption for single files or directories? Or, do you think Cryptext will continue to work for the long term future, say 5 years or more?

Thanks

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

invisible secrets is my favourite and has plenty of features like hiding, locking,encrypted password manager, I use it practically every day and very satisfied, I tried a lot too :D

and they just updated to 4.3 and all registered users receive it for free and offers some new features.

3. Infinity

this would be the new one: everything accessible by tray icon, they give all clients a survey when they want to release something new asking what could be better and what they would like and then they do it...splendid...all emails answered in two/three hours...gotta love that :D :D

4. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Will is encrypt a whole drive if you wanted to like your main drive and OS?

5. Infinity

the professional version can create vaults, I have two vaults at the moment integrated into explorer from the moment I put in the password.

safebit is in standalone version can be integrated (pro version).

but it cannot encrypt the operating system. I think there is only one program that can do it.

DCPP I believe.

6. DougWD61

OK, what I would like is a barebones program like cryptext for right click encrypt/decrypt, no frills. Like I said, I use True Crypt for continaers and other tasks. I would also like it to be something that is open source, and therefore hopefully supported for a long time, plus free. Companies go out of business all of the time, or make their "free" programs pay only after a certain time. I'm surprised AVG hasn't done that yet.

7. DougWD61

I was hoping for 168bit. Also, for those interested in a GREAT free preboot entire hard drive encryption program, see Compusec at http://www.ce-infosys.com.sg/CeiNews_FreeCompuSec.asp. It's also done in Germany, so it's exempt from US intrusions.

Been using it for years.

8. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

Hi Doug,

You're confusing block ciphers and stream ciphers. A 128-bit block cipher is extremely strong and is, in fact, the strength of the current AES, Rijndael. This is what you want for single-file encryption. Axcrypt is excellent for what you are wanting. When you refer to "168-bit" you are referring to stream ciphers such as RC4 (like what is used to secure web communications).

Whether 128,256, or 512 bit key lengths, there is little or no practical difference as far as security for the desktop - single files, containers, etc. The overblown key-lengths you see for block ciphers spells: SNAKE OIL.

Gerard

9. meneer

meneer Registered Member

There are a few more besides Drivecrypt: Safeboot (.com), SafeGuard (utimaco), Pointsec (.com), Winmagic.com.
    These products offer pre boot authentication by means of a password or token. This way the whole harddisk is encrypted, including the operating system. If you need more info, don't hesitate to ask :)

10. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Thanks for the heads up meneer,

I found out about Drivecrypt but did not know about the others, from all I read either Drivecrypt with plus pack or SafeGuard Easy looks like what I am looking for. Both are expensive but as with everything else in life you get what you pay for.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.