Ad-Aware not updating ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by hollywoodpc, Mar 3, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Last update I have is 02/20/2005 . 15 days old . Does anyone know what is going on ?

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi hollywoodpc,

Since the updates forum is only for verified product/software update notices, I have moved your thread to the privacy software forum where it will get proper attention ;) ...

3. hollywoodpc

Sorry Puff . Thank you

4. BlackSwan

BlackSwan Registered Member

Um, I don't know what's going on, but my latest AAW definitions are even older than that - 2/16/05... :doubt:

In the Lavasoft forum this is the date of the latest update announced as well, and checking for updates shows those are the latest definitions available. o_O

5. hollywoodpc

Thank you Black . Glad it is not just me . This is not good though . But , thank you again . let us hope they will come soon .

6. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

Spyware Blaster, Spybot S & D & Spysweeper...all got undated in last 2 days :D Lets see what AdAware is cooking ! :p

7. Beefcarver

Beefcarver Registered Member

same here. no Updates. Im thinking of getting rid of it. It is just taking up space and it never finds nothing. Im Very un satisfied with this program. :mad:

8. hollywoodpc

lol . Yep . It just sits in windows . But , if I ever do get anything , nice to know I can PROBABLY find it . Hope they update soon

9. hollywoodpc

If this is to mean that you have had no update on SB , I am confused . I have said before that I do not see where SB does anything . But , SB only updates like 2 times a month for me , AT BEST . I may dump it

10. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

No, that's not what he was saying. He said: "SpywareBlaster, SpyBotS&D and SpySweeper all got updated in the last two days" and he indicated that he was anxious to see what AA came up with, update-wise, next.

If I were you, sitting there running Ad-Watch as you apparently are (which is AdAware's "resident"-type protection) and SBS&D was "doing anything" - I'd definitely be worried. (Unless, of course, you were unlucky enough to become infected with the little WhenU problem, of course! <g> ).

If your point is that you don't need SBS&D since you're running Ad-Watch, I'd have to differ with you there - the two programs have always either picked up on things that the other one misses - or they both have different parameters as to exactly what they'll search for, what other program functions are included, etc.

SBS&D will always find things it can fix after an AA scan - it won't necessarily be spyware, but as long as you have SBS&D using available beta defs and have everything in "Settings/Filesets" check-marked, you'll see what I mean.

BTW - I've always been curious - can you provide us with a screenshot of the resource usage of Ad-Watch from WTM? Thanks. Pete

11. MushfiQ

Thx Pete for clarify that....indeed my point was that. Havent run adware for a month now just being curious & ran it again dint foudn any nasty...hope i am clean :D Spybots immunization feature along with Spyware Blaster at least helps the way the nasties are coming up these days! On the other hand Spy Sweeper is very active these days updating twice a week or three. I havent gave a shot at MS one yet...so far so good along with all aboe mentiond along with KAV extended bases :)

Cheers
    :cool:

12. hollywoodpc

I think I have confused you . SB is Spyware Blaster . NOT SBS&D . Secondly , I used to run ad-watch . Not anymore . My point was a simple one . SPYWARE BLASTER has not caught anything or done anything since install . Everyone talks about it as being great . I disagree . I have purposely thrown spyware at it . it installed on my system with no problem . It updates MAYBE 2 times a month . Personally , going against everyone else here , it is worthless . I do use Adaware and SBS&D . Good combo I think . I apologize for the confusion . Thanks Pete

13. MushfiQ

no probs holywoodpc ;) Actually the author of SB S & D himself mentioned to use SPyware Blaster along with it to have a better protection :)

14. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

Okay, my apologies for mis-understanding.

Sorry, I assumed since you had it in your sig that you were still using it.

I'm thinkin' here that you're not really understanding exactly what SpywareBlaster does actually do. It only deals with ActiveX-based scum-ware (in the main, anyway, aside from the relatively few entries it places in the "Restricted" zone) - if the types spyware that you've "thrown at it" aren't exactly that (ActiveX-based), yeah, you're not going to see SpywareBlaster doing anything ("catching" anything, that is).

As far as "done anything" - well, SpywareWareBlaster has already "done" everything it's ever going to do after you've d/l'ed, updated and "Enabled all protections" for it - it sets the "kill-bits" and it's done.

No resource-usage, and the only program "maintenance" involved is keeping up with the updates and "applying" them as time goes on (would that all programs operated in such a fashion).

As has been mentioned by MushfiQ, Patrick himself recommends the use of SpywareBlaster - I wouldn't underestimate that recommendation, were I you.

You also need to think about the fact that harmful ActiveX-based CLSID's don't come out with nearly the frequency of other malware - the seemingly paltry rate of updates to SpywareBlaster are entirely due to that fact, now that javacool's already on top of all the earlier ones.

It's your decision, of course - but you won't see Pete un-installing SpywareBlaster - ever.

There's no reason to and a lot of reasons not to. Pete

Last edited: Mar 4, 2005
  15. hollywoodpc

Thank you Spy1 . No wonder . Outpost deals with that all by itself so I will go ahead and remove Spyware Blaster . And I do know you set it and forget it . You read too much into that . No problem . Makes no diff . You helped me out . Now I can dump it . Thank you

16. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

You're quite welcome. Pete

17. Mele20

Mele20 Former Poster

Lot of griping on the LavaSoft forums today about no update but then a new definitions file became available a couple of hours ago.

Reference Number : SE1R29 05.03.2005

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

"Not news here." Already posted in our Update Alerts Forum :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.