Total Uninstall 3.0-Question

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by Don Pelotas, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'm trialling TU and in the option's, there is an option to exclude regkeys, these were added default.

The question is: Is there a good reason for this being added default, i would have thought that you would want these not added to achieve a Total Uninstall? :)

Attached Files:

• TU.png
      TU.png
      File size:
      25.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Windows continually updates certain registry keys, others may be backup only and some are hardware related so should not be affected by software installs.

In the case of the ControlSet001-3 keys, these are backup copies of the CurrentControlSet so do not need to have changes undone (indeed, including them may cause problems later since any subsequent uninstalls may affect other installations done).

I would however *include* (not exclude) CurrentControlSet with caution since system/device-level software installs (e.g. firewalls, device drivers) can make changes here. However many entries here are continually updated so if you do this, you need to check each monitored installation to remove unrelated items (things that have been added should be kept, those that have just been changed should not).

Since these things can be very system-specific, you may wish to remove all exclusion entries and decide for yourself after a few installs which keys should be excluded. Be aware though, that lots of keys get changed on a Windows restart! (which will need to be removed from the uninstall).

3. Don Pelotas

Thank you for a very informative post, Paranoid2000. It seems that i have some testing to do, i will "make haste slowly". ;)

Thank you again

Regards

4. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

You might also want to give TU 2.35 (free) a trial. Per THIS comparison TU 3 has more bells & whistles but it doesn't provide any additional *power* over the free version.

5. Don Pelotas

Thank you Bellgamin. I've used the free version for quite some time, simply wanted too see what new one brings. ;)

I will be trying InstallWatch next (thanks to Blackcat & yourself). :)

Regards

6. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

Good-o, but please note: I would regard Install Watch as more on the order of an Integrity Checker, or as a double-check on a REAL uninstaller. It tells you what got changed, but it offers zero help toward helping you reverse those changes.

In fact, most so-called uninstallers are pretty lame. Except for the ones listed below, all of them merely give you a handy tool, with a pretty GUI, for using the uninstaller that came with each program. If a program lacks an uninstaller (or has an inferior one), these so-called uninstallers are just as helpless as Add/Remove. In other words, they only do what Windows itself can do, but with make-up on.

I consider than the only *TRUE* uninstallers are those which monitor the full & actual changes made by a program during an install, AND are capable of automatically & fully removing those changes if you tell them to do so. The ONLY ones I know that do this are (1) Total Uninstall, (2) Trash It, (3) Ashampoo, & (4) Tenebril Uninstall.

7. Don Pelotas

Yes, i installed it and proceeded to do an install/uninstall, and went for the uninstall "button".... :D :D...no harm done...... and i got to try out yet another programm. :cool:
    I agree, i've tried most of them and most them have failed. Except for Total Uninstall & if memory serves me correctly Ashampoo. :)

Regards

8. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Hope Don doesn't mind me asking about this program within his post but I have noticed it being referred to in various posts on the forum.

I am 'thinking' about something like this but have a few questions:

I have a registry cleaner which I am used to cleaning with and it has the facility to string search on various words which coud find left overs of an install and removes them. Would TU work along with my reg. cleaner (OK I know it doesn't monitor an install) but I am fearful of TU in case there is a conflict. I presume I would just use TU when I install now and leave the other cleaner for programs which haven't been monitored?

I don't mind registering any software if it is useful and indeed important but do not know if I should look at the free or go straight for the paid for version o_O

One very important aspect - is it easy to use and set up plus will not conflict with other software? I am very interested but am lost at which one I should be looking which will not over complicate and install (I try not to install and uninstall a lot BUT we all know there is always that time when it is necessary - been there today :rolleyes: )

I am also about to install software for my neighbour - may be a good idea to use the free version for them so I know how to completley remove if the software doesn't work on their setup.

Apologies for posting within a post :oops: I have never used software like this so am a bit lost with setiing it up and which is best o_O thanks

9. Don Pelotas

No, Robyn i don't mind at all. :cool: :)

They should compliment each other just fine, i've used a regcleaner with TU for a year or more, it takes care of the few remaining regfiles leftover after an uninstall with TU. Even TU will not always be able to uninstall everything from the registry, but it will make a complete uninstall on most programs, in my experience the difficult ones are firewalls & anti-viruses.

Even so TU has never made a mess of anything in the little over a year i've used it, and i find it to be one of the most valuable programs that i use (along with FirstDefense ISR). TU has saved the bacon for me more than once when beta-testing.

As for TU2 versus TU3, i don't think there is a big (if any) difference in terms of uninstall-performance, but GUI-wise, i like the look and feel of TU3 a lot better, plus it's faster in the scanning process. TU3 is a little easier installing as it comes pre-configured, but not something you can't do manually in 2 minuttes in TU2 anyway.

Try them both before deciding which one.

Hope this helps just a little. :)

Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  10. Robyn

Robyn Registered Member

Thanks Don :)

Your post is full of the confidence I don't have but has encouraged me to look at this program further. I will read more from the actual site but if I was going to use any then the one which is a little 'prettier' ;) would be my choice = TU3

I have a new notebook and now would be the perfect time to install it there. I know I have my security installed already but there will be other installs for me to do which would help me to gain the confidence in using it.

I will also look at TU2 as when it comes to installing a firewall + new AV for my neighbour at least this could help me out if an uninstall was needed for their computer as they do not have anything at the moment. If an install goes worng on my own computers I know I get upset but can work things out, just really worry when someone else depends on me to know everything :(

I really appreciate your help on this plus the fact TU has never 'messed up anything'. The only way I will know for sure is to download and see it for myself. Need to check if there is a trial period with TU3 to save me having to uninstall TU2 if I wanted to register it for the GUI :) thanks again.

Edit: there is no TU2 to download at the moment.

11. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

yes there is a trial period for tu 30 days.i and if i remember correctly the free version is available at majorgeeks . please search for that there..

12. Don Pelotas

13. clansman77

clansman77 Registered Member

a new version of tu commercial v3.01 has appeared on the site..also a converter of old tun files to new tun format too..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.