Tiny Firewall Pro 6.5

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by JayTee, Feb 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

It's US$99 for a licence to Tiny Firewall Pro. Probably the most expensive personal firewall I've seen so far.

2. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Ouch! Actually they say it is aimed at the security consultant market and it has user management functions built in. I would like to see how someone can get something this comprehensive and complex to work on multiple workstations. By the way, the server version of 8Signs is a wicked $199.99. A dollar is not much these days, I need to get some Euros.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I don't mind so much paying for a firewall if it's a one time charge. But nowadays there's typically an annual renewal fee also. I've actually purchased several firewalls over the past year or so, but nowadays there are so many good free ones too.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Tiny Firewall Pro 6.0 was only $49. I wonder what happened to raise it up that high? All that's changed in 6.5 is the new user interface as far as I can tell... Perhaps the $99 is for a server license or something?

5. Caratacus

Caratacus Registered Member

6. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Don't purchase Tiny Personal Firewall right now because your licence key will be for TF6 and NOT for 6.5 which is still in beta. You can download and use the beta free for 30 days but if you buy a licence key it is not for the new version it is for the old version 6. Your licence key will NOT work with the beta version and you don't get a free upgrade to the new product which is due to be released soon. Many people are complaining on Tiny's forum that they have purchased a licence key that doesn't work so beware.

7. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

They haven't updated the price on their website. There is a link in the forum which directs you to the new prices:

Tiny Personal Firewall 2005 - $49
    Tiny Personal Firewall Pro 2005 - $99.

Can't remember the prices for the server editions though.

I was actually hoping that the Pro version would cost the same as 6.0.14 and the non Pro version to be cheaper than $49. Guess they went the other way.

In terms of what has changed, the UI has. Also I think they have re-writtened software coz' surfing the web is better now than on 6.0.14 the last time I remember using it. (Just as smooth as Outpost Pro 2.5.374, and better than BlackIce 3.6). OK I took out PG 3.15 so maybe that is a reason? Tiny also uses less resources if my memory serves me correctly. Anyway, I was going to purchase the pro version until the prices came out and then OMG. Now I have 28 days to rethink my decision.

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I think $99 is pretty steep for the Pro version. They may find that people don't want to pay that much for it. Especially considering how difficult it is to learn and use anyway.. I like it a lot, but I don't like it $99 worth... :)

9. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

10. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Does anyone know offhand what the differences are between the regular and Pro versions? I think the regular version doesn't have the IDS section but I wonder what else is missing? I suppose I could try it out and see... :)

11. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You can find some links to comparisons and charts in JatTee's post/link.

Regards,

CrazyM

12. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Thanks CrazyM...

13. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

That pricing link is unofficial. If you go direct to Tiny's website you will not see any pricing for the new product only for TF6

14. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

That IS a link from Tiny's site...

15. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

Hi Kerodo

I agree that it's a link to Tiny's website but I believe that anyone going direct to Tiny's website will not see that link. If I am wrong then I would like to know where the link appears as I don't see it anywhere.

Anyways, I think they will probably release it tmorrow. The TF2005 Desktop Pro licence seems a bit pricey to me. I used TPF 5 and TPF 6 and it's a good product but this latest build is just a GUI change and it's not more secure than previous versions but syill a good product and worth looking at.

16. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'm sure there will be official prices posted as soon as it's released.

I like Tiny 6.0 a lot. I'm wondering if maybe the regular Tiny 6.5 (non-Pro) might be good enough.

17. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

The regular 6.5 is aimed at the mass market. The pro version gives User Management, IDS/IPS rules and Content Filtering. I think you maybe need to evaluate the trial versions and make your choice after you have tried out the features of both.

18. JayTee

JayTee Registered Member

Also track 'n reverse, something which I am keen on. Don't need User Management. IDS/IPS is nice to have but not necessary (behind a router - even with BlackIce installed, I find that the rules aren't triggered). Content Filtering can be achived by other means (e.g. proxomitron).

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I'd like the IDS/IPS but don't care about the User Management.. Question is, is the IDS/IPS worth an additional $50?

20. Diver

Diver Registered Member

K- for $50 you can get 4 cases of beer and have a party. Sorry if that does not answer your question. My gut reaction is that $100 for a personal or workstation firewall is too much, period. In fact, $50 is on the high end. If you really want IDS they are out there, including Snort. Free, but complicated.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree Diver.. $100 is *way* too much for a personal firewall.

For that extra $50, I could also get a router and do away with the firewall altogether... but then I'd miss out on all this fun. :)

I did look into Snort once, but it seemed over my head.. or maybe just too much work involved to set it up. I don't see many intrusions around here anyway though...

22. pjb024

pjb024 Registered Member

23. Diver

Diver Registered Member

K-

Get the router. It solves a lot of problems.

24. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Thinking of it as a firewall plus ProcessGuard ($29.95) plus RegDefend ($29.95 - assuming that Tiny does block changes to the Registry rather than just polling and undoing them) may ease the blow somewhat...

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Looks like they just released 6.5 today, finally..

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.