F-Secure

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by chaos16, Feb 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

I have just downloaded the 6 month f-secure antivirus 2005 trial.

I would like help on configure.

I have high enabled on realtime protection and it doesn't scan archieveso_O?

and were does it show the scan in realtime protectiono_O

and can u tell me the highest settings i can have step by step plso_O

2. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Hello fellow F-Secure user... I don't understand your question too good... but High security is not needed for on-access my friend... There's not point to enable archive scanning too... Just leave that upto the on-demand scanner...

If you're a noivice user just use the "Normal" settings, if you;ve quite some knowledge you can fine-tune using the "Custom" settings (wich I did)... But I don't recommend everyone to do this...

So pls just use the "Normal" settings for the on-access scanner, they provide you good protection with a good peformance...

3. chaos16

but if i have a fast computer i can leave it in high.

And something else i was looking at the 100%virusbulletin and f-secure hasen't passed so many. and i am thinking f-secure catches everything KAV,F-prot and f-secure itself catcheso_O?

And onther scanengine that i think will help f-secure could be nod32 and its updates

4. Sputnik

well, F-Secure always catches every virus used in vb100, but it sometimes has a false positive, that's why it missed some vb100 awards...

5. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Eh,it's better to have one false positive than real malware not being detected.
    Thats why i always turn everything up,even heuristics which are always set to max possible level.

6. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

See? I told you someone will help you out!

Have a nice day :)

Regards,
    Firecat

7. chaos16

8. chaos16

i know it tells u in the site but it tells u very briefly.

wat are the things that f-secure haveo_O featureso_O

does it scan httpo_O

does it have the same features that KAV antivirus have office protection etc.......

9. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

I wouldnt worry about that as a few months ago when i was interested in kaspersky i went to, i think it was download.com and kaspersky 4.5 scored abysmal results.

If it were me i would ignore those results and trust what people say here at wilders.

The thing i am curious about is how good is the firewall, is it like kaspersky antihacker (i.e not very good at all) or is it good.

If i was to install the trial of the client security 5.55 is there anyway i could just install the AV and leave off the firewall.

Thanks

10. liang_mike

liang_mike Registered Member

Yes, you can pick which components you want to install

11. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Hi Mike & Chaos 16,

I have been running Fsecure and Sygate for about a month, no real problems except I can't pass the Gibson ping test even though the advance rule is set in Sygate. I have not found that Fsecure slows down my PC on the standard settings, also the first full on demand scan I ran found a trojan hidding on C drive!

The initial program download seems to go on for ever (its a very slow server), once installed, the program updates it's self to the latest version, which is also a slow process and you begin to have second thoughts about downloading the program in the first place! But if you have the patience to wait, then everything quickly calms down, and in my case I have to say I have found no conflicts with any other software.

Since December I have also tried Trend Internet Security 11 and Avast 4.6 Beta, Fsecure is the only one that worked straight away without any tweaking!

Mike,

You can trial Fsecure Antivirus for six months here: http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/downloads/default.mspx ;)

Cheers,

Thorny

Last edited: Feb 26, 2005
  12. chaos16

i know it tells u in the site but it tells u very briefly.

wat are the things that f-secure have features

does it scan http

does it have the same features that KAV antivirus have office protection etc.......

if i download a file and it has a trojan,worms or virus does f-secure stop me from opening the file.

does f-secure scan all incoming ports etco_O?

13. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Yes F-Secure uses some power, but it is a wonderful scanner. I have never had anything caught by online scans at Trend or Bitdefender since I started using it. And most of the things it does catch are by the resident shield.

As for the reviews at download.com....there are only five, and thats not many. I would suggest that since you already have it on your PC, and it is a six month trial, that you give it a while.

And Thorny, post about your sygate problem in the firewall forum, Maybe someone could help you there.

14. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Thorny . Do you use a router ?

15. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

I suggest you forgo the firewall . It stinks !

16. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

hollywoodpc,

Yes I use a router, an Actiontec supplied by my ISP, the internal firewall is set to basic. I expect you are thinking that the router is retuning the ping, I think you are probably right as well although I don't know what setting has changed. With both Trend and Avast I used to get no ping reply, so I suppose the obvious thing to do is to uninstall Fsecure and see if it really is the problem, but it's really such a pain to reinstall. :doubt:

Mikel 108,

I did a search of the Sygate Forum but could find anything about any Fsecure problems, so as I stated above it's probably my router. o_O

17. Thorny

Thorny Registered Member

Hmm... what can I say, thick or what? :rolleyes:

Thanks hollywoodpc, the penny finally dropped, I changed the router firewall setting and now pass the ping test. :D

18. mikel108

mikel108 Registered Member

Personally, I am a little thick around the mid section, as my wife is an exellent cook.

Thorny, you had mentioned that you had failed a test previously at GRC with your sygate. I was just wondering if your Generic Host Process is set to act as a server.

19. chaos16

How bad i have been using f-secure for 2 days now and i have just noticed that there is no qurentineo_O?? :(

wat is thiso_O

i used to use KAV antivirus pro and it found 2 trojans and removed it.

and f-secure has not found anythingo_O

20. Firecat

KAV must have found and removed all trojans then how can F-Secure find? Your system is perfectly clean, KAV did it for you!

21. Jeccu

Jeccu Registered Member

Yep. You are absolutely right. There is no quarantine option in F-Secure and that is a quite big deficiency.

22. chaos16

why don't they have a quarintineo_O

23. Firecat

I really dont know...my eScan does not have a quarantine, AVK 10 did not have a quarantine...and many others dont either (possible KAV Lite 4.5 also).

24. Sputnik

A Quarintine function is useless... While files are infected 99.99% of the time desinfection is not safe... So to remove the file and replace it with the origional is the best option imho...
    But to come back at quarentine, you notices the "Rename" function in F-Secure when a virus is found? It does almost the same, but the only difference is that they're not moved to a specified directory... The rename function also makes the virus non working, so in that point they're the same...

(Non working because the extension gets changed...)

25. chaos16

i don't know why but i think i am going to change bak to KAV antivirus pro.
    Coz i don't feel very secure with f-secure i don't know why.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.