ZA or Kaspersky?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Sputnik, Feb 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Hello everybody, I know the're already many threats, but I really need some "personal advice" :p
    I got ZoneAlarm Pro and Kaspersky Anti-Hacker here... I like Kasperky because of his clean interface and the resource usage... But I can't find any good reviews about it, so I'm not sure about it's protection... Another thing is that I don't know to much about networks (configuring firewalls)...

Wich one is the best choise if you compare security/recourse usage... And wich of the two products delivers the best protection?

I already tried many many firewalls... I didn't like them, Sygate is just not secure, it let just to many basic program pass without interupting... Outpost is just a big recource hog, so is Kerio... Kerio 2.x I tried as well, but it's old already and it's outbound protection is not so good...

Pls help me out :)
    (Glad to be a member of this wonderful forum btw :) )

edit:
    About my AV, I use: McAfee Enterprise 8.0i, Avast! 4.6 or F-Secure... Still finding the best one too ;) McAfee runs on my default installation, and the other two on virtual machines :p

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

From all that i have read the kaspersky antivirus is regarded very highly but the firewall is not. It always scores one of the worst results (alongside norton) in independant firewall tests.

Where as Zone Alarm is regarded as one of the best. Outpost, look and stop and zone alarm are regarded as the three best on the market.

Hope this is some help to you
    Anthony

3. Sputnik

Thanks for your comment...
    I've been browsing around, and I saw the Pro version is loaded with things I don't use... My question is if the free version has the same security, without all the stupid cookie and ad filters? Is the free version lighter on recources tooo_O Thanks in advance for help again :)

4. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Here is a link to review of Kaspersky Anti-Hacker StyleWarz, it actually gives a pretty balenced view IMO of it.
    Of the two and with this in mind:
    Then i would personally choose Zonealarm, because it's so easy to use and the additional features is quite handy. The free version is perhaps a little less secure, resourcesvise i'm not sure, but why don't you simply try it, it's the only way you will find out how it is on your computer. For exampel on my computer Outpost run with 4-5mb use, but on yours it's a "big recource hog". ;) :)

5. Sputnik

@Don Pelotas
    Well I tried the new 2.5 outpost this afternoon, and it uses less ram too ;) The old 2.1 versions were sucking recources... But still I find it not my product, and I hear that the software is quite buggy on some points...
    I'll try ZA Pro/Free now :)

6. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Of the two, I also would pick ZoneAlarm Free. It's the same basic firewall as the Pro version, without all the extra crud that you don't really need...

7. hollywoodpc

hollywoodpc Registered Member

Hello .

If it is a choice between ZA and Anti Hacker , there is no question . Za ! The pro IS better . What some refer to as crud , others regard as nice tools to have . You want to be simple , go with the free . Want more control ? The Pro . As for Outpost 2.5 . There is none better . Some , but very few , are as good , but , NOT better . Easy to learn as well . Hope that helps anf good luck in your quest

8. Sputnik

Thanks again for your comments... I've a question regarding ZoneAlarm Free, I installed it and like it better then the overbloated Pro version... But the pro version automaticly detects my home network, do I have to add this manualy in the Zones tab?

9. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

One thing I consider "crud" in all versions is that AV Monitoring. In my opinion, that is something that just doesn't belong in a firewall. I guess some people may like some of the "features" in ZA Pro. I wish they'd just leave them all out and keep it a simple firewall product. To each his own I guess.. :)

10. Sputnik

I can agree with this, this useless functions make software bloated...

11. MushfiQ

MushfiQ Registered Member

KAH is very light IMO...uses 2 mb of my RAM in my box. But i coudnt make some rules work precisely when i enables the protection from medium to high...perhaps if any one could enlighten with the rule set.

12. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

You can manually add the LAN subnet in the Zones tab.

Regards,

CrazyM

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.