Are they back? (Ad-Aware 6.0)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jnibori, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jnibori

jnibori Registered Member

FYI -
    http://www.lavasoftsupport.com/index.php?s=3ff89051cc1900f523dcfb20667b3485&act=ST&f=1&t=2669

2. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Well....they have a job to do. To discontinue AdAware for months - putting thousands at risk - was AND IS inexcusable.

What if your home security company did that? The alarm company just shuts down to "upgrade their system," they come open your windows, assume you'll get something else to protect yourself I suppose - and just blow you off? Would you trust them again?

There are not one, two, three or four things LavaSoft has done wrong -- it is NUMEROUS poor errors in judgment regarding the execution of their product, their website, their forums, their attitude and finally - their bizarre approach to security that left paid (and non-paid) users in a lurch for months. They censored posts asking questions and stonewalled while working on the new product. It is truly unprecedented to just disappear while working on an "upgrade."

I know I risk wrath for this post, but as far as I am concerned, it is the unvarnished truth. I personally (I speak only for myself and not Wilders of course) won't touch AdAware again. I don't go back for seconds when served a poor meal with bad service with rude and unappreciative owners.

In other words, LavaSoft, you had your chance, gained the trust of many --- and blew it.

It's SpyBot, Aluria - and there's other options. As far as I am concerned LavaSoft, it takes a touch of gall to ask anybody to trust you again.

John
    Luv2BSecure

3. Checkout

Checkout Security Rhinoceros

I'm willing to give them another shot. After all, they provide a free product, and that surely doesn't put bread on their tables. I remember, over twenty years ago, inventing a security hole in IBM's flagship operating system (MVS) that stopped them talking to customers world-wide for over three months. Nothing is ever totally black and white.

4. controler

controler Guest

LTBS

Can I use that same approch to the company I work for?
    They seem to be the Microsoft of gaming but their administrators of policy seem to make
    rules as they go for us lowley workers.
    I sure hope I can :D

5. luv2bsecure

luv2bsecure Infrequent Poster

Controler: Except, in this case you are paying LavaSoft - the gaming company is paying you. I mostly directed that post on behalf of AdAware PLUS users - who DID pay money and were abandoned. It wasn't a tough choice at all for LavaSoft. Why can others work on a new version while maintaining the old - with all kinds of security products and roadblocks thrown in the way - but LavaSoft could not?

Checkout, (glad to see you back by the way) the fact that it is free applies to those who chose to use the free version. They had many PLUS subscribers. And really it doesn't matter, if somebody offered to pick you up and take you to work everyday and insisted they would do it for free, and then after a year of doing this each day didn't show up and you couldn't get to work - wouldn't you still be a little upset? The point: Don't offer something if you can't follow through on it. If you're giving up the game - throwing in the towel, that's different. But these guys were just working on a new version! Lame excuses, not being upfront, being rude to people that were TRYING to help, the list goes on and on. Those who want to give them a second chance because it has a pretty UI - great! In my opinion, they counted on people forgetting the inexcusable. Many of us remember and will choose to entrust our security to trustworthy people. Maybe this time they can possibly keep a website up and running and won't require users to look all over the net for their product and updates.

Sorry to be so rough. I don't like to be and I don't knock people for wanting to try it. But, I think it important for people we are entrusting our security -- to be trustworthy.

All the best!

John
    Luv2BSecure

6. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I'm so glad I pulled back and thought about it a little longer before I became plus user. lol But Luv you are right. I agree along with you.

7. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

Luv2bsecure.You hit the nail on the head!People were left hanging and in the meanwhile Spybot kept evolving and improving.I wish Adaware success,but I won't be going along for the ride(free or paid)!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.