Just for one moment, imagine...

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by `mishimasan`, Feb 21, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

I have no idea which category this falls into, but I guess it could be a number of different ones. So I'm just going to post it here. It's a pretty long post, but I have a project proposal to go through for my University 'dissertation-style' project, and I was wondering if the wonderful people that are so talented and knowledgeful would be so kind as to give me their feedback and opinions...

So without further ado... just for one moment, imagine...

A short-distance wireless notification service that lives in a store/high-street/mall/bus/public transport station, that can tell you about up-to-date notifications for many different things. For example, I'm sitting on a bus and I receive a message telling me that three stops ahead of me, there is a new burger bar that has a great all-you-can-eat for $4 offer. I'm walking through a mall, and I get a message on my cell phone that there's a great-reductions sale in a popular fashion outlet around the corner.

I know what you might be thinking... SPAM. The thing is, users have to download software to use the system, or enable the optional software on their mobile system before they can start receiving wireless notification messages. Moreover, the protocol could include a certain header that contains message gender (news, global news, retail offers, local recruitment + sub genders etc.), so that making filters in the software for this particular service could be extremely feasible.

Another thing you might be thinking is, "how are the clients going to receive the messages?".

It's simple - a transmitter, or a central server will provide a publicly open wireless LAN, in which users can log into the network and receive the messages at high-speed. With the speed and efficiency of wireless technology I think that it could be a reality that people receive messages whilst walking through a wireless network zone - as long as the protocol does not require too much authentication. This could be a security risk... although I'm not quite sure yet for what... Devices that are to be used with this technology will typically be PDA's, 3G Cell phones, Laptops and everything with wireless network technology installed.

One more thing that you might be thinking is... "why bother with this system if there already exists such technology as WAP, email and SMS alerts?".

Well...... let me explain. I don't know anyone that regularly uses WAP for any type of notification. Emails are not mobile enough at the moment to be accessed at the kind of speed that you want when you are walking around a high-street, and more over it's pretty hard with a laptop when you're actually mobile. What I'm talking about is instant messaging. SMS alerts are not so detailed and moreover, are not as versatile. The thing is, if you are looking for an alert from a high-street shop, the chances are the shop will not be offering SMS alerts, because SMS alerts are only really used for large companies/organisations - because it's expensive to implement and it's usually on a national scale.

The beauty of this is that, you can choose to install a transmitter in your own store that will offer only information about whatever you decided to enter into the program. However this does not have the same effect as the next option: renting out bandwidth from a public server, placed in the middle of the street, or on a bus etc. This way, the scope of people that the notifications reach increases.

This system cannot be implemented now to full effect - because not enough of the society uses the kind of technology needed to incur profitability in acceptable sizes. However, in the future, I don't see why it couldn't be possible... anyone seen Minority Report?

Now, what are the disadvantages in your opinions (and I hope that I do get replies here, because I really do want to have a good enough argument to use this topic as a feasible project title :'( ).

Sincerely,

`Mishima San`

Last edited: Feb 21, 2005
  2. Marja

Marja Honestly, I'm not a bot!!

Greetings Mishimasan,

Well, I guess the time has caught up with us. I remember reading a few sci-fi books that had a premise or had worlds where this was used.

That was about ten years ago, I didn't like it in the book, I really didn't think it would happen so soon!

To me, it still sounds very intrusive. Then there are the young people, I can see younger people eating it up! Advertisers can use all the songs they know, the looks, bring out the celebrities and bands at the malls, where it will most likely start the most intensively. They already have the captive testers every single day who will see it as a kick! Oh, those younger gens would feel instantly comfortable with the technology, they have grown up with it, this would be like a fantasy world come true.

To me, I like MY thoughts, listening to someone else's opinons, songs,too, when I want. I just don't want to be blasted with ads, commercials, all of that from AnyCorner,USA!

You can SAY it won't be intrusive unless you have the software downloaded, how long will that last - until someone sees a way to make $$.

Let's say...

Wal-Mart has the go ahead to put the radio controlled chips on everything in the store, they must de-code them as you leave the store. Someone's mommy says "I would like Jenny to do her own clothes shopping without me." Or Billy or send the dog out for his own sweater.

OK! Wal-Mart is there to serve, further on down the line - every article of ANYthing on you is scanned, flashing sales for that particular article, where when, how much, Flash! Flash! Flashing related items, or sale over items, only!

It just seems like we keep getting smarter in so many ways, and in reality, we are going to wake up someday and realize we are either stupid or brain dead - if you don't even have to make a single choice about anything!! Sure people say, I'll go back to school or find some thing to occupy my time. - in reality most won't - they will go along to get along. They will get bored and start feeling depressed probably not even knowing why!! Because they are not even needed by their own self!

We'll have the personality of whomever wrote the latest advetising prog, which will last about 6 months, before a new STAR writes another.

Less background noise, less 'auto-suggestion' by advertisers, politicians, drug companies, any one who wants your attention or to control , we need less of that with all the stresses this Modern Day has brought.

Giving over our subconscious - just seems to be a scary regression to me, a kind of passive existence, after all we are still inherently hunters and gatherers, that hasn't gone away nor have we 'grown' away from the memory that is in our genes. I don't think we have discussed or thought enough about how your scenario will change our lives.

So, I guess that is why you are here and asking?? :) It is very interesting, you could also go in so many disagreeable directions, I tried not too, but..?

You have picked a "service" - that could not be very far away, years not decades. It is certainly something to think about and imagine living in.

Yes, I will surely think on this topic whether we discuss it or not - it seems like it could change the world now like TV did back in the day.

Good Luck on your dissertation!

(This isn't necessarily a political subject, is it, LWM?? Some guidance, before I put my foot in my mouth.:D)

Marja)

3. `mishimasan`

`mishimasan` Registered Member

I wish it was political, then it would make my dissertation that much more interesting. However, I don't believe that it is.

First of all, thanks for giving your input on my post. I realise it's difficult and probably audacious subject matter to deal with in my position (there are only 8 weeks until the end of the semester), but I'll give it a shot because it sounds like I could score some serious marks.

Second, I totally agree with you. There's nothing worse than SPAM. What if... we could make this a SPAM-void technology ie. a technology that combats SPAM effectively? Remember, SPAM is referred to as the "Unsolicited "junk" e-mail sent to large numbers of people to promote products or services" - www.google.com definition. Unsolicited is the keyword, as this service would NEED your wireless device to register with a master server before it began to download messages... or maybe something a little different but allowing for the same type of authentication etc. For instance, people know that they don't want SPAM - so in order to keep the service appealing for everyone using it, they enforce these laws or rules. Obviously there will be instances where SPAM does get through, but hopefully, if the service is used enough, there will be enough motivation to make software security updates etc. (We have to remember here that there is a market for SPAM, and there is no way in hell that we are ever going to get away from it, so the only thing that we can do is to try to make more intelligent blocking software).

Thoughts please :).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.