RegDefend v1.000 Released!!!

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Jason_R0, Feb 18, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

http://www.ghostsecurity.com/index.php?page=regdefend

What is RegDefend?
    RegDefend is a kernel based registry protection system, designed to use as few resources as possible. Instead of polling the registry looking for changes, RegDefend intercepts the changes before they occur. RegDefend comes installed to protect registry autostarts and some special registry keys, custom rules can also be added.

2. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

Common RegDefend Questions

Question 1. Why do I need RegDefend when my anti-spyware/anti-virus program monitors the registry?
    Anti-virus/anti-spyware programs poll for changes. This means it is constantly using memory and the cpu even if nothing is happening to the registry. RegDefend does not use any wasteful or ineffecient methods like these other programs. It is only active when something accesses the registry in a way which it is not supposed to.

Another problem in these other programs is they they only read the registry every few seconds. This give malicious software a chance to modify the registry in a way which these programs cannot fix. This is a big security hole! However, since only a few (increasing every day) malicious programs use these techniques, the security companies don't care that much about it. These other security programs allow the malicious software to modify the registry, then try and fix it AFTER THE FACT! RegDefend stops programs BEFORE they can even access the registry which totally blocks this security hole.

Question 2. Can I add my own custom registry protection rules with RegDefend?
    Yes! RegDefend comes installed with a set of critical registry rules which will provide extra protection for your computer. If you feel the need to add custom rules, the ability is there. The registry stores a greal deal of information and being able to control it with a program like RegDefend can help prevent many different problems.

Question 3. Why is there no Windows 95/98/ME version?
    If you are running Windows 95/98/ME then you should definately consider upgrading to the latest version of Windows. These operating systems have major security flaws which cannot and will not be fixed. As such, providing a program like RegDefend for them is futile due to the way malicious software can easily circumvent the protection offered.

Question 4. I don't know much about the registry, can I still use this program?
    RegDefend can be used in multiple ways. In the easiest way of using it all you need to know how to do is install the program. Once installed and running you will only get alerts when critical events occur. You will be asked what you want to do with them, and all you need to do is click on either Allow or Block. It is as simple as that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.