SpywareGuard Update problems

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by myispnet, Feb 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. myispnet

myispnet Registered Member

Re: SpywareGuard Updates

I just installed v2.2 of spywareguard and tried to update the defs with live update, and it will not connect, at all...I have win xp pro with sp1 and zonealarm pro 4.5...with norton systemworks 2003 I checked all of them to make sure they were not stopping the connection...so thats not it.

Is there somewhere i can manually download the defs ? if not I believe you should quickly allow that on your site.

what is the problem here? anyone know?

Last edited: Feb 17, 2005
  2. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Hey myispnet....Welcome to Wilders [​IMG]

I have split your post off into a thread of it's own in order to assist you better.

You can manually update SpywareGuard via the below link

This link---> Recent problems updating SpywareGuard or accessing the website...

As for your live update problems....do you receive any kind of error message, does it just sit there starring at you or is it being blocked by Zone Alarm ?

Regards,
    Bubba

3. myispnet

myispnet Registered Member

Thanks for the quick reply...

well this is what happens:

I run live update, then click NEXT
    the next screen appears with it saying something like:
    "checking for updates"
    then while it does that, the screen sort of flickers (in a way)
    or rather the text inside the screen flickers (as if it's trying to connect),
    then the next screen appears
    saying: "Error downloading updates"

underneath that it says: "there was an error downloading updates"

underneath that it says:

"the last working definitions have been loaded from backups"

then I must click the exit button.

as far as zonealarm is concerned I double-checked it again just now,
    and it is allowing the program to access internet and it is trusted program..
    but it is not allowed to be a server...I tried it as server also and it still had problems...

4. rwaldenjr

rwaldenjr Registered Member

I have a similar problem in trying to use Live Update. The utility seems to be connecting to the servers. But, it never finds any updated definitions files. I get this message, "No updates available. You have the latest SpywareGuard definitions."

Something seems wrong. I've had the software installed for months and it's never found an update. Is there some fix or workaround I should use (other than manually updating)?

Also, how often are new definition files created? I see where you included details on how to update the 4 definition files manually. If I'm forced to perform manual updates, is there a way of determining the version number or file date of the definition files so I can be sure I'm using the latest version?

-Robert

5. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

@ myispnet:
    What type Internet connection are you using....and if it's dial-up....are you using a surfing 'accelerator' ?

@ rwaldenjr:
    The Program Version is 2.2 with Definitions Date of 1/22/04

6. Oddbod

Oddbod Guest

Hi

I stopped using Spyware guard simply forthe reason that it is never updated, now as we know spyware is constantly changing & finding others ways to infect us, but spyware guard aint bee updated for over a year now so it useless.

SpywareBlaster on the other hand is regulary updated :)

7. rwaldenjr

rwaldenjr Registered Member

I use a dial-up connection, and no web accelerator. The problem was the same when I had a DSL connection. My program version and definitions date are the same as you mention. What is the date of the latest 4 manually-updated definition files? Are the 4 definition files used for manual updating kept current?

Also, is Oddbod correct? Have updates for SpywareGuard been discontinued this past YEAR? If so, why is that? Does Lavacool consider SpywareGuard a legacy product, having been replaced by an improved product - SpywareBlaster? Why the two programs. I got the impression, when first reading this site, that the two should be used together.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.