Fedora Core3 Ext3 problem

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mkeding, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mkeding

mkeding Guest

I had TI7 and tried to clone a Fedora Core 3 drive. TI didn't like the Ext3 partition. TI8 claims to support Ext3 so I upgraded. However I have the exact problem with TI8. HELP!

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mkeding,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Please note that Fedora Core 3 is not usual Ext3. It uses new features and is diiferent from Ext3 in some cases. That is why Acronis True Image can create the image of the Fedora Core 3 partition only in sector-by-sector mode and if you clone it you won't be able to resize it as well.

Currently the full support for Fedora Core 3 system is inlcuded only into Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux (http://www.acronis.com/enterprise/products/ATISLin/).

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. fedora core 3 is "usual ext3", it just uses features that not many other distributions do, it's still part of ext3 and not a fedora fork of ext3. if you say your product works with ext3, it must support all the options!

it's a pretty lame excuse to me, i can't believe it's taken this long and we still don't have a fix - are acronis even working on it?

4. crummock

crummock Registered Member

I'd agree with the last post. I asked the same questions about imaging Fedora 3 Ext3 partitiosn weeks ago and was told it would be soon and then later was told 'don't know when' . If they've fixed it for the Linux server version then tehy clearly know how to get it to work to teh advertised spec so should add it to TI8 now !

Seems to me like they are trying to force us into using the Linux server version but no-way am I doing that at the price it is.

If they don't fix it soon I'll be looking for alternative imaging software, and if it also works for windows partitions tehn Acronis will go completely.

It's time they gave us a proper answer !

5. Fedora User

Fedora User Guest

Hello,
    I got some replies from Acronis support and an iso image to test but...

It is still not working!!!

I need FC3 support!! And I'm not the only one.......I think...........

6. tnelms

tnelms Registered Member

You are not alone. I purchased TI8 just because they "claimed" to support Linux EXT3. To say I'm disappointed is a mild understatement :mad:

7. digiclone

digiclone Registered Member

Same here...Purchased 8.0 so I could do windows and Fedora Core 3 drives. Whish it worked as advertised! :(

8. Acronis Support

Hello all,

We do apologize for the problem with Fedora Core 3. This file system support is implemented into the latest build (937) of Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server. Also it is implemeted into Acronis True Image 8.0 Server for Linux. Our Development Team is working on its implementation into Acronis True Image 8.0 and Acronis True Image 8.0 Server. We expect this to be done in the future builds.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

9. yup, it's fixed, just tried 937 corp.

10. Acronis Support

Hello interesteduser,

Yes, it is fixed in the latest build of Acronis True Image 8.0 Corporate Workstation and Acronis True Image 8.0 Enterprise Server. This is expected to be fixed in Acronis True Image 8.0 Server and Acronis True Image 8.0 soon.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

11. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

While we are waiting for the fix to TI8, will the sector by sector mode work? What are the issues and limitations of sector by sector backup?

Thanks, Pete

12. This was listed as fixed in the release updates for build 800 but I still get the same error about only being able to do a sector by sector copy.
    Any info on what is causing this or if the Fedora core 3 problem has been fixed.

13. crummock

crummock Registered Member

As someone who users the boot disk to create images of Fedora 3 partitions I can confirm that build 800 has fixed the problem. I have a 25GB patition with about 6.5 GB of data on it. This was taking about 5.5hrs to Image and was being done sector by sector so the image was about 25GB.

With build 800 the the image comes out at 4.5Gb (with compression) and took about 1 hour. Obviuosly the image is fine size wise so Acronis must have fixed the main problem but it's a shame that it still takes an hour to image 6.5GB of data. I have always found that imaging previous Fedora partitions takes this length of time whereas windows partitions are much faster.

14. Acronis Support

Hello Jonathan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please make sure you have installed the latest build and if you are trying to create the image using Acronis Bootable CD please make sure you have created new CD with the latest build.

If the problem persists please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send to support@acronis.com along with the link to this thread. We will help you with the solution.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

15. Actually when I create the image it seems to only create the correct size image but I still get a message saying the disk has errors and the image will have to be made sector by sector although it doesn't actual seem to do a sector by sector copy.

I am using Build 800.

16. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

On my dual boot machine, running TI8 build 800 from within XP I backed up my Linux / and /home directories in 9 minutes. My / directory is 9.762 gB with 5.174 gB of data and my /home directory is 25.65 gB with 0.76 gB of data for a total of 5.934 gB of data. The image size is 2.576 gB.

Pete

17. I am still presented with the dialog when doing a create image of my drive from the linux box using a retore cd. I am trying to copy the entire drive which has only FC3 installed. If I select yes when asked if I want to continue with a sector by sector copy of the 40GB drive it says that it will take about 3.77 GB space for the images. And it generates 8 650MB image files which verify, but I still have issues recovering from them and am very worried about the remaining error message. Any ideras on what I could be doing different or wrong and how to fix this.

-Jonathan

18. ptbrunet

ptbrunet Guest

Does Acronis Disk Director understand FC3 partitions? I currently have Partition Magic v8.01 but when I run it I get this message:

PowerQuest PartitionMagic has detected an error 116 on the partition starting at sector 77837760 on disk 1.

The starting LBA value is 77837760 and the CHS value is 15483824.
    The LBA and CHS values must be equal.
    PowerQuest PartitionMagic has verified that the LBA value is correct and can fix the CHS value.

Would youlike PowerQuest Partition Magic to fix this error?

I always answer no since I am sure PM is confused. Maybe it's time to switch to DD. I notice that PM 8.01 is about 2 years old now and there is no way to get fixes like Acronis provides.

Pete

19. Acronis Support

Hello Jonathan and Pete,

To let us investigate the problem thoroughly could you please create Acronis Report (please see https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=55317 for the instructions) and send it to support@acronis.com along with the screenshots of your actions in wizard. Acronis Support Team will certainly help you with the solution.

As for Acronis Disk Director Suite 9.0, it does support Fedora Core 3 since the build 534.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.