Unable to acces shared network drive after True Image Install

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by werzeri, Feb 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. werzeri

werzeri Registered Member

Hi,

I have two home computers networked in a XP-SP2 workgroup (i.e. belong to the same subnet).

Obviously I can network-share those drives from each other remotely.

I now want to create the image of one computer hdd and store it the remote one where I have a second hdd installed.

For that purpose, I install TI8.0 latest build.

...And I now become mad...

Since TI installation, I am no more able to browse my remote HDD:
    => network browser complains about remote drive not beeing accesible because memory exhausted reason on remote computer.(Sorry the XP error message is in French so I translated it into something meaningfull to you).

By just (no other tweak) uninstall TI from ControlPanel Add/Remove Programs, I was able to restore network browsing and access to my remote drive.

By just re-install TI, network browsing gone again...

Sounds to me TI interacts with XP workgroup basic networking capabilities.

I will really appreciate you help & advices about this behavior which do not allow me to take benefit of Acronis TruImage claimed network support.

Best regards

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello werzeri,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

Could you please do the following?

- Run "regedit" command;
    - Find the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\lanmanserver\parameters registry key;
    - Increase the IRPStackSize value or create it and set to 18, if it does not exist.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. YaBeCuz

YaBeCuz Registered Member

I encountered the identical situation after installing ATI 8.0 in a shared drive/workgroup environment -- increasing the IRPStackSize corrected the problem immediately (I found the solution in the Microsoft KB by searching on the error message produced in the dialog box).

So, as Ilya stated, change the IRPStackSize (on any computer providing shared drives to the workgroup) and you'll be good-to-go! :D

4. werzeri

werzeri Registered Member

great it did it: now able to browse again !

However I had to set it to a greater value. For now I did not try to get to the lowest optimal value but just put max allowed under XP (50 indeed).

BTW: How does IRPStackSize relates to True Image ? Some clue would help understand what the root cause was and why increasing IRPStacksize solved my problem

Again thanks to all your help

5. YaBeCuz

YaBeCuz Registered Member

I suspect that it's related to the introduction of a device driver by ATI for control of the disk I/O (snapman.sys). Device drivers generate I/O requests, and if the IRPStackSize (I/O Request Package Stack Size) value in the Registry is set too low, Windows NT/2000/XP will be unable to process logon/network access requests. It is too busy handling the I/O requests generated by the local device drivers.

But, only Acronis can adequately detail exactly what their application is doing related to this particular device driver of theirs...

6. Hale58

Hale58 Guest

Had similiar problem after cloning drive, had to reverte back to an older registry to get network drives to work. Will installing TI8 again cause the same problem without first tweaking the present registry? Worked on other two peer-peer computers on network at home, cannot understand why?

7. Acronis Support

Hello Hale58,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

New installation of Acronis True Image may (but not certainly will) result in the same problem but the solution remains the same. For some reason this issue may appear on one system and not appear on another one. If you get any further questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

8. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

In some cases, but not all, the need to increase the IRPStackSize occurs on systems that have Norton Antivirus installed. That's where I've run into this. In all cases increasing the IRPStackSize fixed the problem.

9. PeteK

PeteK Registered Member

Glad someone else found the problem, and the solution, first!! I have just had exactly the same problem. I could browse files via my LAN in CD-drives or Iomega ZIP drive attached to my main PC, but not those on fixed HDDs.

Adding the IRPStackSize key has cured the problem. (I do have Norton Antivirus installed).

10. nwyllie

nwyllie Registered Member

OK, I'm sure I can check this out myself but after the registry change is a re-boot required? I can't check it out for a few hours as I have a HUGH copy of the image file being done to my network server and can't re-boot right now. I made the registry change but the problem still persists.

Thanks.

11. PeteK

PeteK Registered Member

Any Registry change always needs a reboot for it to be effective.

12. nwyllie

nwyllie Registered Member

Thanks PeteK. I suspected that but wasn't 100% sure.

13. MiniMax

MiniMax Registered Member

Not 100% true. It depends on how/when the key is used. E.g. if you have Internet Explorer running, change an IE setting in the registry, and then restart IE, the change will be effective. But I agree, that the IRPStackSize parameter is probably read by some driver during boot only, so in this case a reboot is required.

14. RUSS32

RUSS32 Registered Member

Hello! i have 3 comp running win 98 2nd edition on a network. comp 2 holds the network backup drive. all comp see each others drives. backed up comp 2 with network drive with no problem. problem is when trying to backup comp 1 and 3 to comp 2 network drive, TI 8 see's network drive as a folder ( i think ) and so it reads ( \\work\d network bu\MyBackup.tib ) not valid path. i think if it seen it as a drive instead of a folder, it would work. any suggestions please!!!

15. Acronis Support

Hello RUSS32,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Disk Backup Software.

Please create the screenshots of your actions when you try to backup yout computer 1 or 3 to computer 2 and the screenshot of the error you get and send these screenshots to support@acronis.com along with the description of your problem. It will allow us to investigate the problem.

Thank you.
    --
    Irina Shirokova

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.