more info needed.

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by attila4000, Feb 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

im interested in processguard but i would like to know more about the software before i install it on my computer. i dont have another computer to use for testing purposes so im cautious about installing any new software unless it is necessary.

i have administrative and limited user accounts on my windows xp pro computer. the limited user accounts are used when connected to the internet.

does the application protection tab options apply to a single user account or to all accounts globally whether its a limited or an adminstrative account? do limited user accounts have any abilty to set their own preferences for processguard, or is that only an admin priviledge?

does processguard stop worms from sending out infected emails to everybody in your address book?

2. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Hi attila4000,

Welcome to Wilders. I'll take a shot at this for you and someone can add (or subtract) as needed. When you login to your restricted account, you may get a warning that pgaccount.exe is not running. The warning is incorrect (generally) so just acknowledge it. You can verify from taskmgr that pgaccount is running. The next thing you'll notice is that the tray icon for ProcessGuard (PG) is absent. That means procguard.exe (PG's user interface) is not running. By default, it only starts automatically for the account that installed PG. To interact with PG from your restricted account, you must start procguard.exe "runas" Administrator. Otherwise, it will hang on status: "Initializing."

To sucessfully start procguard.exe from your user account, create a shortcut with the "Run as different user" box checked and a target of:
    (assuming the default installation directory). When you click on the shortcut, you'll be prompted for the name and password of the account from which to run procguard. Enter the name/pwd of you Admin account. The PG icon should soon be in your tray. If you remove "-minimize" from the shortcut's target PG's screen will display at startup.

PG will protect you without procguard.exe running. You will get the balloon alerts when it blocks something (assuming Windows has them enabled) but you won't see PG's tray icon.

PG's settings are shared by all users. I don't think anything can be set on a per user basis. As long as procguard.exe is running with Admin privileges, you can tweak PG's settings from within any user account. The settings are stored in the \Windows\system32 directory in the files pghash.dat and pguard.dat.

Hope this helps...

3. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Jason,

I didn't find a "ProcessGuard with Multiple Users" section under Help. Unless I just missed this information elsewhere, it might be a helpful addition.

4. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Great stuff Earth1, I think that you have just about written it! :D

5. attila4000

attila4000 Registered Member

thanks earth1 for the info. i just read your post today because i was not online yesterday.

6. squash

squash Registered Member

I use Process Guard under an XP limited account, and I found that that in the limited account only the engine loads but the gui (in the admin account, both loads). I got the gui to also load, by using the following:

!COPY CONTENTS BELOW AND SAVE AS .REG!

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run]
    "!1_ProcessGuard_Startup"="\"C:\\Program Files\\ProcessGuard\\procguard.exe\" -minimize"

7. earth1

earth1 Registered Member

Hi squash,

I tried this, and PG's gui does load, but when I log in to my restricted account the gui is not functional. It hangs up with only the Main tab available and the "ProcessGuard Status" message is "Error in iniitialization. Check dcsuserprot.exe". The HKLM\...\Run entry should yield exactly the same result that you'd get if you omitted checking "Run as different user" when using the "shortcut" method (post #2). At least that's what I'm getting.

8. sarkar112

sarkar112 Guest

Same here

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.