How to backup?

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by JerryM, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I realize that I can back up a file one at a time, but is there a way to copy or tell the program to back up the whole c drive or all the program files for instance?

It would be a daunting task to back up the files or programs one at a time.
    Thanks,
    Jerry

Last edited: Feb 6, 2005
  2. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Hi JerryM, are you talking about Imaging, or Data backup? As you can't backup a program, you have to reinstall programs.

For Imaging, Wilders hosts the Official Acronis Forum which has True Image 8.0 that will make a exact image of your system.

www.karenware.com has a program called Replicator that will back your data up from one drive to another, or across a network at scheduled intervals.

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

3. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Blackspear,
    Thanks. I am thinking about data. I hear folks talk about their computers crashing and that they lost all their data. I just wondered how one would save their data except by saving each folder.

I have TaxAct that I used in 02 and 03 and will use this year. It is not difficult to copy those to a disk or thumb drive. But businesses which have tons of data would find that method impossible it would seem to me, unless they backed up each program or file when they made it.

I don't understand what "making an image" of a system means.

Jerry

4. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

5. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks again. Maybe I will get this stuff down in time - if I have the time. :D

Are there any risks associated with using either of the programs? I don't see how they would damage the files or anything in other programs.

Jerry

7. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Not to my knowledge. ;)

Personally, i'm thinking of purchasing an external HDD to back up my system. I just have to decide which brand names are good and which ones are not. ;) :D

snowbound

8. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Which program will you use to do the back up?

I noticed on the Acronis forum that there seems to be problems when using a USB 2 port device. Would CDs be better? I can see the problem with the number of CDs required as compared with an external HD.

Jerry

Last edited: Feb 7, 2005
  9. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Hi Jerry,
    I've got an external HDD which I use to 'backup' my sytem via Norton Ghost. Now this means that my OS, programs and data are copied (Ghosted) as is, to this external drive (this is the 'image'). In the event of a problem, it takes me 20 mins to ghost back to my internal HD....effectively 'going back in time' to the last point that I backed up. I can't comment on Acronis, but I have 'Ghost' on 2 floppy disks which I boot the machine from. The Ext HDD cost me under AUD $200, which I consider excellent value. I couldn't imagine copying my GB's of data/apps onto individual CD's as a method of backup. I make weekly backups to this external drive, so at worst, I may lose a weeks worth of work in the event of having to 'ghost' back to my system. In fact, I used it only last week or so after suffering a niggling (minor) problem with MSN Messenger starting and annoying me (I'm a bit neurotic! :D ).
    HTH,
    Buck.

10. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Hi Buck,

I am not very smart re computers, and that 'aint all. How is your external HD connected to your PC. I assume it is by USB 2.0 Port. I am interested in view of the comments on the Acronis forum that using devices connected to the USB ports is sometimes corrupted.

Since you did not mention any problems, I assume that you have not had any with Ghost.

On my new computer I only have a little over 9 GB on it. About 2 GB are Bible programs that I have the CDs for and would not be a problem if my HD crashed. Can you selectively back up or is that too time consuming?

Thanks for the help.

Jerry

11. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

G'Day, We've probably answered this on your other thread :doubt: , but I mainly use the Firewire to backup. I do a full 'image' via Ghost (never a prob). 20Gb takes about 25mins to Ghost. I wouldn't really bother about selectively backing up. If I want something I've lost or deleted I can still find it on my ext. drive or I can fully Ghost back when things go awry. :D
    HTH,
    Brad.

12. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Brad,
    Thanks for the help. I like the idea of being able to back up selectively, but realistically there isn't a great advantage with no more data than I have.

Have a good day, and thanks again for your patience.

Jerry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.