avg 7 or avast

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by mantra, Feb 6, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mantra

mantra Registered Member

Hi mates
    for u who is the best av?

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi mantra,

For me, the avast! is much better than AVG...

Better detection, support, features, resources, configuration...

But it's better try them and see what it's best for you and your system... ;)

Regards

3. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

mantra,

I also agree, avast! is far better than avg with better detection, support and e-mail scanner....

You might as well try both out. If AVG seems better, use it and back it up with a free On-Demand scanner such as BitDefender Free 7.2

Regards,
    Firecat

4. TAP

TAP Registered Member

When avast! has released its beta 4.6 with many useful features and plus some good-optimized aspect, so I must say that for me avast! is far better and better than AVG.

For me, even avast! Home Edition (free) is better than some paid AVs. :)

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yep TAP, the new avast! incoming version will be a good improvement in majors aspects... ;)

6. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

I love Avast but they do not tend to do well on Jotti whenever I submit something. I still prefer it to AVG though.

The surprise for me (in the free market) has been AntiVir who's detection rates seem to be getting better and better. We will see if the upcoming avcomp tests confirm this.

If I had to go FREE I would have AntiVir & Avast together with Bit defender FREE as a back up on demand scanner.

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Avast clearly is winning here. I do not use or have never used Avast. I am watching this 4.6 and will wait for opinions when it comes out. Earlier I think in the beta didn't it have a now fixed problem with Out Post FW which I use. Maybe some one can confirm this. Any way I quote Firecat because he stated exactly what I do. AVG FE primary resident scanning all files, with BitDefender Free doing a weekly on demand scan. That's my current set up on my compaq machine. :) Sorry do not know "best".

8. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I've used both and think Avast! is the best of the two by far.

Try both for yourself :)

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I will throw in my three cents worth also and give Avast my vote.

bigc

10. JimF

JimF Registered Member

I have both on two different PCs. Avast! appears to be better, especially with the new Web Shield in the Beta version. It updates virus definitions with no server problems that are sometimes encountered on AVG. Having said that, I think AVG7 has come a long way and is very nice too. How they really do in real-world tests I have to leave to the experts. I run Win2K/XP in limited user accounts, and have never gotten a virus, trojan, worm, etc. in all my 10 years on the Internet, so it is somewhat theoretical for me.

11. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Very Good Track Record....it certainly says something about your surfing habits as well. ;)

12. TAP

TAP Registered Member

I think that's because avast! tends to deliberately ignore most (if not all) common spyware/adware and for some malware if they tend to benign or have no significant sign that they really are circulating in the real world so avast! ignores them. But I believe ALWIL team really knows what they do for their users, they want to emphasize to what really causes danger to users. IMHO

For example, P2P-Worm.Win32.Delf.ad that rarely circulates in the real world it tends to be kind of Zoo malware.

I sent this P2P-Worm sample to AVG and avast! lab long time ago (before December 2004, I think) AVG detects this worm about 17-18 January 2005 but avast! still doesn't include this worm into its database.

But when Web Shield has implemented in beta 4.6 so I hardly believe that avast! will be greatly improved at spyware/adware detection.

Attached Files:

13. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

It's a kazza P2P worm - so for me it is in the wild.

Thats a poor show from Avast. :mad:

14. Slovak

Slovak Registered Member

I have used both myself, and really don't have a problem with either, but I keep coming back to Avast, so Avast gets my vote.

15. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Anyone who still use Kazaa or any its derivates in these days is sorry to say a moron.
    Kazaa is nothing else than concentrated place of worms and trojans.
    And data that should be usable is just a corrupted garbage (manly due to Kazaa's poor hashing methods and lack of corruption prevention algorithms).
    It's really hard to get P2P worm except if you're looking for brand new pirated game with download filesize of 513KB :rolleyes:

16. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

That's no reason for them not to detect it.

17. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

But it is the reason to put it in the last priority place...

18. mantra

mantra Registered Member

umm thanks

really
    but by way compare avast and nod32 ,is impossible??
    is so good nod32?

19. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

The NOD32 have the best heuristics on the market and use less resources than avast!.

20. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

It's pretty much clear about heuristics which are superior in NOD32,but we could say one or two about resources. With new avast! 4.6 beta resources are much lower than with NOD32. AT least on my rig.

21. Ianb

Ianb Registered Member

22. shlink

shlink Guest

Easy answer..................Avast.

23. TAP

TAP Registered Member

There're almost no differences between avast! beta 4.6, AVG 7 and NOD32 when it comes to delay or slowdown in real-time scanning on my laptop, avast! beta 4.6 is probably faster than ever before.

24. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

Another vote for avast! Live update works very good. And the updates are small.

25. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Live update is Norton's update mechanism :p
    avast! uses its own (better) iAVS mechanism :p

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.