Getting rid of what I've already gotten rid of

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by steverope, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverope

steverope Registered Member

o_O o_O o_O Thanks, I am wondering about how to wipe the data that is still stored after I have deleted it, I ran a program called tuneup utilities 2004, which is pretty darn useful to add, but the it shows me a whole pile of deleted data and files, and offers tha ability to restore the data, but not to get rid of it.......I mean, damn, I deleted it from the recycle bin for a reason, and some of it is recordings that are not meant to be released, or I can get major crap for still having them.......any suggestions for getting rid of the stuff I've already deleted? Thanks Fr Steve o_O o_O o_O

2. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

3. steverope

Will it get rid of those reams of data I just never knew existed, the description seems like it will get rid of accesable things, but I want to delete the stuff that I never knew windows kept ahold of........thanks, let me know b4 install. Fr Steve

4. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

you might want to look at this

Attached Files:

6. steverope

Wow you folks work fast.....thanks. I just want to get rid of the stuff I can still see. Thanks for the suggestions. Fr Steve

7. steverope

Re: Getting rid of what I've already gotten rid of an enlightenment

OK......something just sprung into my mind, don't critique me for it and tell me if I got it straight........the items I've deleted from my recycle bin are for all intents and purposes"free disk space" to be overwritten when space is needed, so they aren't using up disk space, it's just that they have yet to be overwritten.....Is my logic correct, and if so, I feel much better. Thanks.

8. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

your logic is correct ;) as it is stated in post #5

9. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

If you use Eraser, you can overwrite the data therein as many times as you desire rendering it unreadable. It will be free space.

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

Re: Getting rid of what I've already gotten rid of an enlightenment

You are fairly well correct, basically the pointers to the files are removed, the data remains on the disk until over-written, a program such as Eraser overwrites any free space multiple times to make recovery virtually impossible...

Hope this helps...

Cheers :D

11. steverope

Thanks everyone, you do truely learn something new everyday, Thanks for all the tips and info, this forum is CLASS. Period. I shall go forward and encrypt the sensitive and overwrite the "top secret" :) . Fr Steve

12. divedog

divedog Registered Member

I like Kremlin http://www.kremlinencrypt.com/ it’s an awesome encryption tool and will wipe all free space including all physical memory and file space between the end of the file and the end of the cluster. They have a trial version, Just don’t click complete wipe, it will delete all files and free space. I use through wipe.

13. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I use Kremlin also. Written by a high school student some years ago.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.