Splitting up Archive

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by mdavila, Jan 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mdavila

mdavila Registered Member

Why is it hat DVD is not a selection when i am setting up to split the image. When i attempt to manually adjust the size to be 4.5 GIG the image that is created is about 50,000 1KB files. Am i doing something wrong?

2. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello mdavila,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

Please accept our apologies for your inconvenience.

It seems that you do not indicate the units when input the size for the image file. Please note that to split an image into 4,5Gb files you need to input "4,5 Gb" (without qutation marks) rather than "4,5".

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

3. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ilya,

I take it you meant 4(point)5GB not 4(comma)5GB?

Anyway, changing the subject slightly, I advised Acronis Support some months back that there was an error in the Acronis True Image Online FAQ. It was with regards to manually splitting an image at 2GB when using the alternative, two-step, method to burn an image to an ISO 9660 DVD. If users follow this advice then Nero pops up an error message stating that the files to be written exceeds the 2GB max file size for an ISO DVD. This is still the case for TI 8 Build 791.

I believe the reason for this is that the Nero calculates 2GB at 1024 Bytes to the Kilobyte, 1024 Kilobytes to the Megabyte and 1000 Megabytes to a Gigabytes (i.e. 2,097,152,000 bytes in total for 2GB). Windows (and therefore True Image), on the other hand, uses a multiplier of 1024 throughout to calculate 2GB and thereby ends up with a total of 2,147,483,648 bytes.

In order to stay within the ISO 2GB file size limit, the Acronis Online FAQ requires amending such that it advises users to manually set the split file size to 2000MB (approximately 1.953GB in Windows/Acronis speak) rather than 2GB.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  4. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for your remark. Of course, I ment 4.5Gb, not 4,5Gb.

As for the discrapency, it is more likely that the bug (if it exists) is in Nero software rather in Acronis True Image because if you set the file size at 2Gb you should obtain 2Gb parts and not something that is near this size.

If you tell us the full version of Nero we will try to reproduce the error in our Testing Lab and make the necessary improvements to our FAQ section in irder to help customers to overcome the difficulty.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

5. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Ilya,

Not too sure whether it's a bug in Windows, True Image or Nero. Perhaps Nero is merely interpreting the ISO 9660 Standard correctly? I guess it all comes down to the question of what's the correct definition for a giga byte when burning to an ISO 9660 (Level 1) DVD ROM.

I'm using the latest version of Nero 6 Reloaded (V 6.6.0.5).

Regards

6. Acronis Support

Hello Menorcaman,

Thank you for the information. I have given it to our Testing Department and the changes in our FAQ will be made if necessary.

Agree with you. But if there is some problem it should be described in our documentation that is why I asked you for the info.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.