Extendia antivirus slowing application start

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by steverope, Jan 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. steverope

steverope Registered Member

Hi, I just installed extendia antivirus, and it is a great AV program, except that it seems to slow down my application start up times, by about 5 seconds, if anyone else is experiencing this pls let me know if this is normal. Also, windows xp security center doesn't recognize the AV program......is this normal as well? one other thing is that my outlook mail does not show extendia settings in the options, how can I remedy this, or is this normal as well. It seems odd, because with norton I was showing 240mb of memeory use, but with extendia only 175mb, you would think this would speed things up. I must say though that it captured 4 virus that trend, mcafee and norton missed. post a reply and let me know if you havehad similar results

2. solarpowered candle

solarpowered candle Registered Member

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  3. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

This is definitely not normal. I wish all AV's slowed down startup times ONLY by this amount!!!!! Did you mean minutes or do you want instantaneous bootup?

4. .....

..... Registered Member

Blackcat i think they mean application startup NOT system startup as i belive you meant.

@steverope, what spec is your system? Have you tried just using a single engine.... does that speed up app launching?

5. Blackcat

....., thanks for pointing that out. I will put my glasses on next time!

I presumed that steverope meant the single-engined AVK as he did not mention pro ( the double-engined AV ).

If you are running the double-engined AVK as your primary scanner on a relatively older computer without a lot of memory, this slow application start time will be a consequence of the double-engined Monitor, if you are running default settings. If you switch to the RAV-engine only as the on-access Monitor then performance should speed up.

I have some more tweaks for eXtendia AVK Pro but SPC is our resident expert on the single-engined version.

Steverope, which version of AVK do you have? And it would also help if we know what else is running with your AV at anyone time and the spec of your computer.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  6. steverope

Hi, wow thanks for the replys, I am running a laptop with a P4ht, 1gb ram, 128 mb ati vid, 60 gb HD and I use the extendia pro that has the dual engine AV.......I have tried using the single engine, and yes it does speed things up considerably, What I most wonder about is that I have a fast(relatively) computer with tons of ram, but there is still about a 6 second wait when starting applications(using both engines) is this acceptable? With the kav engine only, it takes about 3 sec. With the rav engine only 3 sec. do these times seem reasonable? I thought that this program would be speedy, because with norton AV I show 230 mb ram being used at start up(monitoring only) and with extendia pro I show significantly less.....175-180mb at start up(monitoring only not scanning) With the extendia AV disabled I get instant program start. The other thing is the e-mail recognition, I tried what was suggested, but it still shows no tab in outlook options. I am however showing outlook in the pop3 box in the extendia email monitor box, any other suggestions would be appreciated. On the plus side, extendia (both engines full protection) takes only 65 mins to do a ful scan of 40gb of data on my hard drive, compaired to Norton taking 2h45m. Anyy feedback is very much appreciated, and this fourm is the best, very proffesional and knowlegeable. Thanks, Steven

7. steverope

Re: Extendia antivirus pro email

Hi, to clarify things, I am getting e-mail protection for outlook, its just that it is not the specific outlook coverage, it is in the "other pop3" account box, therefore I do not have an extendia AV tab in my outlook options, for fine tuning the mail options for the AV. Pls let me know if this is normal and/or a fix, as well as the other post I placed. Thanks, Steven

8. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

9. Blackcat

Possible suggestions you may try, preferably in this order;

Quick tweaks you may try with the single-engines;

1. Turn off 'Packed files/email archives/system area when changing media' in the Real Time Monitor settings. Turn on 'Automatic type recognition'.

However, the fact that you are still seeing a slow-down using just the RAV-engine suggests to me that it is not just a question of tweaking some settings.

This is because the RAV-engine should run extremely light as it sticks only 2 processes in memory for a total of 2324K Virtual Memory.

2. I see you mentioned NAV as your previous AV. You have uninstalled this and not simply disabled its Monitor?

3. If you have uninstalled NAV, you need to make sure that you have completely removed as much of it as possible. After the normal program uninstall, a specific Symantec removal tool is used, then you can use a good registry cleaner to remove any debris which is left.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=49094&highlight=Norton Antivirus
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=58163&highlight=Norton AntiVirus

4. There may be some sort of conflict between AVK and your software/hardware combinations. You should try and disable, one at a time, any programs in the sytem tray that are running with AVK; for example your firewall, and see whether these are causing the slow down.

5. Try an uninstall and a fresh install of extendia AVK Pro. But if you uninstall this AV, it 'phones home' and therefore block this attempt with your firewall, otherwise you will need another activation code for the program!

A long thread on eXtendia AVK here; https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=33597&page=5&pp=25

Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  10. steverope

:D Wow and super WOW you folks are fantastic, where were you all my life :D Thanks for the info, and I'm gonna give these a try.....I'll keep you posted.......Steve

11. steverope

Re: Extendia antivirus slowing application start....dll's

Hi, I uninstalled NAV previously, and the cntrl pnl uninstall worked fine, so I just instal and used tweak now Regclean and got 3 unknown values....can someone tell me if I should delete them ..deskpan.dll, fde.dll , CaPlgin.ax

any help is much appreciated, Thanks, steve

12. Blackcat

Hi Steve,

I would leave these files alone, particularly dll ones, as they may, or may not, be important system files.

You have to be careful with any Registry Cleaner and always make a backup before accepting any changes to be made.

Any update on the slow application startups?

13. steverope

Oh yeh, things are going soooooo smooth and this box is locked solid.....my startups with the reinstall of extendia pro are about 2 sec with both engines running, from the reasearch I've been doing on AV programs, The extendia seems like a damn good program. I'm using Spybot, adaware, spyware blaster, Micrsft antispyware and spyware doctor, extendia AV pro, Extendia security tools(firewall, traffic monitor, and cleaner only)........is this setup ok or is there anything else out there thats worth having? by the way thanks for the help everyone, and as a payback I'm doing free exorcisms on anyone's box. Fr. Steve

14. steverope

Update.......back to 5-7 second start of programs........hmmmm.....what can I do, It's stll slow even on KAV 3-5 sec, RAV 2-3 sec and both engines 5-7 sec......tried with all combo's of options, stll similar results....will I have to live with this, as it only seems to be affecting start up program times and auto menu prompts. I've read all the threads on this and people say that their aplication start times are slowed, but I wonder if it is to this extent? Fr Steve

15. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

Honestly Steve nothing, well one tedious task, you can go into the windows folder and then Program files folder run depends on each .exe and use the exclude funtion of the Real time monitor. If you want to see what the results will be exlude a program files folder and run that app. the reason don't just do the whole folder is this is where most virii like to hide, so having a known list is a good thing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.