Simple Internet access Application Control - Jammer

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by iwod, Jan 22, 2005.

?

Are you insterest in Such Firewall?

1. Yes

45.0%
  2. No

25.0%
  3. Would like to see it first.

30.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Some wouldn't even call it a firewal. But i see there is some demand.

Shown by quite a few post.

Littele Snitch

I had open another topic asking this 2 weeks ago. But it was a bit off topic so i decide to start this one.

I think after searching for nearly 2 month i finally find my perfect Firewall. Jammer. BUT it doesn't work on XP!! :mad:

See? A lot of people are already behind Firewall / Routers. And Most of them only need a Simple Application control. Telling them " xxxxx.exe is trying to acces internet." Allow of deny. Simple!. But most firewall comes in All in one soloution and the market is lacking these simple things.

Zonealarm Free 4.5 was very close but it was a resource Hog ( ~15 Mb Ram? ) Compare to WHat i heard 2Mb for Jammer.

I really Hope Agnitum could pick up and resurrect Jammer. ( Although in reality Jammer never died and it is still being sold >_< )

P.S - Just out of a matter of interest, How is interested in such a firewall.?

2. no13

no13 Retired Major Resident Nutcase

Armor2Net is an "as good as possible" alternate choice.
    But 29$ is too steep I think. [check the new news at their site]
    www.armor2net.com

3. Hi, yes indeed it would be very useful, so that we can use it with firewalls that dones´t have such an option. I have been looking for one like this but I have never found it.
    If you ever see something like that post it please.

4. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yes, that would be highly useful for anyone running VisNetic, 8Signs or CHX-I, all of which have no app control at all. I am really surprised that nobody has created such a program yet.. but then again, most firewalls already have app control.

5. no13

6. no13

http://www.alertwall.com/

http://www.stompsoft.com/firewallxtreme.html

http://www.download.com/eXtendia-Firewall-Megapak/3000-10435_4-10335568.html

there's more @ http://www.download.com/sort/3150-10435_4-0-1-4.html?
    Have fun gang

7. no13

8. no13

9. Jimbob1989

Jimbob1989 Registered Member

A usefull tool, and it is difficult to get past a router firewall.. but not impossible.

Jimbob

10. iwod

iwod Registered Member

@no13,

Well i try pretty much all of them. None of them fits in. Even some does, they don't count in as being low resources............><

11. no13

Tried Armor2Net yet?
    Or how about a-wall from x-wall series of Sphinx Soft [sphinx-soft.com/company/x-talk.html]
    a-wall is ONLY BASIC app control [mucked up my proxomitron config]
    s-,e-,c-wall contain more stuff... the "content filter" is simply a rehashed build of Proxomitron ;) with a poor GUI, and filters are VERY strict.

12. no13

BTW
    kerio v2.1.5 is a DAMN good packet filter that supports basic app control [I promise you'll like it]... I used to use it ONLY for basic app control.
    Kerio 4 [limited/free version] ALSO has APP CONTROL [incl. spawning control]
    only very slightly heavier on resources than v2... content filter and "syslog" available in the PRO version. http://www.kerio.com/kpf_comparison_version.html

Freeware APP control firewalls.
    names only. figure out the links for yourself ;)
    Bartware firewall v2 [simple, can't be sure how good it is]
    Kerio v2
    Kerio v4
    a-wall [x-wall series]
    Omniquad Personal firewall

therefore, no support except in forums.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  13. no13

14. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

Nice No13 :thumbsup

15. no13

Edit link not visible...
    so here's update.

Wyvernworks' Firewall 2004: free, app control, blocks certain attacks, poor UI.

16. nameless

nameless Registered Member

Why do people always create polls with pre-constructed responses that aren't mutually exclusive? My answer is "Yes", but of course, I also "Would like to see it first". You may as well have the poll:

Do you like having oxygen available for breathing?

* No
    * Yes
    * Yes, I need it to live
    * Yes, I breathe it

17. nameless

Piece of garbage. I installed it on a clean WinXP machine, and it failed several of the leak tests I tested it against. (I stopped paying attention after the first 6 or so failures.)

18. Diver

Diver Guest

has anyone around here used a-wall or Securepoint?

I tried Wyvernworks and it did not pass Shields-Up on multiple ports.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I tried Securepoint and got some weird things going on. When I did a scan at grc.com, it showed everything stealth EXCEPT Port 0 and 1. I could make a rule to block port 1 and then it stealthed it, but if I tried blocking port 0 then nothing would work at all.. i.e., no browsing and so on. Weird... Maybe somebody else understands that one..

Also, when it popped up a box to allow/deny something, after a few times it showed the ports from the previous popup and not the current ports. Rather annoying and useless..

It also didn't work with Avast AV, which I used to use. Avast creates a temporary file when it executes to check for updates, then deletes itself after it's done. So when Securepoint checked for it's existence later, it kept deleting the rule for Avast, thinking that Avast didn't exist anymore. That obviously was annoying, having to ok Avast every 4 hours. No good.

Just a few weird things I remember... :)

20. Diver

Diver Guest

k-

Seems like there is no free lunch, except possibly Kerio 2.15. By the way, what AV does the consumate firewall guru use now?

(I assume you have read the latest about Jetico 1.51 and the tray activity indicator) One of these days I will get brave enough to try Tiny 6.

21. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I've been trying all kinds of stuff here lately.. I used Avast for quite some time and liked it a lot, but with recent releases I started noticing error messages in my Event Viewer so I switched to AVG for a while. AVG seems fine, although it uses a fair amount of ram. But I like it.

Believe it or not, for the last few days I've been running NO 3rd party firewall at all. I decided to configure IPSEC as a basic packet filter and use that for a while. I get stealth at grc on all ports. No logging at all. But the only thing bad about using IPSEC this way is that when you allow traffic out and in on remote port 80, then someone could theoretically use a source port of 80 and get into your system to scan ports and so on. I don't worry much about that because I have nothing open here at all on TCP ports. So anyone trying to get in would just get a bunch of closed ports. Interesting to mess with it though. :)

Right now I'm running an old version of ZA, 2.6.362 Pro. No bloat and nothing you don't need, yet a good stateful firewall. Too bad they didn't keep it that way and skip all the useless junk that's been added since then.

I still like Jetico a lot and am keeping an eye on it. But just when I get one firewall that works pretty well and am happy with it, I start to play with another one. I think it must be a disease or something... :D

Tiny is really cool, but I couldn't figure out how the firewall rules worked. I attempted to disable DNS completely while I was playing with it, but I couldn't. No matter what rules I deleted relating to Services.Exe and DNS and so on, DNS always seemed to work. I wonder if it's hard coded into Tiny or something? Very weird anyway. There's a new Tiny 6.5 about ready to be released with a new interface. I might try that again when it's released.

22. iwod

iwod Registered Member

Honestly i have TRY ALL the firewall listed in softpedia, webattack, and all those no13 listed. none of them fits in. Most of them would be too high resource.

I honestly want Jammer back.

Dreaming of Jammer 3.

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

What kind of resource usage would you be satisfied with?

24. no13

The recent conversations DEMAND ONLY simple app control... if you wanna pass ALL leaktests... get TPF.
    @ Diver
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=348399&postcount=65&hl=securepoint
    both a-wall and securepoint are BASIC app control... nothing lese... securepoint has SPI based packet filtering too, I think
    Maybe like Kerio 4, it needs 127.0.0.1:0 to be available for its personal use all the time?
    I don't remember jammer as well. But if you can explain what all it did... maybe I can suggest a combo?

25. nameless

No thanks--I can do that for free, and with great support--with JPF.

And Jetico doesn't spam me like Tiny Software did for months on end, due to refusing to remove me from their mailing list, until I finally reported them to SpamCop.net.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.