AntiSpyware Test

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by wings, Jan 17, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wings

wings Registered Member

http://www.adwarereport.com/mt/archives/000004.html?SOURCE=goog&KEYWORD=spyware review

Shows again that products like XoftSpy, Ad-Aware or Spybot are extremely overrated, something I already discovered myself. But then again, you will always have those blindfolded :cool: members who just believe everything a long-time member is saying. Don't believe everything you hear, do your own tests and if tests like these confirm what you've discovered yourself, well that's even better, but don't rely on tests only.

2. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

first

Yes, I'll be the first to buy the Aluria product! Or, maybe not :eek:

Oh - and XoftSpy is definitely not a good product - it was a rogue application up until recently and I still wouldn't touch it. I even tested that one myself to be sure.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2005
  4. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Hm they didn't even work too hard at their fake review.

Take note that the Ad-Aware listed is the pay version only - but then the chart says it does not detect spyware as it installs. In fact, that is the primary reason someone might pay for Ad-Aware - the pay version (pro) has "ad-watch."

5. wings

wings Registered Member

No offense, but I don't care so much what you think to be honest, since you're no expert, like the majority on this board.

This post is not about a test with ALL the answers, this is just another test (of so many) that confirms my own findings. Get it?

I could also have posted this test: http://www.anti-spyware-review.toptenreviews.com/?ttreng=1&ttrkey=spyware eliminator review

The point is; I don't depend on one single test and don't depend on the opinion of a handful of people have no clue and the 100 who follow them blindfolded.

The one I prefer to use is Giant, with a few others as ondemand. This post is not about what's the best scanner, it's about a confirmation which scanners are extremely overrated.

But sometimes dozens of tests also confirm what's the top, like for example with KAV AV that always in the top 3 and most of the times on #1, but people still use all that other crap. :D

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

I'm not an expert, and don't have intentions to be, but some users, here, can know the same or more than the "Experts" of this forum...

And I will try to not reply to any question that you can make on this forum...

Best regards

7. Replier

Replier Guest

To wings - If you don't care what other ppl think, then what makes you think they care about what you think o_O especially when you are SO rude.

There's just NO need for it at all. So why waste our time and yours posting in the first place !!!

Get well soon

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Your other site is also an advertising site. These are all over the place with the advertiser's own product listed as #1 :rolleyes: The more you pay the higher you rank then fill in the bottom with the folks who won't pay.

9. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

securityuser - I have removed your post as it was off-topic to this thread.

wings - if you are going to make a post here, then be prepared for feedback from other members on the topic. Saying "I don't care so much what you think..", helps no one.

If this thread is to remain open, then I will ask that everyone stay on topic, refrain from rude and flame-like comments, and respect each other's right to agree or disagree.

Regards,

snap

10. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Exactly as Detox points out!! This is hardly an unbiased comparison, it's simply an advertisement for their own product!

11. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

hey wings, if ya cant take the heat dont get in the line of fire!!!!!!!!!!!

12. _Alex_

_Alex_ Guest

Hi guys!
    What ratings and charts of anti-spy products are you talking about? What is being tested? What do they compare? Which signature database's bigger? Free upgrades and all that crap? Well, what do you want to protect yourselves from? Maybe you don't want spyware steal your SSN or something like that. So what this stuff you're talking about has to do with it? BTW, all these ratings don't in fact mean anything.
    Well, think about it – just imagine I am able to write a Trojan or a keylogger which will steal your PINs, passwords, SSNs, etc – even if there will be a dozen of Ad-Aware or SpyBot S&D on your machines. In a week it might be in the databases, though. Or maybe not. You won't even know somebody stole your info.
    So, people, you are fooling yourselves with all these testings.
    Why I am talking about all that? I think we should protect ourselves from very PROCESS of keylogging, not from separate keyloggers. Products should be universal. There are already several ones that can do the job. I'll name one - Anti-keylogger (from Raytown corp., the same guys that made PC Acme). And they won't pay me for posting this, whatever you may think - I don't really care.
    I'm just fed up with all blah-blah-blah here

13. scott lang

scott lang Registered Member

as i told wings if ya dont like it dont post. frankly, the people here who run this forum know their stuff and dont need snide and rude people like you and wings dissing them.

14. Paul Wilders

Paul Wilders Administrator

In case you would have bothered to check Eric Howes comparion chart as mentioned earlier on, you should have noticed there are rather different criteria at stake. I do advice you to do some good reading.

...could the answer be: spyware?

Well, most experts on the field strongly believe otherwise.

This isn't about spyware. Keyloggers for example are quite a different story. Seems you are messing things up here. As for trojans, backdoors etc.:
    The principle you describe is in fact all days life. Antiviruses as well as Antitrojans do update databases and include heuristics for good reasons. Practicing safe hex is a well known fact of life as well. What else is new? :rolleyes:

...once more: being informed before posting would surely prevent going rather off topic.

Did it ever occur to you, process-guarding doesn't stop at keyloggers? I case you want all essential processes being guarded - not that bad a choice - give for example Process Guard a try.

No offence intended as fo Anti-Keylogger - but although a nice piece of software; it doesn't scope the range a real dedicated Process Guard does.

...I'm fairly convinced they didn't pay you for posting this.

No need for stating this; it's quite obvious you don't.

Well, no one is holding you back from hanging your hat elsewhere.

regards,

paul

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.