Anti Trojan comparatives?

Discussion in 'other anti-trojan software' started by JerryM, Jan 16, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I find comparisons of AVs and firewalls, but I have not seen a comparison of Anti-Trojan programs.

I am using A2 trial, and the only one I have noticed folks ask for comparison of A2 and Ewido.

How does Boclean compare with those, and what is the consensus as to the best 2 or 3 anti trojan utilities?

Jerry

2. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

Seems here, in no paticular order,

TDS

Trojan Hunter

Boclean

Of those 3, i have only used Boclean, and it has done well by me.

snowbound

3. .....

..... Registered Member

Personally i think ewido is the best anti trojan scanner. It does best out of the three i tried (trojan hunter, a2, ewido) against my selection of ~300 trojans (mostly older ones... >1 year old)

4. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

5. TopperID

TopperID Registered Member

Unfortunately the above review is already out of date. Both Ewido and A2 have come on in leaps and bounds since August 2004! For example A2 is stated to be version 1.1 with a data base of 28,000 sigs, whereas the current version is 1.5.2 with a data base of 85,000 sigs! The Ewido improvements are only mentioned as a 'stop press'.

Both Ewido and A2 are therefore currently performing better than these tests suggest (even though the tests are very favourable!).

6. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

You are correct, but it's the only review that I know about anti-trojans...

7. mercurie

mercurie A Friendly Creature

Fellow Creatures,
    There is a site I think this link works anti-trojan.com which is anti-trojan.org

www.anti-trojan.com

Some here may already know about it, good information but limited in it's reviews. :(

8. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi,

I am a licensed user of TrojanHunter, Ewido, TDS-3, and BOClean. All bought at different times for different reasons.

First, I would like to say that ever since I installed Firefox, KAV 4.5, and ProcessGuard 3.0, I seem to have minimal amount of malware problems on my machine. Malware just doesn't seep through anymore.

I use Ewido and BOClean for resident AT protection. They haven't detected anything in a really long time. I think it is a toss-up between the two. Both have good support and both have daily automatic updates. If you try out both and can't decide, I can only suggest a coin-flip. Both use about the same amount of resources and are friendly with other resident programs.

I do not run TDS-3 in resident Exec mode because it is not as friendly as Ewido or BOClean. However, I have found that it has the deepest and broadest coverage of the AT programs, so I run it about once a week. But as I said, ever since I installed my primary protection as I described above, nothing has been able to get through.

TrojanHunter is similar to Ewido and BOClean, but on my machine it is not as resident friendly, so I run it on-demand, now and then, just for an extra check. It too has not found anything in a really long time.

I hope this helps.

Rich

9. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

richrf,
    I am assuming that you have all on one machine. Do you deactivate all but one at a time? How do you set them up so that they do not conflict?

Thanks,
    Jerry

10. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi Jerry,

Right now I have KAV, ZAP, Ewido, BOClean, and PG 3.0 running pretty much full time. When I want to run an on-demand scan, I turn off Ewido's real time protection and shut down BOClean. All seem to run in the background without any conflicts. TDS-3 Exec and TrojanHunter had more conflicts than others. These I run only in the background now and then. I've taken down Giant AS real-time, since it has become pretty superfluous, but once in a while I run it just for the heck of it, since I paid for a full time license. Ad-aware still provides good scan capabilities. Spybot, not so much any more.

Rich

11. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

Thanks, Rich for the information. I am not well versed in these things to be able to know what will conflict with what. I had a problem with A2, and I don't know what it was specifically, but it shut down my AV, I think. I didn't want to fool with it, and so I just got Ewido. So far it is doing great, and I like it better than A2.

Until just now I did not have an anti-trojan program. I guess that would be one a person could do without, but I figured I would try to secure my information and machine as well as I reasonably could.

Thanks again,
    Jerry

12. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Your welcome.

Rich

13. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The Security Software section of the Scheinsicherheit forum has summaries of detection rates against a custom trojan library (check the "Scan Log" threads).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.