Which AV would you recommend

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by slimanno, Jan 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. slimanno

slimanno Registered Member

hi guys
    which AV would u suggest i use for a company with 50 computers on a LAN and WAN?
    thanx
    PS i'm just a bit undecided cuz there're so many out there
    any suggestions wld be welcome

2. puff-m-d

puff-m-d Registered Member

Hi slimanno,

I have moved your thread to the other anti-virus software forum which is more appropiate for your question, and will assure it gets the most attention.

3. Sweetie(*)(*)

Sweetie(*)(*) Registered Member

Hi NOD32 is a leading AntiVirus which has 1 of the fastest and most accurate scanning engines on the market, virtually all systems ive worked on show no lag or slow down when using NOD32.

They have recieved numerous VirusBulliten awards, an Microsoft use an endorse it.

you can read more about it HERE

4. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

If they are not to be used for personal email and browsing, I would recommend Symantec Corporate 9.

5. nixie21

nixie21 Registered Member

I use this at home, any reason I should not?

6. Edwin024

Edwin024 Registered Member

It's far heavier in CPU and memory consumption than for instance NOD

7. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

I am just alot more into security personally. I wouldn't have any firewall or AV by Symantec on my system here. Please do not start a flaming war on Symantec folks, I am just answering his question. :D :D

8. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I'd recommend MicroWorld's eScan Corporate Edition if you want ease of installation. Its Management Console offers easy installation, distribution of updates and uninstallation of popular other AV software, all from one PC.

This means that from your PC, you can manage installation, uninstallation, updation etc. of all 50 PCs on your LAN! This would really make things easy won't it? And eScan is not too much of a memory hog, but the On Demand Scan WILL eat the CPU. Also, its NetBios Firewall/Remote Access File Rights Feature should give you reasonable protection from hackers.

The choice is yours. I have not tried SAV Corp 9 but I think it might be good.

EDIT:- By saying 'not too much of a memory hog' I mean that It does consume about 20MB memory, but the slowdown is generally very little.

Best Regards and a good life always!
    Firecat

Last edited: Jan 15, 2005
  9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

10. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I agree with BigC TWICE...
    #1- For a company with 50 computers on a LAN and WAN, you most definitely want the *enterprise* version of a good antivirus.
    #2- McAfee produces one of the VERY best enterprise AVs there is, bar none.

11. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I say SAV 9 over McAfee, both are good choices, but has anyone ever really tried to work with the damned epo console! Argh! SAV's mmc snapin is much easier IMO.

12. bigc73542

It has not been a problem at all, besides it is automated once you set your peramaters.

bigc

13. dan_maran

dan_maran Registered Member

I guess it is just personal, I just think SAV is easier to deal with. But McAfee is so good in an large deployment. It is truely a toss up.

14. bigc73542

I guess we are fortunate that we have as many choices as we do to choose from.

bigc

15. Zom

Zom Guest

Another reasonable price solution is Grisoft AVG Network Edition, we use AVG at our factory/office with more than 300 machines over 1 year without any problems, it's easy to deploy and manage in our large network and we also use FortiGate Antivirus Firewall from Fortinet at geteway, these two products work in harmony.

http://www.sourcewire.com/releases/rel_display.php?relid=QAiiL

16. coppertrail

coppertrail Registered Member

Take a good look @ Computer Associates eTrust Antivirus 7.1 for the best enterprise AV solution.

17. nadirah

nadirah Registered Member

If you're a home user and you want a free and lightweight antivirus, I would recommend avast antivirus home edition. For enterprise or large businesses try avast antivirus professional edition. www.avast.com

18. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

Where did you optain the information about Microsoft using and endorsing NOD32. I'm not doubting your word, just curious. [​IMG] The only reason I ask is because they use Trend Micro in their new virus removal tool.

19. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

20. Mannaggia

Mannaggia Registered Member

21. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

my vote is for NOD32, but Symantec would also be a good option for an enterprise as long as ppl arent high risk web surfers.

22. securityuser

securityuser Guest

I was at a conference recently and I heard it a hundred times as to the question WHICH AV??
    "It doesn't matter. Watch resource use, match it to your system and keep it updated. Anymore, there is just not that much difference."
    The options: AVG, McAfee, Norton, Trend, Panda, Nod32, and others.
    My opinion: I agree with the sentiment I heard. Choose an interface you like, don't use one that requires too much from what your PC can give (resources) and keep it updated. Too many variables to have an all around "best."

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

How is your LAN/WAN administered? Will updates be pulled or pushed? How will you be administering configuration and deployment? If you have that already lined out, which products fit the constraints (it could be anything if these are discrete workstations pulling updates from the vendor), and of those fitting the constraints, which work best with the application mix (RAM-file I/O-CPU intensive? local/served storage?) used on the LAN? Sorry if these points are too obvious.

Blue

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.