Spyware Guard disappears from task bar

Discussion in 'SpywareBlaster & Other Forum' started by Matrix069, Jan 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Matrix069

Matrix069 Registered Member

Spyware guard seems to be a great program. However, it seems that the SG logo disappears from the task bar after a couple of days (I have checked the Arrow to show all items). If I uninstall and then reinstall, it re-appears again for another couple of days. I have run ad-aware, spybot, spywareblaster, antivirus software etc and am pretty confident the system is not infected with anything.
    It appears as though the program is still running though as it appears in the task list (CTRL-ALT-DEL).
    Is anyone else having similar problems, or does anyone know of a solution?

Thanks

2. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hi Matrix069, and welcome to the forum.

As long as you are seeing the two files, sgmain.exe and sgbhp.exe, in your Task Manager, then SpywareGuard is running. You can read through the below thread where LowWaterMark gives a more detailed description of SpywareGuard's icons and their functions.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=18537

Are you using XP? In the thread above dvk01 does mention that this may be more an XP bug with keeping icons in the system tray, but other than that possibility, there doesn't seem to be any kind of pattern with the SG icon randomly disappearing from the system tray that would help determine the specific cause.

Edited to add - I just noticed you said it takes an uninstall and reinstall before the SG appears back in the system tray. Does not a reboot of the computer bring the icon back? That usually would, or should do it.

Regards,

snap

Last edited: Jan 11, 2005
  3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Has this been mentioned anywhere? The hide inactive icons feature of XP.

Attached Files:

4. Matrix069

Matrix069 Registered Member

Thanks for the replies on the problem. Ronjor, I checked the hidden icons and yes, it was enabled. I disabled it but the icon did not re-appear. Thanks for the suggestion though. In an event of the icon becoming inactive, I would think that by pressing the arrow, it should appear again, even if only temporarily.

I then looked deeper at the suggested link given by Snapdragin. The program is definitely running, even though the icon is not displayed. The CTRL ALT DEL suggestion is the one that put back the icon.
    Just to answer your question, I dont think the SG icon comes back on a restart. Once it disappears, it seems to go for good. By killing the sgmain and sgbhp processes and then re running the spywareguard icon does bring back the taskbar icon. My guess is that when I restart the PC in the morning, the icon will probably disappear again. But at least if I want to go into the program, I have a workaround now that will get me there.

The interesting thing is that I have tried this program on other PC's (Spreading the word with my mates!) and it doesnt seem to disappear at all on their machines.

Once again, thanks for your help. If someone does know what particular file or program is causing the taskbar icon to disappear, please let me know!! (Or better yet, let microsoft in on the secret! ;) )

5. champfan

champfan Registered Member

I know this is an old thread but I try anyway :)

I also have the problem with the disappearing SG icon. However, I noticed that the problem occured after installing a new version of my Sygate v. 5.6 firewall

I don't know if Sygate v5.6 causes the disappearing icon but it came after installing this version. I had no problems before with the old Sygate version. The funny thing is that it came back after reinstalling and was gone after a couple of days :(

Hopefully someone at Wilders can help.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.