how do i see the addresses im connected to?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by iceni60, Jan 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi. i mainly use TCP View to see the connections made on my computer, and it does show the remote addresses im connected to, but only when the connections are being made, so, right now if i look, all the remote addresses look like this...

Remote Address.
    my computer name
    localhost:1053
    localhost:1054

earlier today my browser was only connected to wilders' and proxomitron popped up to ask if i wanted to make a secure connection with a site, i think it must have been for one of my RSS feeds. so i wanted to see what i was connected to. when i looked in TCP view, all the remote addresses looked like they do above.

so how do i see all the addresses of the places im connected to? thanks :)

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  3. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, GF :) i did try afew, but not all, netstat switches at the time, and they just showed the ports in use. i'll have a look at your links though, thanks. i thought someone would have the answer straight away o_O surely there must be a way of showing the remote addresses of all the connections you are conneted to? i tried afew other port monitors that i have too, but that's all they show ports, not addresses, they do show them as they are in use, when the connection is being made, but after that it's just the assigned ports that are given. if anyone knows, please let me know, if i find out i'll post too :)

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Do you have a firewall log to look at?

5. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

I also read this Ron but didn't think to post.

GF

6. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

the firewall logs were the last thing i checked before i posted, i wanted to make sure i wasnt imagining a program could record addresses. but i think it only shows addresses you have or are connected to. not just what you are connected to at that exact time. im going to have a think about it. and check properly all the programs i have. i think maybe a karenware or sysinternal program will do it. :doubt:

7. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

over the past few days i have been looking for a program that will do this, i even asked on another forum, and the answer there was netstat, which only shows assigned ports and not remote addresses. i have found TDIMon TDIMon is an application that lets you monitor TCP and UDP activity on your local system, it will show the remote addresses, but only while it is running, so if you want to see what addresses you are connected to it will have had to have been running when the connections were made. there is away around this however, and that's to install TCPView Pro. with TCPView Pro the TDIMon driver is loaded at boot, so you will be able to see all remote addresses.

does anyone know how i can get the TDIMon driver to load at boot? without getting TDIMon Pro?

also, is there a freeware program that will show remote addresses, even if the program hasnt been started when the connexions where made? thanks :)

8. CrazyM

CrazyM Firewall Expert

Port to process monitors will usually only work while running and I am not aware of any free ones that run as a service. You may have to rely on something like firewall or router logs if they are configured to log outbound connections.

Regards,

CrazyM

9. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

hi, CrazyM :) thanks for reading this thread. in the past i didnt like to order things over the internet, that's mainly why i asked for freeware. i know more now on securing my computer, so shareware is fine too.

do you know a shareware program which can do it. have you tried TCPView Pro too? thanks :)

10. kareldjag

kareldjag Registered Member

Hi,

Just a little coffe pause's reply.

I sometimes use IpTicker for ip informations.

IpTicker is little tool to detect unsoliced IP activities in Windows connections.

*easy to use,
    *real-time monitoring of IP's destinations,
    *integrated on the systray.

Free with limited functions.

http://www.soft-trek.com.au/prjIPTicker.asp

Have a nice test.

Regards

11. nick s

nick s Registered Member

Hi iceni60,

Try Microsoft's Port Reporter (PortRptr.exe):

Port Reporter logs TCP and UDP port activity on a local Windows system. Port Reporter is a small application that runs as a service on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 this service is able to log which ports are used, which process is using the port, if the process is a service, which modules the process has loaded and which user account is running the process.

You can find an extended description and add-on tools here: Availability and description of the Port Reporter tool. I have used it and it does work well. If you need help setting it up, let me know.

Nick

12. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

thanks, kareldjag. sorry i didnt see your post when i first came back to this thread, i'll go and have alook at IpTicker now, thanks for the help.

Nick, wow, where do you find these things o_O PortReporter will keep me amused for awhile :D . i think i'll run it on automatic. thanks for the program. :)

13. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just had alook at IpTicker and it looks really good too, but i get a socket error because it needs raw sockets to run :mad: . i have disabled raw sockets.

14. nick s

nick s Registered Member

If you want watch the log files in real time, try Xtail 1.0 and open the log files in \system32\LogFiles\PortReporter.

Nick

15. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i'll give it a try, thanks, Nick :cool:

16. iceni60

iceni60 ( ^o^)

i just wanted to say thanks for this - Xtail, it's great. i have just been using it with PortReporter then to keep it "always on top" i used DeskPins i'm just shocked i managed to get three unconnected programs to work so smoothly together. Thanks :cool:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.