Full backup Image to DVD

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by Mal76, Jan 7, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello All,
    this is my first post here so greetings to you.
    I installed Acronis 8 yesterday, and today did a full backup of my c drive.
    This appears to have been done ok and I have verified it with Acronis programme.
    I would now like to transfer my backup to DVD the size is about 7GB.
    I realize that transfer to another hard drive is preferable but I do not have one.
    My question is how do I do this. I have Nero but that says will not fit on disk or is this done through Acronis if so I am obviously missing something as I do not see the means.
    Thanks for any help you may give,
    Regards,
    Mal76

2. bobbyjak

bobbyjak Registered Member

Do not use the Automatic on size selection..Select Fix Size and then select a size from the box..If nothing shows other than Automatic, the TrueImage is not recognizing your DVD drive..If that is the case, contact Acronis support to
    see if your drive is supported or if there is a bug..

3. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Bobbyjak,
    Where would I have seen size selection?.
    The image I have saved is on my hard drive. I am trying to transfer this from HDD to DVD.
    When I try this in Nero UDF it says the image is too big to fit on disk. How do I overcome that?.
    Thanks for your input.
    Mal76

4. Menorcaman

Menorcaman Retired Moderator

Hello Mal76

Have a look at option 2 in this previous <post>. In order to create the smaller .tib files you will need to recreate the image to your hard drive but this time choose "Fixed size. Please, specify the size:" whilst using the Create Image Wizard. See screenshot below.

In addition, for increased reliabilty, I recommend you set your burner's write speed to something less than maximum.

Regards

Attached Files:

5. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Menorcaman,

I don't remember seeing that screen with Image size, but I will try your suggestions and post back.
    It will probably have to be tomorrow though. Much to do at the moment.
    Thanks for your response,
    Regards
    Mal76

6. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Menorcaman,
    I had a quick look for the screen you posted and of course it's there. Thank you for posting that.
    I will try tomorrow.
    bye for now.
    Mal76

7. ratcheer

ratcheer Registered Member

Also, I'm not sure how important it is, but there is a strong suggestion in another thread that you specifically set that size to "1.9 GB" for copying the resulting image files to DVD. I don't understand why that specific size, but I have been using it.

Tim

8. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello all,
    I have tried the backup as you suggest Menorcaman, and fixed the size to 1.9GB.
    I used that size because I thought the archives would go onto two disks,
    That is 2x1.9gb and the remaining on 2nd disk.However using Nero burn image, Nero would not accept a 2nd archive so had to use 3 disks. Is this correct?.
    Anyway all appears to have gone ok. Hopefully the backup is ok.
    One question though, when using the backup from dvd, will trueimage detect
    this change of disk ok and continue the backup seamlessly.
    Ratcheer if you look at Menorcamans earlier post he shows a link to the explanation of 1.9GB.
    My thanks to Bobbyjak, Menorcaman,and your interest ratcheer.
    Best wishes to All,
    Mal76

9. Menorcaman

Hello again Mal76,

In your original post you stated that your total image size was about 7GB. Therefore I assume that you've now ended up with four .tib files - three at 1.9GB and one at around 1.3GB. Correct? If so, then I don't understand why the third and fourth .tib files couldn't be burnt to the second (completely empty??) DVD.

All things being equal - yes. Just bear in mind that you'll need to load the last volume of a particular backup set as the first disk when restoring the image.

Additionally, "Exploring" an image that has been split across two or more volumes requires that all the individual .tib files be copied back to one folder on your hard drive first.

Regards

10. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi! Menorcaman,
    Regarding the 7GB size on harddrive, I was remembering 6.9GB which I see in antivirus scan and thought it would be that size when in fact I have 1.992/1.992 and 1.807.
    When I used Burn Image in Nero and attempted to burn the second image, it said (from memory,) put in empty disk, so I could not seem to burn the second image to same disk. I realize this is probably something I am doing wrong, but at that moment I put in the other disk.
    The DVD disks were all new disks.
    Thanks for the info re. loading in reverse order to restore image.
    When copying into one folder for exploring an image, do I simply copy the three folders to one folder on hdd?.Is this what you mean when you say all individual tib files?.
    Thanks again for your continued help.
    Regards Mal76

11. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

Burn the first two TIB files to a single DVD with Nero. That's one single step.
    Then burn the last remaining TIB file to a second DVD.

The reason for the 1.9GiB size, is that is the maximum file size on an ISO9660 filesystem. The UDF filesystem removes this limitation, but you can't do certain things with a UDF-only disc, such as making it bootable.

12. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hello wdormann,
    I understand about 1.9 size as Menorcaman directed me to the post explaining that.
    Perhaps I should explain again that I used Nero burn Image and selected the first 1.9GB file to burn. I burned that and then attempted to burn a second
    1.9GB file to the same disk, but Nero said the disk is not empty, put in empty disk.
    I know that this is a question about Nero, but how do I put both to same disk.
    Thanks for replying,
    Regards Mal76

13. wdormann

wdormann Registered Member

You don't want to "burn image"
    Just make a standard data DVD. Drag both files to the project and burn.

14. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Hi! again wdormann,
    Thanks for that re. burn image. Will the burn images be ok or should I do them again in the way you suggest.ie. drag into standard data dvd.
    Great help from you guys,
    Mal76

15. Menorcaman

Hi Mal76,

In case you're not sure how to do that proceed as follows:

1. Run Nero and elect to create a new compilation. In the New Compilation dialogue screen select "DVD-ROM (ISO)", on the Multisession tab select "No Multisession" and then click the "New" button. See Screenshot 1 below.

2. Browse to your hard drive .tib files via the File Browser section in the compilation window. Select your two 1.9GB tib files and drag and drop them over to the DVD section of the compilation window. When done burn the new compilation (preferably at less than max write speed). See Screenshot 2. Incidentally, for better utilization of the DVD capacity, I choose to use the 635MB files size when creating the split image. Therefore, in my example, I've dragged seven .tib files into the compliation section.

3. Repeat steps 1 and 2 in order to burn your third .tib file to another DVD.

Hope the above is not construed as "teaching granny how to suck eggs".

Regards

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 8, 2005
  16. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Menorcaman,
    Not at all about the eggs. and your reply is appreciated.
    I took your point about the smaller files, as you said in the link of earlier post.
    It was just that, as I was thinking that I would be using two disks, then it didn't matter because I would not be using the remaining space for anything else.But I would certainly use that advice re.smaller files and I fully understand the economics of it.
    I would still raise the question again. Are the disks that I have used burn image to any good or should I scrap them and repeat as per your example?
    Thanks for your clear example.
    Regards Mal76.

17. Menorcaman

Provided you obtained a good burn to all three DVDs (hence reason I recommend dropping down a step on the write speed) you should be able to restore from them without a problem. Depending how often you intend to save images to DVD you might want to consider using DVD+/-RW disks in future ;)

You might also like to consider including a MD5 checksum file in each DVD compilations in order to verify the individual .tib files prior to carrying out a restore. See post #50 in this <thread> for further details.

Sorry, I forgot to answer one of your questions in a previous post above:

Yes. Just use Windows Explorer to drag-and-drop the .tib files from the three DVDs (comprising the backup set) into a single folder on your HD.

Regards

18. Mal76

Mal76 Registered Member

Menorcaman,
    I think I obtained good burns, and I had reduced burning speed,as you suggested earlier, so I think I will risk them, but take advice to use
    DVD+/-RWs in the future. At the moment I do not have any.
    I will also consider an external hard drive, and I have also downloaded Easy MD5 creator from the link in your post, but think thats a fight for another day.
    Thanks for your time and patience with me and to others who helped.
    Best Regards,
    Mal76

19. Menorcaman

Pleased this forum could help. Happy imaging (and, hopefully, not too much restoring!!).

Regards

20. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am in a similar position of having (too hastily) made a .tib backup of a 40Gb hard drive that is slightly too big to fit onto a DVD. Further, when I tried to restore this 5Gb .tib to my hard drive, after adjusting downward (with Disk Administrator) to make room for the partitions (in order to remake as smaller .tib files) my v7.0 wouldn't let me restore. Says I need an unformatted HD to restore to, which is not at all easy or convenient for me to provide.

Are there any other ways to split a too-big .tib file, so I can archive to DVD?

21. Menorcaman

Hello laserfan,

I'm afraid you can't split a .tib file correctly once it has been created.

Is there a reason why you can't just create a new image, choosing to split it manually to the required size? If the reason is a shortage of disk space, can you create an image direct from TI to DVD RW as per the User's Guide or Acronis Online FAQ instead?

Regards

22. laserfan

laserfan Registered Member

Thanks, but the way I understand it, the only way I can make a new image is to first restore my backup/tib file. The image was for a 40Gb disk with 3 partitions (I backed-up a Dell HD and then re-did the computer). The 40Gb drive is "preoccupied" doing other things now!

Again, both the original partitions and the image file are too big for a single DVD-R or RW.

23. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello laserfan,

Thank you for choosing Acronis True Image (http://www.acronis.com/homecomputing/products/trueimage/).

We are really sorry for the inconveniences.

We are planning to implement the option of splitting an image after its creation. Current version of Acronis True Image doesn't allow you to divide the image file into several parts.

Also please note that current version of Acronis True Image doesn't support DVD-R. Instead, you may use DVD+R, DVD+RW and DVD-RW.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

24. TheQuest

TheQuest Registered Member

Hi, Acronis Support

Does that mean #971 will write to that media now? [direct]

If not do you have any Idea when please?

Take Care,
    TheQuest :cool:

25. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello TheQuest,

Current version of Acronis True Image (and server versions as well) cannot write to DVDs directly. I ment that we cannot guarantee the correctness of the work (image creation and restoration) with DVD-R but only with other medias listed in the previous post.

Our Development Team is working on direct writing to DVDs and we expect this feature to be implemented in future versions.

Thank you.
    --
    Ilya Toytman

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.